ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   The Lounge (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Albert/Joeckel perspective (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=272267)

DaneMcCloud 04-19-2013 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 9604427)
Since 2004, when the rules changed dramatically to give the offense an advantage, 7 of 9 Super Bowl winning QB's were drafted in the 1st round.

The 8th was Tom Brady, and the 9th was Drew Brees - who was taken withing the first 32 picks.

All seven were drafted and developed by the teams they won with.

It's not a coincidence, but go ahead, continue to push all-in with 8-4 offsuit.

Better yet, let's create a hole and use that 1.1 your so adamant about wasting on a potential franchise QB to fill the hole - on the OL - which is about the least important group when it comes to winning championships.

So, the Chiefs should just take a QB to take a QB? Because that's the "hip" thing to do?

DaneMcCloud 04-19-2013 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 9604427)
Since 2004, when the rules changed dramatically to give the offense an advantage, 7 of 9 Super Bowl winning QB's were drafted in the 1st round.

Ed said 1.1. So, Couch, Carr, Jeff George, etc. and so on don't count now?

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 9604427)
The 8th was Tom Brady, and the 9th was Drew Brees - who was taken withing the first 32 picks.

All seven were drafted and developed by the teams they won with.

It's not a coincidence, but go ahead, continue to push all-in with 8-4 offsuit.

Yeah, why don't you go ahead and link us all to where I've stated the Chiefs should never take a QB in the first round.

That's going to take you a while to find, BTW, because it doesn't exist.

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 9604427)
Better yet, let's create a hole and use that 1.1 your so adamant about wasting on a potential franchise QB to fill the hole - on the OL - which is about the least important group when it comes to winning championships.

Way to pop into a thread and make assumptions.

RealSNR 04-19-2013 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9604434)
So, the Chiefs should just take a QB to take a QB? Because that's the "hip" thing to do?

Because it's a smart bet.

If they "hit," they can consider themselves officially out of this shitty hole they've been stuck in. And they'll very likely stay that way for a long time.

If the QB is mediocre, he's still an upgrade over Matt Cassel. It's possible to win that way.

If the QB is a bust, they'll continue losing. However, at this point that potential scenario is almost completely offset by the acquisition of Alex Smith provided the Chiefs are smart about it.

patteeu 04-19-2013 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 9604427)
Since 2004, when the rules changed dramatically to give the offense an advantage, 7 of 9 Super Bowl winning QB's were drafted in the 1st round.

The 8th was Tom Brady, and the 9th was Drew Brees - who was taken withing the first 32 picks.

All seven were drafted and developed by the teams they won with.

It's not a coincidence, but go ahead, continue to push all-in with 8-4 offsuit.

Better yet, let's create a hole and use that 1.1 your so adamant about wasting on a potential franchise QB to fill the hole - on the OL - which is about the least important group when it comes to winning championships.

You can't will a QB into a superbowl winner by using a first round pick on him.

OnTheWarpath15 04-19-2013 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9604434)
So, the Chiefs should just take a QB to take a QB? Because that's the "hip" thing to do?

Apparently the "hip" thing to do is use a band-aid to cover a chainsaw wound year after year.

20 years, no playoff wins.

20+ years, no franchise QB on this team.

Not a coincidence.

This draft class is not the abomination the media has led the sheeple to believe. Both Geno and Barkley have the skillsets to be franchise QB's. The best thing that could have happened to them was to come here - instead, they'll get drafted by an organization that gives them zero chance to be successful, and people will scream, I WAS RIGHT!

Christ, even Aaron Rodgers wouldn't likely have become Aaron Rodgers had he been drafted by sat Buffalo or Cleveland.

These guys are AT LEAST as good a prospect as guys like Ponder and Locker, and they both went early. IMO, they are both better prospects.

With that said, I'd rather have a Locker or Ponder starting at QB - at least then there's a glimmer of hope they might turn into something special - instead, we know damn good and well that 10 wins and a 1st round curbstomping is our ceiling thanks to the love affair Andy has with Alex.

