ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Money Are you keeping track of gasoline use for tax deductions (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=244866)

Okie_Apparition 05-07-2011 12:28 AM

Are you keeping track of gasoline use for tax deductions

?

pr_capone 05-07-2011 12:29 AM

debtfree?

CrazyPhuD 05-07-2011 01:35 AM

And this is useful to exactly who? For most people it's not, because before it even becomes relevant you have to be driving quite a bit for business(commuting to and from work never counts) or you have to be driving quite a bit for medical expenses. Even then, if your car gets anything above absolutely shitty gas mileage, you're likely better off with the standard mileage rates UNLESS you have major repair bills and you used your car for business/medical for a significant portion of it's use that year.

So next time how about you give some context instead of just asking a question out of your ass.

KurtCobain 05-07-2011 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyPhuD (Post 7625823)
And this is useful to exactly who? For most people it's not, because before it even becomes relevant you have to be driving quite a bit for business(commuting to and from work never counts) or you have to be driving quite a bit for medical expenses. Even then, if your car gets anything above absolutely shitty gas mileage, you're likely better off with the standard mileage rates UNLESS you have major repair bills and you used your car for business/medical for a significant portion of it's use that year.

So next time how about you give some context instead of just asking a question out of your ass.

Take your shit to DC.

notorious 05-07-2011 07:02 AM

Every penny, mile, and gallon is accounted for in a ledger inside of every one of my work vehicles.

Spott 05-07-2011 07:06 AM

I was forced to work out of town for the last 3 months of last year and the 1st three months of this year and was driving 2200 miles a week. The deduction helps but out of about $5000 I spent on gas in 3 months, I got maybe a thousand extra back on my taxes.

Okie_Apparition 05-07-2011 09:47 AM

Quote:

That is a whole lot of asshole, right there.

patteeu 05-07-2011 10:06 AM

Quote:

Agree

Demonpenz 05-07-2011 11:03 AM

I counted every mile last year I drove to work, praying to God I would get some money back. After I got done eating at applebees and getting my taxes done at Liberty tax they informed me that it wouldn't apply. ****ed up world we live in

alnorth 05-07-2011 11:05 AM

If you guys are deducting mileage driven to/from work, you better not get audited.

There are not many people for whom this applies. Say you drive to your work or business (not deductible), and then after you hypothetically "punch in", your work or business requires you to drive around your car, yeah that is deductible. Driving back home is not.

There are some exceptions. If your job requires you to drive a tremendous amount of miles to a work site, usually temporarily or very occasionally (say you have to drive 500 miles a few times a year to some regional office or whatever), that can also be deductible. Thats obviously not a normal commute.

Some people who tried to get creative have also gotten nailed. Specifically, some thought they found a loophole when they make a phone call in the morning on a multi-level marketing business, then drove to work arguing they are driving from their first job to the second job, that doesn't fly. Driving from a work-at-home job to another completely unrelated job also counts as non-deductible commuting.

Simplex3 05-07-2011 11:13 AM

If you own the business talk to your accountant about selling your car to your company, then having the company provide your car back to you as a perk or incentive. Then you don't need to track the mileage.

Mr. Laz 05-07-2011 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KurtCobain (Post 7625824)
Take your shit to DC.

what does his post have to do with DC?

Okie_Apparition 05-08-2011 12:36 AM

Dick Content

alnorth 05-08-2011 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laz (Post 7626180)
what does his post have to do with DC?

Probably not DC, but that last remark was probably a bit harsh.

Chief Pote 05-08-2011 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simplex3 (Post 7626048)
If you own the business talk to your accountant about selling your car to your company, then having the company provide your car back to you as a perk or incentive. Then you don't need to track the mileage.

If your car is a perk or incentive, are you required to show that as 3.00 per day income on your W2? I'm probably answering my own question....but that would mean that the company would pay for gas? Right?