ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Other Sports NBA Offseason thread 2013 edition (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=274317)

Al Bundy 07-05-2013 02:12 PM

NBA Offseason thread 2013 edition

Looks the Warriors are dumping Biedrins and Jefferson in a salary dump to Utah

ChiefAshhole20 07-05-2013 02:14 PM

They signed Igoudala, makes it seem near inevitable Dwight's going to Houston.

Al Bundy 07-05-2013 02:23 PM

I'm also seeing that Brandon Rush is headed to Utah.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 07-05-2013 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefAshhole20 (Post 9793875)
They signed Igoudala, makes it seem near inevitable Dwight's going to Houston.

Actually it prob makes GS more attractive to Dwight. Still have Bogut and Barnes to unload

mcaj22 07-05-2013 02:26 PM

Curry + Iggy and then any of the others a combination as a sign and trade to the Lakers for Dwight?

probably take Klay and Barnes or Lee.

'Hamas' Jenkins 07-05-2013 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcaj22 (Post 9793896)
Curry + Iggy and then any of the others a combination as a sign and trade to the Lakers for Dwight?

WTF?

Why would Howard sign off on that? He'd be moving from one dilapidated team to another. They only thing the Lakers will get back as a sign and trade are draft picks and end-of-bench guys. Every person the team getting Howard has to trade to get him makes the team acquiring him worse.

-King- 07-05-2013 02:46 PM

Quote:

That would just be stupid. The Lakers aren't signing and trading Dwight to anybody. And the Warriors would be stupid as hell to give all that up for Dwight.

mcaj22 07-05-2013 02:58 PM

okay then no sign and trade, all they have to do is move Bogut and they can offer Dwight a deal around 14 million

so if he wants to be a team player, by all means there ya go. Sign and trade was under the assumption he wants a max contract

ChiefAshhole20 07-05-2013 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcaj22 (Post 9793921)
okay then no sign and trade, all they have to do is move Bogut and they can offer Dwight a deal around 14 million

so if he wants to be a team player, by all means there ya go. Sign and trade was under the assumption he wants a max contract

What makes you think he would ever choose to be a team player over a max contract?

Ceej 07-05-2013 03:05 PM

Sure hope B-Rush can stay healthy.

Goodness.

Pitt Gorilla 07-05-2013 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Al Bundy (Post 9793873)
Looks the Warriors are dumping Biedrins and Jefferson in a salary dump to Utah

That would be awesome. What is It going to cost them?

Pitt Gorilla 07-05-2013 03:23 PM

Quote:

ROFL

LoneWolf 07-05-2013 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefAshhole20 (Post 9793926)
What makes you think he would ever choose to be a team player over a max contract?

If his decision is driven solely by money than he will stay in L.A. They can offer the most money per the CBA.

mcaj22 07-05-2013 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefAshhole20 (Post 9793926)

because he would just choose the Lakers.

he still very may choose them cause of money, but you'd have to think the front runners now for the "team talent" option are the Warriors over the Rockets.

So if he wants the money, Lakers, if he wants the talent, Warriors.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 07-05-2013 03:32 PM

Mavs are officially out of running.

ChiefsCountry 07-05-2013 03:35 PM

Jazz will have two KC area players on the roster - Rush and Alec Burks.

Warriors will look pretty good next year if they are healthy.

Curry
Klay
Iggy
Lee
Bogut

kcxiv 07-05-2013 03:45 PM

I hope he picks the warriors. Best chance for the Lakers to get younger. I hope klay is in the deal that boy can shoot.

KevB 07-05-2013 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 9793912)
That would just be stupid. The Lakers aren't signing and trading Dwight to anybody.

Sure they would, if Dwight says he's not coming back to LA and GSW offers young talent in S&T.

ShowtimeSBMVP 07-05-2013 03:56 PM

Sam Amick ‏@sam_amick 1m

Dwight Howard has chosen to sign with the Houston Rockets, @USATODAYSports has learned. Story to come. - http://ow.ly/mH7dN

KC_Connection 07-05-2013 04:00 PM

Howard to Houston, then. Sets them up pretty well for the next few years. If he can ever reach the level he was at a few years ago again, Harden and him will have the Rockets being a real contender in the West.

