ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   There's One AFC Team That is Likely to Derail the Patriots and.... (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=178171)

Amnorix 01-05-2008 11:47 PM

There's One AFC Team That is Likely to Derail the Patriots and....

.....it ain't the Jaguars. Saw every snap of Steelers-Jags, which was a good and exciting game. What you saw the Steelers do in the second half against them is what the Pats will do from the start. 4 and 5 wide, spread 'em out and pass on them to death. The Pats can do this much better than the Steelers can, and the Steelers were very successful.

Once the Jags heads are spinning, you'll see more runs off draws and such, but you can sure as hell bet the Pats won't keep banging their head against a wall by trying to run the way the Steelers did.

I don't mean to denigrate the Jags at all. A very good team, well coached, tough as nails, and with alot of talent. I happily admit their running game is better than ours, and their run defense is better than ours. In 1975 that would mean they'd win. This is 2007, however, and it's not all about the run anymore.

If the weather truly sucks, then the odds shift heavily in favor of the Jags over what it would otherwise be. Note that "sucks" doesn't mean snow, or even rain or cold. What it really means is WIND.

The one team that is likely to derail us remains the Colts. 15-1 but for (1) a shanked <30 yard figgie, and (2) a throw-away game at the end of the season, the Colts are very real with or without Marvin Harrison and Dwight Freeney.

I was more worried about the Jags before I watched this game. They would've/could've lost but for Big Ben having a truly horrific first half and Tomlin being stupid enough to go for 2 twice when (1) it was too early, and (2) he had a penalty and got moved back to the 12. I doubt the Pats will implode like that.

blueballs 01-05-2008 11:51 PM

TONY ROMO

Amnorix 01-05-2008 11:54 PM

Note I said "AFC" Team. Unlike last year, when the winner of Pats-Colts was clearly going to crush whatever pathetic sacrifice the NFC offered up, this year it's entirely possible that Dallas will put up a very good game, or even win.

If Dallas is upset, however, then I think it's whoever wins the AFC in a cakewalk.

kcfanintitanhell 01-05-2008 11:55 PM

What about the Chargers? Norv isn't an upgrade over Marty, but they ain't exactly chopped liver.

007 01-05-2008 11:55 PM

go Green Bay!!!!!

Huffman83 01-05-2008 11:56 PM

Honestly at this point....it's pretty much who is going to play NE in the Superbowl.

Though I think the Ind/NE (if it happens) game will be a bigger deal than the superbowl.

As far as NFC goes...I think Green Bay could keep it interesting for a superbowl.

doomy3 01-05-2008 11:56 PM

yep, everyone's sleeping on the Chargers...

unothadeal 01-05-2008 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru
go Green Bay!!!!!

Wooo!

keg in kc 01-05-2008 11:56 PM

I'd normally say this as a joke, but I'm serious now: the only team that's going to stop the Patriots is the Patriots. They're one of the most complete teams in the history of the NFL and by far the most balanced since the Cowboys of the early-90s. To do what they've done in this era, to build a team this strong in every facet of the game, is just this side of impossible. They should win the thing going away, and if they don't, it'll be one of the biggest choke-jobs ever in any sport. They're Goliath in a league full of Davids.

The Bad Guy 01-05-2008 11:57 PM

The Patriots have been playing a lot of close games lately against teams that couldn't shine the Jaguars' shoes.

Their ability to control the clock will be huge. They tackle well on defense, have a decent secondary, and have the DT's to collapse the pocket on Brady.

Amnorix 01-06-2008 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy
The Patriots have been playing a lot of close games lately against teams that couldn't shine the Jaguars' shoes.

Their ability to control the clock will be huge. They tackle well on defense, have a decent secondary, and have the DT's to collapse the pocket on Brady.

So are you predicting a Jags win?

You're forgetting sports psychology. The Pats have been the de facto Super Bowl for EVERY team they played the second half of the season. It's impossible to get "up" for every game.

That won't b ea problem going forward.

Huffman83 01-06-2008 12:01 AM

I'm not forgetting about the chargers....I'm just planning on them choking like most afc west teams tend to do in the playoffs. Unfortunately...the Broncos are not included.

Mecca 01-06-2008 12:03 AM

The Jags just aren't good enough offensively to beat the Pats, there's a reason they always lose to the Colts...

Amnorix 01-06-2008 12:03 AM

Colts will whack the Chargers with little fanfare.

doomy3 01-06-2008 12:04 AM

So, if I'm reading your thread title correctly, you expect the Colts to beat the Pats??