ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Archives (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   From Whitlock today (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=1439)

ColoradoChief 09-25-2000 06:19 AM

"With that pass to Alexander, Grbac may have killed Marty Ball forever."

He is referring of course, to the final TD pass from Grbac to DA. What do you guys think? Is Marty aka Gunther ball really dead? I can only hope but I can't see the stubborn Gun quitting it just yet. Even though the evidence is plain to see.

------------------
Gary

ColoradoChief 09-25-2000 03:55 PM

I can't believe I didn't get any takers on this one, guess everybody is tired of talking about Whitlock. But it's not him I want to discuss, it's the quote.

What do the majority of you think? Is Marty ball aka Maul ball aka smashmouth really dead in KC? Somehow I doubt that. The first bad game Elvis has, I bet we crawl right back into that old conservative shell. I'm eagerly waiting for Gun to prove me wrong though.

------------------
Gary

[This message has been edited by gh4chiefs (edited 09-25-2000).]

Cannibal 09-25-2000 04:05 PM

I don't think it is dead in the mind of the coaches in terms of philosophy, but in reality if we cannot run the ball, we may not have a choice...

ColoradoChief 09-25-2000 04:10 PM

I agree with you Wolf. I'm wondering what it exactly will take to actually change the core philosphy held by the coaching staff. We've seen 3 straight games where we couldn't run worth crap, but yet moved the ball in the air. We've had some picks yes, but we moved the ball. It seems obvious to us, why can't the "professionals" see it?

------------------
Gary

Raiderhater 09-25-2000 04:11 PM

Gary: Gun and JR had their chance to pull back in after EG's INT and they did for a little while, but soon realized that if they wanted to win, they were going to have to go downfield with the ball.

It's a good thing that KC stuck with EG and let him keep slinging the ball. He may have had 2 ints, but after all is said and done that pass to Alexander won the game. We had to have it and he produced. A good thing IMO. If in future games our running game is working, so much the better, but we saw a little faith in EG yesterday.

Frazod 09-25-2000 04:12 PM

We can only hope that this becomes true. I watched the KC-San Diego game again and here is something interesting that I heard from the TV announcers of that game. They were making a big deal about Gunther opening up the offense. Also Gun had told them that he had read Bill Parcells book that week. Perhaps Gun is willing to learn from other coaches. Maybe our offensive philosophy is about to turn the corner.

Dan<BR>

Cannibal 09-25-2000 04:15 PM

I think that is playing with fire though. We cannot afford to become one dimentional the other way either. If you look at the Rams for example, their offense doesn't click like it does if Marshal Faulk is not there running the ball. Indy needs James. Fred Taylor makes JVille a much better team. The Broncos offense doesn't go if they can't run it. So we must find a way to run the ball. But being one dimentional sucks, so keep going to the air because that is where the playmakers are, but we've gotta keep them honest on the ground...

Woodrow 09-25-2000 04:20 PM

Gary:

Definitely not dead. There will come a day when we will die by the pass (I don't expect us to go 14-2) and then we will go back to running as a knee jerk reaction. At least that is how Gunther has been coming across with his personnel and game plan decisions. Every day is a new day with new personnel in new positions with new philosophies. I have lost my initial enthusiasm for Gunther. Just read some of his quotes over the last 4-6 weeks. The ink isn't dried regarding something before he contradicts it with something else. I suggested to this board a couple of weeks ago that I believed he was showing classic signs of sleep deprivation. I didn't get any response to the thread so I may be the only one who has that feeling. It is going to be an interesting season!!

B^2

ColoradoChief 09-25-2000 04:22 PM

That's a good point Wolf. After all, I know that has a lot to do with our suckass running game; teams expect it from us and they plan their defensive scheme around a run defense. I keep thinking that if Elvis continues to pass well, that eventually the defenses will have to change and open up some running lanes.

I have to agree with KCTitus, so far the coaches have shown a willingness to open up the offense. Will it last? Let's hope so.

------------------
Gary

ColoradoChief 09-25-2000 04:24 PM

That's my fear exacly B*2.

------------------
Gary

CarolinaChief 09-25-2000 04:37 PM

Hasn't Whitlock bashed Elvis before. Wasn't he a Gannon guy? I've always been a Grbacker and always will be. If Whitlock, and others, are willing to change course after 2 good games, what's to keep them from changing back after two poor games? KC people seem to love to be on the PC side, or what is perceived to be the PC side. The sad part is that this same mentality seems to have filtered its way to Pittsburg. You'd think the fans 1)knew more than the coaches 2)could do a better job playing themselves and 3)got their jollies by continuously bit##ing at the top of their lungs. I've thought of implementing a program where players and coaches alike attend the places of work of the fans and loudly critique their mistakes. I understand that the pro level is different, but the college level involves young, unpaid KIDS. It's just that the pro football "I'm right and I can yell" mentality seems to have trickled down to our quiet little town. Sorry for the tangent, but it is upsetting AND unsportsman-like.

------------------
GO PITT!

CarolinaChief 09-25-2000 08:36 PM

up

------------------
GO PITT!