-King- 07-05-2013 04:01 PM

They'll be a title contender if they can get Josh Smith to sign also.

KevB 07-05-2013 04:05 PM

Houston was dead in the water before Harden trade. Now, they're one of a handful of teams capable of winning a ring. Damn impressive year from Dork Elvis.

Al Bundy 07-05-2013 04:07 PM

This sets up well for the Warriors. 13-14 is going to be fun.

-King- 07-05-2013 04:08 PM

Asik now wants out and has no interest in playing with or behind Howard.

Looks like the Josh Smith sign-trade will happen.

KC_Connection 07-05-2013 04:10 PM

Kobe's going to be pissed. What's next for the Lakers?

kcxiv 07-05-2013 04:12 PM

Wait til u get a chance to see Howard on offense every game he's ****ing terrible. Does everything else really good but offense is piss poor at best.

This is kinda better for the Lakersbig time money for 2014 for Bron or melo. Was hoping for that sign n trade though.

kcxiv 07-05-2013 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 9793988)

Like it always was 2014

Mr_Tomahawk 07-05-2013 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 9793988)

The end of an era.

Al Bundy 07-05-2013 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fruit Ninja (Post 9793989)
Wait til u get a chance to see Howard on offense every game he's ****ing terrible. Does everything else really good but offense is piss poor at best.

This is kinda better for the Lakersbig time money for 2014 for Bron or melo. Was hoping for that sign n trade though.

That was never going to happen.

Mr_Tomahawk 07-05-2013 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fruit Ninja (Post 9793989)

LBJ is not going to LAL.

mcaj22 07-05-2013 04:18 PM

and why would Melo leave his home/the place hes always wanted to play lol

KevB 07-05-2013 04:22 PM

Perhaps Asik goes back to Lakers in S&T? I assume Houston still trying to figure a way to get Smoove and perhaps Calderon. Anybody willing to trade for Lin?

Calderon, Harden, Parsons, Smoove and Dwight? Not sure you win a ring with Smoove and Howard, but damn that team would be fun to watch. I'd buy season tix regardless. The power has definitely shifted in the West. Goodbye Denver and LA. Hello Houston and GSW. Spurs, OKC and Memphis should also still be good. Clippers have gotten better, both on the floor and on the bench. Minny should be better if they re-sign Pek and they can stay healthy this year. Pelicans will be better and will contend for a playoff spot. West is just loaded.

kcxiv 07-05-2013 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Tomahawk (Post 9793995)
LBJ is not going to LAL.

I don't think so either but there is gonna be a lot of money to spend on someone.

Lakers will get back to the top that's not a concern for Lakers fans for god sake in my 36 years on this earth they been to the finals 16 times. That's what like close to 40 percent I think.

Its just who is the next guy

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 07-05-2013 04:24 PM

Harden-Howard are going to be so good! No more Asik killing assist after assist. Good player otherwise though... wish him the best.

kcxiv 07-05-2013 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudy Was Offsides (Post 9794001)
Harden-Howard are going to be so good! No more Asik killing assist after assist. Good player otherwise though... wish him the best.

Lol yes it will Dwight is terrible on offense unless its a lob or an open dunk. Howard is bad on offense. Great rebounder and off ball defender and that's it pretty much .

KevB 07-05-2013 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fruit Ninja (Post 9794004)
Lol yes it will Dwight is terrible on offense unless its a lob or an open dunk. Howard is bad on offense. Great rebounder and off ball defender and that's it pretty much .

You say Howard is bad on offense, but Rocket fans spent the season watch Asik man the center position. It will be like bringing Kareem into the fold by comparison.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 07-05-2013 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fruit Ninja (Post 9794004)

Harden is going to get Howard dunks all game

kcxiv 07-05-2013 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevB (Post 9794008)
You say Howard is bad on offense, but Rocket fans spent the season watch Asik man the center position. It will be like bringing Kareem into the fold by comparison.

The thing is now or gonna count o. Howard in the post. You will see. I seen every game by the Lakers last year and Howard got better in every phase of his game but the offense as the season went along. Well free throws but that's not expected to get better. Its down right ugly when he has the ball.

KC_Connection 07-05-2013 05:00 PM

Houston needs to get rid of Lin too if they really intend to contend this year. He'll hold them back if he keeps playing extended minutes.