29 wins in 6 years, and not a goddamn thing to show for it.

Hootie 04-19-2013 04:31 PM

OTWP

Quit being a fan.

Pretty simple.

BYE

RealSNR 04-19-2013 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 9604469)
You can't will a QB into a superbowl winner by using a first round pick on him.

It's far more difficult to will a 5th round project into a Super Bowl winner than it is to will a #1 overall QB to a Super Bowl winner.

OnTheWarpath15 04-19-2013 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9604463)
Because it's a smart bet.

If they "hit," they can consider themselves officially out of this shitty hole they've been stuck in. And they'll very likely stay that way for a long time.

If the QB is mediocre, he's still an upgrade over Matt Cassel. It's possible to win that way.

If the QB is a bust, they'll continue losing. However, at this point that potential scenario is almost completely offset by the acquisition of Alex Smith provided the Chiefs are smart about it.

Exactly.

This "have to win this year" bullshit is exactly that - bullshit.

We have to win this year, but at the expense of the future?

That's ****ing retarded.

Without a legitimate QB, you don't win a championship in this league.

There's one place to find a legitimate QB - the 1st round of the draft.

You certainly aren't getting him off of someone else's scrap heap, or late in the draft. Those days are over folks. Kurt Warner is a Powerball ticket. Tom Brady is lightning striking the same spot twice.

Hootie 04-19-2013 04:36 PM

you guys can say it is a media conspiracy

but every ****ing god damn year I can remember for forever there has been a QB that has risen to the top and everyone was like "yep, top 5 pick for sure"

well other than the Pennington year

and all of the scouts have basically said "meh, no...no this year. Sorry."

I'm inclined to think that, unfortunately, there just wasn't an elite QB this year (prospect wise).

Can one of them end up being a franchise player? of course

but you can't fault the Chiefs for not reaching for a QB just because it is a QB

RealSNR 04-19-2013 04:38 PM

The way things are going, I'm betting the Chiefs get lucky and find their franchise QB in the middle rounds on a lottery ticket pick before they even DRAFT a single QB in the first round.

DaneMcCloud 04-19-2013 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9604463)
Because it's a smart bet.

It's not smart if you don't like the available talent

patteeu 04-19-2013 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9604482)
It's far more difficult to will a 5th round project into a Super Bowl winner than it is to will a #1 overall QB to a Super Bowl winner.

I don't think you can do either.

Hootie 04-19-2013 04:39 PM

cool

I'm done worrying about it. If the Chiefs suck forever the Chiefs suck forever. Being angry and posting angry messages every time I come to ChiefsPlanet like OTWP doesn't seem like a real productive way to spend my life. I'd rather talk about rape and roofies and pina coladas.

DaneMcCloud 04-19-2013 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 9604484)
Exactly.

This "have to win this year" bullshit is exactly that - bullshit.

We have to win this year, but at the expense of the future?

That's ****ing retarded.

Without a legitimate QB, you don't win a championship in this league.

There's one place to find a legitimate QB - the 1st round of the draft.

You certainly aren't getting him off of someone else's scrap heap, or late in the draft. Those days are over folks. Kurt Warner is a Powerball ticket. Tom Brady is lightning striking the same spot twice.

Sorry, I disagree. I don't think there's a first round guy this year that's capable of winning a Super Bowl. I just don't see it.

Personally, I find it more likely that a second or third round guy (Dysert, Nassib, Bray) that sits on the bench for a few years has a far better opportunity than someone like Smith, who will likely be forced to start Day One.

I'm just not seeing it this year. It sucks, but it is what it is.

DaneMcCloud 04-19-2013 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9604494)
The way things are going, I'm betting the Chiefs get lucky and find their franchise QB in the middle rounds on a lottery ticket pick before they even DRAFT a single QB in the first round.

So, what's wrong with that?

JFC, some of you guys act as if there are certain rules that the Chiefs must follow in order to make you "happy".

It's pretty silly.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:24 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.