ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Windows XP SP 2? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=99119)

Sure-Oz 09-19-2004 11:16 PM

Windows XP SP 2?

I did windows update for the first time in awhile and it asked me to DL XP SP 2, isn't there issues with it?

Has anyone dl'ed and had any problems? I am wondering if I should dl and install it or wait. Need some opinions on people who have gotten it or heard anything about it.

OldTownChief 09-19-2004 11:30 PM

Downloaded it last Friday and have had no problems with anything yet.

Sure-Oz 09-19-2004 11:37 PM

I heard it was released in early august and is recently now on the website for windows update. I am kinda cautious cause i dont want to **** up my cpu over it if the issues they have had aren't cleared out. I assume it's gotta be ok if its on the update page. I may wait till i get more feedback on here.
EDIT-Well I may take a bite at it when i get time to install it this week, I already created a system restore point on my cpu just incase things **** up, so I can restore it to tonights date and time, where everything is normal *knock on wood*;)

OldTownChief 09-19-2004 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz
I heard it was released in early august and is recently now on the website for windows update. I am kinda cautious cause i dont want to **** up my cpu over it if the issues they have had aren't cleared out. I assume it's gotta be ok if its on the update page. I may wait till i get more feedback on here.
EDIT-Well I may take a bite at it when i get time to install it this week, I already created a system restore point on my cpu just incase things **** up, so I can restore it to tonights date and time, where everything is normal *knock on wood*;)

It is discussed some in this thread.
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showt...7&page=1&pp=15

XXXshogunXXX 09-20-2004 01:25 AM

If you're running a wireless connection, dont upgrade to SP2. alot of problems with the security features. It makes it secure to the point where you can't communicate with your router anymore. Save time and keep the stress level down on tech support, dont do it.

digi2fish 09-20-2004 04:06 AM

I installed it this afternoon
and I turn off its build-in firewall
no problem so far.

stanleychief 09-20-2004 05:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XXXshogunXXX
If you're running a wireless connection, dont upgrade to SP2. alot of problems with the security features. It makes it secure to the point where you can't communicate with your router anymore. Save time and keep the stress level down on tech support, dont do it.

Just install and turn off the firewall. No big deal. It's more of an issue when you are on a domain and your network admin doesn't know how to search MSDN though ;) I had to go research the problem and show the guy how to fix it. I think it's people like him that are giving SP2 a bad name. The benefits so far have outweighed the drawbacks. MS should have defaulted their optional components to 'no' and saved everyone the hassle.

Bob Dole 09-20-2004 05:54 AM

Quote:

Bob Dole isn't experiencing any problems communicating with his SMC router at home. No problems communicating with the Cisco WAPs at the office, either.

KCWolfman 09-20-2004 05:55 AM

Quote:

We have three PCs connected wireless and have had no issues.

Actually, if you have a wireless router, you can turn off the firewall anyway, so I don't see why wireless connections should even have issues.

KCWolfman 09-20-2004 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stanleychief
Just install and turn off the firewall. No big deal. It's more of an issue when you are on a domain and your network admin doesn't know how to search MSDN though ;) I had to go research the problem and show the guy how to fix it. I think it's people like him that are giving SP2 a bad name. The benefits so far have outweighed the drawbacks. MS should have defaulted their optional components to 'no' and saved everyone the hassle.

I have noticed that as well, every time Microsoft brings out an upgrade there is a Howard Dean of computers out there screaming and moaning about nothing.

Boyceofsummer 09-20-2004 05:58 AM

Worked fine for...............

3 weeks and then POW! DSL connection was gone. I figure the auto update created an issue. Did a system restore back to the pre instalation date. Bill Gates & DV, Stupid. I was duped.

Sure-Oz 09-20-2004 10:14 AM

Thanks fella's i may give it a try i have asked around at my other boards most havent had issues, good thing i got the system restore set at last nights date just incase it ****s up.

Imon Yourside 09-20-2004 10:21 AM

only problems i've heard of so far is that it actually slows your system down 7-12% in 85% of the cases monitored, having said that i installed it and it's working flawlessly.

Sure-Oz 09-20-2004 12:49 PM

Well i installed it, don't notice too much difference except maybe a tad slower but not much, i only got 256mb ram anyway and need to upgrade regardless. I noticed IE has a popupblocker now, i disabled that cause i have google toolbar. Also noticed a window security center that has the firewall enabled etc, it pops up everytime something is trying to mess with the firewall and asks if i want to unblock certain things, which is cool. So far so good...

penguinz 09-20-2004 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boyceofsummer
3 weeks and then POW! DSL connection was gone. I figure the auto update created an issue. Did a system restore back to the pre instalation date. Bill Gates & DV, Stupid. I was duped.

You could have just gone to add/remove programs and uninstalled SP2. ;)