KevB 07-05-2013 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 9794026)
Houston needs to get rid of Lin too if they really intend to contend this year. He'll hold them back if he keeps playing extended minutes.

Certainly, and then replace him with Calderon who has indicated interest in playing with Howard. Puts another plus shooter on the floor, and he's not much worse defensively than Lin.

Start Croyle 07-05-2013 05:15 PM

Edit: Oh crap, I should read the news before posting!

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 07-05-2013 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 9794026)

Meh. He's above-average. I'i have little doubt he'll develop into a 40% 3-point shooter. I'm fine with him or without him

ChiefAshhole20 07-05-2013 06:03 PM

If you are familiar with Harden's game at all, you will realize that Howard is a perfect partner for him. He either shoots a three, drives in for a layup (and attempting to get an and-1 every single time) or dishes out/in while he drives in. All Dwight has to do is catch and dunk, or rebound and dunk. There is no post game necessary.

I'm not as optimistic about Smith however. The past few years he has developed some bizzare idea that he is a 3-pt shooter, and consistently passes up opportunities to score in the paint, where he excels, for bad shots in the corner. In a way, I suppose that would be good for Howard and Harden to open up the floor, but if I were Mchale and co. I'd want to utilize his talents that you're paying a max contract for.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 07-05-2013 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefAshhole20 (Post 9794074)
If you are familiar with Harden's game at all, you will realize that Howard is a perfect partner for him. He either shoots a three, drives in for a layup (and attempting to get an and-1 every single time) or dishes out/in while he drives in. All Dwight has to do is catch and dunk, or rebound and dunk. There is no post game necessary.

I'm not as optimistic about Smith however. The past few years he has developed some bizzare idea that he is a 3-pt shooter, and consistently passes up opportunities to score in the paint, where he excels, for bad shots in the corner. In a way, I suppose that would be good for Howard and Harden to open up the floor, but if I were Mchale and co. I'd want to utilize his talents that you're paying a max contract for.

Great assessment. Never was a huge fan of Smith. Aldridge would be ideal.

kcxiv 07-05-2013 06:11 PM

Howard not gonna like being option 2 all the time. Then the same shit will happen with Dwight. He wants to be the man not a side kick. Some folks have no clue I guess.

Urc Burry 07-05-2013 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fruit Ninja (Post 9794081)
Howard not gonna like being option 2 all the time. Then the same shit will happen with Dwight. He wants to be the man not a side kick. Some folks have no clue I guess.

He chose to go to the rockets. It's not going to be a problem

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 07-05-2013 06:20 PM

Quote:

Lakers fan gonna Lakers fan. Enjoy your POS team

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 07-05-2013 06:26 PM

And the Rockets are able to trade Royce White to the 76ers!!! Even better news

KevB 07-05-2013 06:28 PM

I was looking up options for Asik, and looked up the stats on Ryan Anderson. He'd be a perfect stretch 4 for Houston, and Asik is much needed in NO after they lost Lopez. I go over to Twitter, and Woj reports there may be discussions centered around those two players. Really good fit for both players, and frankly, Anderson a better fit for Houston than Josh Smith.

kcxiv 07-05-2013 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudy Was Offsides (Post 9794094)
Lakers fan gonna Lakers fan. Enjoy your POS team

Yeah I've enjoyed 10 finals wins and 16 finals appearances.
I never wanted Howard to begin with I was very vocal about it on this board and Lakers nation. He's not the kind of center that can carry a team to the promise land.

I've seen what kind d of centers that can do that. I been watching the NBA long enough to figure it out.

Its kind of like we all k ow Alex smith isn't taking the chiefs anywhere. We just know he's not the kind of qb that's not gonna do it.

TEX 07-05-2013 06:29 PM

Quote:

LMAO Houston is a lot more laid back environment and Harden does not have Kobe's ego. I think its a great fit for both. Just BEAT L.A. in EVERY WAY POSSIBLE GO ROCKETS!

Sassy Squatch 07-05-2013 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fruit Ninja (Post 9794111)
Yeah I've enjoyed 10 finals wins and 16 finals appearances.
I never wanted Howard to begin with I was very vocal about it on this board and Lakers nation. He's not the kind of center that can carry a team to the promise land.

