ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Teicher:DeVito, an addition to the Chiefs’ defensive line, can’t wait to get started (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=271416)

chiefzilla1501 03-24-2013 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 9525335)
Ryan used a lot of blitz because the Jets lacked any semblence of a pass rush threat.

I don't agree with that. That implies that Ryan only ran the defense because of the talent available. I think Ryan would have run a similar defense regardless of who he coached. And a curious question to ask is whether Ryan's defense would have been much more successful if he had true pass rushers like Hali and Houston.

In Ryan's defense, DeVito plays a nice role because he is versatile in a different way than we're used to. We're used to versatility meaning the ability to flex between playing DE and OLB. In this case, DeVito has tremendous versatility to play in lots of different interior alignments. He can play either 4-3 DT position or he can play 5-technique or nose tackle. And all 4 of those positions are very highly used in a Ryan defense because Ryan likes to flex between 3/4 and 4/3 fronts, which is a staple of the Ryan defense.

It's not a sexy pick. But I don't think we should get too hung up on the idea that he's not a penetration or pass rush guy. We can't look at him like a Romeo or a 1-gap defense. In a Rex Ryan scheme, he has a very valuable role.

mcaj22 03-24-2013 11:32 AM

i just want a guy that can push the pocket

like every other 34 defense has in the league. at least one player that will generate pressure on a passing down.

chiefzilla1501 03-24-2013 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ponderception (Post 9525431)
Romeo is probably one of the few guys who nearly always uses an odd front, which requires both DEs to play 2gap tech.

Ryan and Sutton both will play 2 gap from the odd but also use a variety of fronts out of their base 3-4 alignment (over ed, under reduce, etc) which will usually involve 1 DE playing 2gap principles whilst the NT and other DE playing upfield techs/principles.

Yup, and Ryan runs a lot more 4-3 alignments than a traditional 3-4 coach does. In Baltimore, he often trotted out Ngata and Gregg on the same line, two mammoths. At other times, it was Gregg/Bannon or Gregg/Kemoeatu. In New York, he liked to trot out DeVito and Pouha, also two big meaty guys. In other words, Ryan's defense likes two meaty guys on his line at all times, and he wants the versatility to change alignments with the guys on the field. One of the reasons I really like the DeVito signing (assuming, that is, that Sutton's defense is going to work)

chiefzilla1501 03-24-2013 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcaj22 (Post 9525564)

like every other 34 defense has in the league. at least one player that will generate pressure on a passing down.

This is not a traditional 3-4 defense. If Ryan's defense works, having a guy like DeVito is a very good thing to have.

mcaj22 03-24-2013 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9525580)
This is not a traditional 3-4 defense. If Ryan's defense works, having a guy like DeVito is a very good thing to have.

you are going to be really sad when they are running the same 2 gap in the 34 sets.

chiefzilla1501 03-24-2013 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcaj22 (Post 9525966)
you are going to be really sad when they are running the same 2 gap in the 34 sets.

You are going to be sad when you realize you're wrong.

It seems unbelievably clear that sutton wants to run Rex Ryan's defense. It is not anything close to Romeo's 2-gap. Sutton has already said he is going to blitz like crazy.

Bowser 03-24-2013 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theelusiveeightrop (Post 9525211)
"Chiefs to play home games at Arrowhead". Adam Teicher

Plagerism

Pasta Little Brioni 03-24-2013 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcaj22 (Post 9525564)

That's why they drafted Poe and it's something he has the potential to do well. Patience instead of bitching.

Pasta Little Brioni 03-24-2013 06:43 PM

Wonder if he bought a bangmaid with that new contract money?