ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   What is your O.S. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=129348)

SLAG 11-20-2005 03:43 AM

What is your O.S.

I am about to enter a journery of the free world, a Journey where Penguins roam Free and Smoke blunts with KDE and GNOME,

We will see how far down this path i go

What do you Use?

Miles 11-20-2005 04:04 AM

Windows XP Pro on my desktop
XP Home on my notebook

Over-Head 11-20-2005 10:10 AM

Win98SE

AeroSquid 11-20-2005 10:22 AM

I use XP Pro on the majority of my installs. I also have OSX running dual boot on my FTP server (AMD Powered of course) and various Linux distros including live ones like Knoppix. Never limit yourself to one OS. ;)

Fishpicker 11-20-2005 11:34 AM

I use Windows XP Pro at home. at school we use Win 2K server , Novell 6, and Fedora. Novell/netware has impressed me the most.

HC_Chief 11-20-2005 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishpicker
I use Windows XP Pro at home. at school we use Win 2K server , Novell 6, and Fedora. Novell/netware has impressed me the most.

Seriously?
Novell is a'ight, but it's just DOS with a couple of server-side extensions (NDS being the biggest).

Novell had its hayday, but that time is passed. Do not spend too much time getting into Novell - in the real world it is virtually invisible in the market. If you choose that path, you are severely limited in work possibilities.

UNIX (Solaris in particular), Linux, and Windows Server (2003) are where I recommend you concentrate. The most prolific OS = Windows, desktop and server. There are VERY few industries that do not employ Windows.

Fishpicker 11-20-2005 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HC_Chief
Seriously?
Novell is a'ight, but it's just DOS with a couple of server-side extensions (NDS being the biggest).

Novell had its hayday, but that time is passed. Do not spend too much time getting into Novell - in the real world it is virtually invisible in the market. If you choose that path, you are severely limited in work possibilities.

UNIX (Solaris in particular), Linux, and Windows Server (2003) are where I recommend you concentrate. The most prolific OS = Windows, desktop and server. There are VERY few industries that do not employ Windows.

This is all true but Novell will make a comeback with the Suse Linux/Netware Hybrid. The security features that Novell provides are second to none. I think there will always be a need for that. even if the market is a niche, there are businesses that have greater than average security needs.

Im not neccesarily concentrating on any OS but I dont want to be at a disadvantage from not knowing how to use Novell.

SLAG 11-20-2005 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AeroSquid
I use XP Pro on the majority of my installs. I also have OSX running dual boot on my FTP server (AMD Powered of course) and various Linux distros including live ones like Knoppix. Never limit yourself to one OS. ;)

What Linux Disto Would u reccomend for a new Linux user?

I have some Linux and Unix Backround and i just got a K6-2 333 with 96meg Ram and 3 Gig HD i want to turn into a linux machine

Ive Got a IMAC Power PC G4 or 3 I dont rememer with 320 Ram Running OSX

KC Jones 11-20-2005 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLAG02
What Linux Disto Would u reccomend for a new Linux user?

I have some Linux and Unix Backround and i just got a K6-2 333 with 96meg Ram and 3 Gig HD i want to turn into a linux machine

Ive Got a IMAC Power PC G4 or 3 I dont rememer with 320 Ram Running OSX

For the old hardware I'd reccomend BSD or a speciality linux distro. For certain any of the modern Desktops (KDE/Gnome) are gonna be painful on that old machine. I wouldn't want to use it for much more than a firewall or proxy server.

As for me I'm running win2k most of the time right now but I dual boot into Suse 9.3. I keep planning to upgrade (sidegrade?) to 10 but haven't gotten around to it yet. I do some gaming so win2k is a necessary evil and lately I had almost only used my PC for BF2.

morphius 11-20-2005 04:59 PM

I use a couple windows machines and a couple fedora machines. Figured I would use Fedora since we use redhat at work, so figured it was a good way to play with something similar.