I've seen what kind d of centers that can do that. I been watching the NBA long enough to figure it out.

Its kind of like we all k ow Alex smith isn't taking the chiefs anywhere. We just know he's not the kind of qb that's not gonna do it.

kc nut mult?

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 07-05-2013 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevB (Post 9794109)
I was looking up options for Asik, and looked up the stats on Ryan Anderson. He'd be a perfect stretch 4 for Houston, and Asik is much needed in NO after they lost Lopez. I go over to Twitter, and Woj reports there may be discussions centered around those two players. Really good fit for both players, and frankly, Anderson a better fit for Houston than Josh Smith.

Just saw this. Interesting. I haven't watched much of Anderson at all. I guess he shoots a ridiculous amount of threes, which fits what the Rockets want to do.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 07-05-2013 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TEX (Post 9794112)
LMAO Houston is a lot more laid back environment and Harden does not have Kobe's ego. I think its a great fit for both. Just BEAT L.A. in EVERY WAY POSSIBLE GO ROCKETS!

Boom

'Hamas' Jenkins 07-05-2013 06:39 PM

I remember people piling on Morey after last offseason. The guy is an awesome GM. He managed to build a title contender without tanking for an elite draft pick. That is nigh impossible.

ChiefAshhole20 07-05-2013 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevB (Post 9794109)

Agreed. He can actually make the shots that Josh are going to ill-advisedly take. Plus, his contract will be much less

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 07-05-2013 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 9794131)
I remember people piling on Morey after last offseason. The guy is an awesome GM. He managed to build a title contender without tanking for an elite draft pick. That is nigh impossible.

It's outstanding. I hated the Luis Scola era, and thought tanking would be best, but Morey put a foot in my ass.

tk13 07-05-2013 06:56 PM

This is just like when Howard went to the Lakers. People will start listing them as a favorite. Howard really should be a guy that wins multiple titles but at the end he's always been too soft mentally. He is only 27 though. He probably has another 3-4 years to reach his potential.

ChiefsCountry 07-05-2013 06:57 PM

Morey has turned Kevin Martin, Kyle Lowry, and Jeremy Lamb into James Harden and Dwight Howard.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 07-05-2013 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13 (Post 9794155)
This is just like when Howard went to the Lakers. People will start listing them as a favorite. Howard really should be a guy that wins multiple titles but at the end he's always been too soft mentally. He is only 27 though. He probably has another 3-4 years to reach his potential.

Maybe. But the Rockets were already young and ascending

tk13 07-05-2013 07:09 PM

I agree with that... and Morey's a good GM. But I don't know... this excites me even less than him going to the Lakers did. If Kobe and Steve Nash can't get him to play hard I don't know who will.

The Bad Guy 07-05-2013 07:28 PM

I'm sick of it already. As a Lakers fan, I'm indifferent about all of this. I don't think he's a max player. I don't think he's the cornerstone everyone makes him out to be. I think he's mentally weak. He's a force no doubt, but he's not one of the 5-10 best players in this league.

Why not just come out and tell the Lakers he's going to Houston? Why meet with the team tonight and now have it floating that the extra money is hard to turn down?

Why make this a huge soap opera?

tk13 07-05-2013 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 9794218)
I'm sick of it already. As a Lakers fan, I'm indifferent about all of this. I don't think he's a max player. I don't think he's the cornerstone everyone makes him out to be. I think he's mentally weak. He's a force no doubt, but he's not one of the 5-10 best players in this league.

Why not just come out and tell the Lakers he's going to Houston? Why meet with the team tonight and now have it floating that the extra money is hard to turn down?

Because that's all he's ever done. Did it for years with Van Gundy, did it last year, and this is the biggest stage he may ever get.

Mr_Tomahawk 07-05-2013 07:35 PM

I, too, am a Lakers fan and think the guys is overrated and really could give a shit if he comes or goes.

That said...I don't know where this franchise goes for the their future. Kobe is done. He will have a good nights every so often, but it's time to go out and get that young superstar, whomever that may be.

tk13 07-05-2013 07:38 PM

All these tweets are within the last hour.

