ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Music KISSTORY (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=282813)

GloucesterChief 04-07-2014 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD10367 (Post 10547457)
And Zep was just a blues band with electric instruments. You can spin things many ways. I'm not saying KISS was "Mozart meets Beethoven" but they have their place in history.

Yes, a hard blues band that explored a number of different styles of music and each one of them were extremely talented musicians. They helped define a style of music.

KISS might of influenced a lot of people to start making music but their actual artistic and musical influence is pretty minimal. They didn't have a Jon Bonham, Robert Plant, Jimmy Page, Keith Moon, Pete Townsend, Ian Gillian, Richie Blackmore, Geezer Butler, or Tony Iommi.

ThatRaceCardGuy 04-08-2014 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott free (Post 10542322)
Ah, the first hater chimes in... atleast someone besides myself and rockymountain has something to say, I guess..

Doesn't ultimately matter if YOU think they're any good or not though... the album sales are what they are, they dominated hard rock in the 70's and there is nothing you can do or say to change that.

Don't be a ****ing snob, just because you don't like it doesn't mean it wasn't worthwhile, and seriously, you wanna talk about influential? better get your head outta the sand...

...The Spice Girls album sales and Bake street boys too...

htismaqe 04-08-2014 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloucesterChief (Post 10547472)
Yes, a hard blues band that explored a number of different styles of music and each one of them were extremely talented musicians. They helped define a style of music.

KISS might of influenced a lot of people to start making music but their actual artistic and musical influence is pretty minimal. They didn't have a Jon Bonham, Robert Plant, Jimmy Page, Keith Moon, Pete Townsend, Ian Gillian, Richie Blackmore, Geezer Butler, or Tony Iommi.

Why does that have to be understated?

The Who might have had a huge artistic and musical contribution but they didn't INFLUENCE hardly anybody. When you talk to artists who started in that era, almost all of them say they were influenced by Jeff Beck, Eric Claption, and/or the Yardbirds...

cosmo20002 04-08-2014 09:14 AM

Been around a long time, some good songs, a lot of bad ones, used to sell a lot of albums, but not really anymore, still sells a lot of tickets, their fans love them, but critics never really have...

KISS is Bon Jovi with makeup and more explosions.

:popcorn:

htismaqe 04-08-2014 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmo20002 (Post 10547903)
Been around a long time, some good songs, a lot of bad ones, used to sell a lot of albums, but not really anymore, still sells a lot of tickets, their fans love them, but critics never really have...

KISS is Bon Jovi with makeup and more explosions.

:popcorn:

How many musicians said "I got started in music because of Bon Jovi"?

:harumph:

Nzoner 04-08-2014 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 10547947)
How many musicians said "I got started in music because of Bon Jovi"?

:harumph:

Don't try making sense to cosmo you'll never win.

Deberg_1990 04-08-2014 09:54 AM

Lots of bands started up after first experiencing Nickelback

Omaha 04-08-2014 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 10548007)
Lots of bands started up after first experiencing Nickelback

Stop it.

Omaha 04-08-2014 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloucesterChief (Post 10547472)

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 10547754)
Why does that have to be understated?

The Who might have had a huge artistic and musical contribution but they didn't INFLUENCE hardly anybody. When you talk to artists who started in that era, almost all of them say they were influenced by Jeff Beck, Eric Claption, and/or the Yardbirds...

He's illiterate. Don't pick on him.

Your statement is very true for guitar players. Those guys were icons and they were very influential. I think you're underestimating The Who's influence on music. It was huge. Pete Townshend didn't wow too many people with his playing, but he sure did with his songwriting. Keith Moon would be in the same class as Beck & Clapton for drummers. He was insane.

cosmo20002 04-08-2014 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omaha (Post 10548046)

Your statement is very true for guitar players. Those guys were icons and they were very influential. I think you're underestimating The Who's influence on music. It was huge. Pete Townshend didn't wow too many people with his playing, but he sure did with his songwriting. Keith Moon would be in the same class as Beck & Clapton for drummers. He was insane.

I seem to recall Moon being mentioned a lot. From the 70s, its usually Moon, Bonham and Peart that I hear mentioned. I know I just heard Dave Grohl go on about Moon in some Foo Fighters documentary I saw recently.

htismaqe 04-08-2014 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omaha (Post 10548046)

I'm not underestimating their influence on MUSIC but I'm downplaying their influence on MUSICIANS.

There are a half dozen songs from The Who that you could put in any top 100 list musically. KISS, not so much.

See the difference?

htismaqe 04-08-2014 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmo20002 (Post 10548064)
I seem to recall Moon being mentioned a lot. From the 70s, its usually Moon, Bonham and Peart that I hear mentioned. I know I just heard Dave Grohl go on about Moon in some Foo Fighters documentary I saw recently.

Now you're talking about individual performers. That should tell you something, considering none of the guys in KISS would be mentioned individually.

Of course, drummers wanted to emulate Moon, Peart, and Bonham.

But bands (an entire decade of them actually) wanted to emulate Led Zeppelin, Rush, and KISS. The same can't necessarily be said of The Who.

cosmo20002 04-08-2014 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 10548073)
Now you're talking about individual performers. That should tell you something, considering none of the guys in KISS would be mentioned individually.

Of course, drummers wanted to emulate Moon, Peart, and Bonham.

But bands (an entire decade of them actually) wanted to emulate Led Zeppelin, Rush, and KISS. The same can't necessarily be said of The Who.

Even if you're saying the Who's music didn't inspire (I don't agree), at the very least Daltrey and Townshend's performances did. You're telling me Townshend's playing style wasn't emulated?

I'm not a KISS hater, but so much of KISS is their image. They are really very unique, without really anyone to compare. I remember as a kid thinking how cool KISS was, and I think that was before I really knew a single song. Just my opinion, but it is hard to imagine the band and a lot of those songs holding their popularity all these years without the over-the-top theatrics (makeup, explosions, breathing fire, Gene flying, etc.) The show has become iconic I think much more so than the music.

htismaqe 04-08-2014 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmo20002 (Post 10548101)
Even if you're saying the Who's music didn't inspire (I don't agree), at the very least Daltrey and Townshend's performances did. You're telling me Townshend's playing style wasn't emulated?

You mean Townshend's patented "windmill"? You know that's 100% image and has nothing to do with guitar technique, right?

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmo20002 (Post 10548101)
I'm not a KISS hater, but so much of KISS is their image. They are really very unique, without really anyone to compare. I remember as a kid thinking how cool KISS was, and I think that was before I really knew a single song. Just my opinion, but it is hard to imagine the band and a lot of those songs holding their popularity all these years without the over-the-top theatrics (makeup, explosions, breathing fire, Gene flying, etc.) The show has become iconic I think much more so than the music.

I totally agree. We're talking past each other, methinks.

cosmo20002 04-08-2014 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 10548154)
You mean Townshend's patented "windmill"? You know that's 100% image and has nothing to do with guitar technique, right?

His windmill, among other things. I'm not a musician, but I assumed the windmill was for looks. You said bands didn't want to emulate The Who. I'm saying at the very least, the way Daltrey, Townshend and Moon (Entwhistle was a statue) performed on stage did inspire later bands.