ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life *.* 2014 General Fitness Thread *.* (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=280149)

BigCatDaddy 01-01-2014 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 10327072)
Why are you doing this? Competition?

Do your lifts suffer without carbs or do you work in refeed days?

I just want to give it a shot and see what happens for now. I've never really done it before. I've heard both ways on the lifts. There is a great thread on pro hormone forum by one of Patrick Arnold's reps that has a ton of info. I'll link it later.

Demonpenz 01-01-2014 08:24 PM

My lifts were good low carb, I do sleep a ton though.

BigCatDaddy 01-01-2014 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demonpenz (Post 10327086)

The guy was setting pr's on keto.

lewdog 01-01-2014 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy (Post 10327082)
I just want to give it a shot and see what happens for now. I've never really done it before. I've heard both ways on the lifts. There is a great thread on pro hormone forum by one of Patrick Arnold's reps that has a ton of info. I'll link it later.

Well I do think it matters if you're "assisted" with being able to extend the low carbs and keep lifts up without refeeds or needing less of them.

lewdog 01-01-2014 08:30 PM

Quote:

Well it does matter how advanced a lifter you are. Newer lifter are able to keto longer and keep lifts up much easier than advanced lifters who are scrapping for 5-10lb strength gains over 4-8 week periods.

BigCatDaddy 01-01-2014 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 10327106)
Well I do think it matters if you're "assisted" with being able to extend the low carbs and keep lifts up without refeeds or needing less of them.

Lol. Yeah I'm sure it does. I'll post up how it's going every few weeks. Maybe some pics just for you ;)

Silock 01-02-2014 12:01 AM

Well, when the reps are lower, you also don't need carbs as much (or at all, really).

I'm deloading this week. Shoulder is a bit ****ed up right now, so I want to give it a break. I set some PRs last week, anyway. Right knee MCL is still strained, so I bought a brace. We'll see if it helps when I play tomorrow night. If not, I may be looking at some extended time off.

Aspengc8 01-02-2014 08:00 AM

Quote:

Low Carb =/= keto. I did keto once, never again. Lost some strength and just looked flat as hell overall. Now I just take in carbs pre & post workout only. I have heard that keto works well if you just after purely strength and are working in the 80-90% 1rm rep range. Not sure why anyone who is serious about building muscle would try to avoid insulin though, you need it.

BigCatDaddy 01-02-2014 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aspengc8 (Post 10327825)
Low Carb =/= keto. I did keto once, never again. Lost some strength and just looked flat as hell overall. Now I just take in carbs pre & post workout only. I have heard that keto works well if you just after purely strength and are working in the 80-90% 1rm rep range. Not sure why anyone who is serious about building muscle would try to avoid insulin though, you need it.

How long did you run it for? I read the muscle fullness eventually returns.

BigBeauford 01-02-2014 08:46 AM

Finally broke the 10 minute per mile mark on a 4 mile run @ 9.53 per mile pace. Keep chopping away!

Aspengc8 01-02-2014 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy (Post 10327877)
How long did you run it for? I read the muscle fullness eventually returns.

About 8 months. I ran a 'cleaner' version of the Anabolic Diet (basically a CKD). The fullness returned on the weekends, when I was allowed a carb-refeed day. If you not taking in carbs, you will burn through your muscles glycogen stores, hence the flat look. It will not replenish it fully without eating some carbs, which is why I think targeted keto diet or just low(er) carbs is a better option. There's a lot of good read out there on carb back-loading, or just eating them around workouts. The basis is that while insulin is low, glucagon is high, which means your burning fat for energy. Then you up the insulin around workout times via carbs. Doesn't have to be a lot, 50g pre & post is more than enough for most lifters with a day desk job.

There are a lot of good lower carb options out there.
Targeted Keto Diet - carbs around workout only
Cyclical keto diet - carb refeed day once a week (usually a weekend day)
Carb back-load - carbs only AFTER workout

Ketosis is not really needed on any of these, keeping control of insulin is what is important.

ping2000 01-02-2014 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demonpenz (Post 10327034)
Used to lift in "the Hell" when I was younger. I was back to the place to lift a bit today.

Where is the hole where you keep the girl and the bottle of lotion?

Simply Red 01-02-2014 10:36 AM

I'm on the machines at my complex for probably all of January - then I'm looking to gym it up. I'll outgrow what we have here pretty darned soon.

Also yesterday I went to Panera Bread and ordered a Chicken Caesar Salad - double chicken add egg. Protein injection yo.

Silock 01-02-2014 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aspengc8 (Post 10327825)

Protein will spike insulin, too. Especially whey. You won't be able to stay in ketosis all day, anyway. But protein will not keep you out of it for as long as other foods would.

Aspengc8 01-02-2014 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 10328124)
Protein will spike insulin, too. Especially whey. You won't be able to stay in ketosis all day, anyway. But protein will not keep you out of it for as long as other foods would.

Yeah whey will, but obviously not as much as a high carb meal. The bulk of calories on keto need to come from fat anyway, so whey shouldn't even be on the menu. Fatty steaks with blue cheese crumbles FTW.