@AlexKennedyNBA Dwight Howard will meet with the Lakers very soon and then an official decision is expected "tonight or tomorrow morning." #almostover

@jadande: Apparently, still no official word from Dwight Howard to Lakers.

@mcten What's the big hold up? "It's hard to walk away from $30 million," said a source close to Dwight Howard. "Harder than we thought."

@ramonashelburne: Lakers STILL have not been informed by Dwight or his camp.

@AlexKennedyNBA This meeting is the Lakers' last chance to persuade Dwight Howard to stay. Mitch Kupchak will be in attendance. Trying to find out who else.

tk13 07-05-2013 07:46 PM

Now ESPN is going full bore with this story. Gotta give some credit to that Alex Kennedy, he was all over it.

ESPNNBA On @SportsCenter, @Chris_Broussard reports Dwight Howard has had a change of heart, is now 50-50 on decision to leave Lakers

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 07-05-2013 07:51 PM

Haha.... Only Dwight

the Talking Can 07-05-2013 07:53 PM

houston thought they had him...now he is 'waffling' per twitter reports

that would be cruel if he has a last minute change of heart...

The Bad Guy 07-05-2013 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Tomahawk (Post 9794232)
I, too, am a Lakers fan and think the guys is overrated and really could give a shit if he comes or goes.

That said...I don't know where this franchise goes for the their future. Kobe is done. He will have a good nights every so often, but it's time to go out and get that young superstar, whomever that may be.

I'm willing to see it play out. I have no idea either, but then again in 2004 I thought that the Lakers were finished and Kobe was leaving.

The Bad Guy 07-05-2013 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13 (Post 9794242)
Now ESPN is going full bore with this story. Gotta give some credit to that Alex Kennedy, he was all over it.

ESPNNBA On @SportsCenter, @Chris_Broussard reports Dwight Howard has had a change of heart, is now 50-50 on decision to leave Lakers

Brousard is the biggest asshole reporter.

He was on the radio saying the Lakers camp heard from Dwight's reps saying he was Houston bound. Now it's a different story.

He's the worst. The absolute worst. Brousard and Howard should marry each other except Brousard clearly hates gay people.

Shogun 07-05-2013 07:59 PM

Lol if Dwight gets pringles fired

ChiefsCountry 07-05-2013 08:00 PM

I will wait till Adrian Wojrnawoski reports on it. He is nails.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mother****erJones 07-05-2013 08:01 PM

Quote:

What made me truly shake my head, was the media saying Kobe's challenge about winning championships turned Dwight off. Like Dwight man don't you want to win? If you're a max player you gota win.

Mother****erJones 07-05-2013 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 9794260)
Brousard is the biggest asshole reporter.

He was on the radio saying the Lakers camp heard from Dwight's reps saying he was Houston bound. Now it's a different story.

He's the worst. The absolute worst. Brousard and Howard should marry each other except Brousard clearly hates gay people.

I cannot stand listening to Broussard he's so annoying. The black Adam Schefter (annoying wise; no concrete sources like Schefter)

CaliforniaChief 07-05-2013 08:02 PM

I think the Lakers should just pull the offer off the table and walk away. He is such a diva. And let's be honest, even if he tells the Lakers "yes", there's still 4 days until anything can be made official. By that time, he might be playing hockey in Australia.

Walk away, Mitch.

Mother****erJones 07-05-2013 08:03 PM

I was so glad the Bulls didn't trade Noah in a package for Howard a couple years ago.

SAUTO 07-05-2013 08:16 PM

If no Howard I think the lakers could be a dark horse for Lebron next year...
Posted via Mobile Device

Titty Meat 07-05-2013 08:19 PM

Quote:

He's there chance at them being good. Otherwise you hope you win the lottery and get wiggins though we don't know how good he really is.

tk13 07-05-2013 08:31 PM

Guess we'll ride along this guy's reports to the bitter end.

@AlexKennedyNBA It's Houston. Source close to Dwight Howard confirms that he'll join the Rockets. He'll inform the Lakers and make an official announcement.

ShowtimeSBMVP 07-05-2013 08:32 PM

Los Angeles Lakers ‏@Lakers 1m

Statement from GM Mitch Kupchak: http://on.nba.com/14ZsLgV "We have been informed of Dwight's decision to not return to the Lakers."