ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Chip Kelly hires former Navy SEALs trainer for Eagles’ staff (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=269883)

malachi47000 02-10-2013 08:34 AM

Chip Kelly hires former Navy SEALs trainer for Eagles’ staff

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-eagles-staff/

When the Eagles announced new head coach Chip Kelly’s full coaching staff, one of the names on the list was Shaun Huls, the new sports science coordinator.

That raises a couple of questions: Who is Shaun Huls, and what is a sports science coordinator?

According to USA Today, Huls was the strength, conditioning and combatives coordinator for Navy Special Warfare, meaning he was training Navy SEALs before he took a job in which he’ll be training the Eagles.

That’s a surprising background for someone to become an NFL assistant coach, but with Kelly, maybe it shouldn’t come as a surprise. In a 2010 interview with the New York Times, Kelly said that in preparing his Oregon team for the up-tempo style that he prefers, he employed a lot of the same conditioning techniques that he had learned about from studying the way the Navy SEALs train.

“You see how they train the Navy SEALs,” Kelly said. “They squirt them with water, play loud music and do all these other things when they have to perform a task. That’s how we practice. We want to bombard our kids.”

With sports science coordinator Shaun Huls on the staff, the players on the Eagles should prepare to be bombarded with some intense offseason conditioning.

Andy Reid take note! I think they should incorporate this within the Chiefs organization as well.

mdchiefsfan 02-10-2013 08:37 AM

NFLPA will be addressing this shortly. Bunch of whiners.

Canofbier 02-10-2013 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by malachi47000 (Post 9391160)
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-eagles-staff/

When the Eagles announced new head coach Chip Kelly’s full coaching staff, one of the names on the list was Shaun Huls, the new sports science coordinator.

That raises a couple of questions: Who is Shaun Huls, and what is a sports science coordinator?

According to USA Today, Huls was the strength, conditioning and combatives coordinator for Navy Special Warfare, meaning he was training Navy SEALs before he took a job in which he’ll be training the Eagles.

That’s a surprising background for someone to become an NFL assistant coach, but with Kelly, maybe it shouldn’t come as a surprise. In a 2010 interview with the New York Times, Kelly said that in preparing his Oregon team for the up-tempo style that he prefers, he employed a lot of the same conditioning techniques that he had learned about from studying the way the Navy SEALs train.

“You see how they train the Navy SEALs,” Kelly said. “They squirt them with water, play loud music and do all these other things when they have to perform a task. That’s how we practice. We want to bombard our kids.”

With sports science coordinator Shaun Huls on the staff, the players on the Eagles should prepare to be bombarded with some intense offseason conditioning.

Andy Reid take note! I think they should incorporate this within the Chiefs organization as well.

I can see this backfiring with veteran NFL players.

Pasta Little Brioni 02-10-2013 08:44 AM

Good for them I guess.

malachi47000 02-10-2013 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canofbier (Post 9391165)
I can see this backfiring with veteran NFL players.

Will be interesting to see how much leeway he will get on this, and if it becomes successful at the NFL level.

Pasta Little Brioni 02-10-2013 08:50 AM

Still won't make Foles a legit QB, so unless they get one....FAIL

TribalElder 02-10-2013 09:17 AM

They should be good if it's raining I guess

stonedstooge 02-10-2013 09:17 AM

Waterboarding NFL players?

RealSNR 02-10-2013 09:20 AM

Remember when we had that olympic sprinter try out at WR during training camp and everybody thought he'd be awesome? John Capel I think his name was?

Yeah, I see this working out the same way.

Hog's Gone Fishin 02-10-2013 09:21 AM

All the negative comments.ROFL If he were hired by the Chiefs everyone would be estatic, as would I.

stonedstooge 02-10-2013 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9391194)
Remember when we had that olympic sprinter try out at WR during training camp and everybody thought he'd be awesome? John Capel I think his name was?

Yeah, I see this working out the same way.

Bob Hayes says hey!

RealSNR 02-10-2013 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hog Farmer (Post 9391195)
All the negative comments.ROFL If he were hired by the Chiefs everyone would be estatic, as would I.

I wouldn't give a shit.

"Ecstatic?" You'd honestly be ecstatic?

Hog's Gone Fishin 02-10-2013 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9391198)
I wouldn't give a shit.

"Ecstatic?" You'd honestly be ecstatic?

Yep, somehting like that.

CoMoChief 02-10-2013 09:25 AM

Good for Chip Kelly and the Eagles

Now I'm gonna go back to not giving a **** like I was doing before.

Deberg_1990 02-10-2013 09:26 AM

I remember when Steve Spurrier was a "HOT" prospect for NFL head coach......