ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Washington DC and The Holy Land (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Kerry eyes White House bid (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=156390)

Eleazar 01-09-2007 03:45 PM

Kerry eyes White House bid

Kerry Prepares Another White House Run

By Chris Cizilla
"The Fix", washingtonpost.com's Politics Blog

Sen. John Kerry (D-Mass.) has maintained a decidedly low profile following his self-described botched joke in the run-up to the 2006 midterm elections. Many observers concluded that Kerry's silence meant he had given up his dream of becoming the first Democrat since Adlai Stevenson to be renominated by his party four years after losing a presidential race.

Wrong. Kerry has recently begun to bolster his Senate and campaign staff in preparation for what some Kerry insiders insist is a likely run for president. Kerry has signed on Erik Smith to serve as a senior adviser to his Senate campaign committee and Vince Morris to be communications director in his Senate office.

Smith, who runs Blue Engine Message & Media, served as national press secretary for Dick Gephardt's 2004 presidential bid and previously was communications director in Gephardt's leadership office. He also served a stint as communications director at the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee.

Morris comes to the Kerry camp after a stint as communications director for former Washington, D.C., mayor Anthony Williams. Prior to his work for Williams, Morris was a reporter for the New York Post and Washington Times. Morris started officially on Monday.

Asked whether his decision to join Kerry signaled that the senator would be running again for president in 2008, Smith demurred. "Whatever he chooses to do, he is going to have a tremendous impact on public policy," said Smith. "Whether on Iraq or domestic policy, Sen. Kerry brings tremendous political assets to the table and the party benefits when he takes a leadership role."

The two hires and lead Kerry strategist Ed Reilly's decision to move to Washington, D.C., show the seriousness with which Kerry is approaching his decision. Kerry advisers said the senator has spent considerable time over the past month consulting Sen. Ted Kennedy (D-Mass.) and newly elected Gov. Deval Patrick (D-Mass.), along with members of the Bay State's congressional delegation. (Don't forget that Kerry is up for reelection in 2008, and several Massachusetts Democratic House members -- led by Reps. Marty Meehan and Ed Markey -- have been waiting years for a Senate seat to come open.)

Kennedy previously pledged to support Kerry if he decided to run in 2008, and Kerry aides were quick to point out that Patrick made a similar pledge over the weekend.

David Wade, a longtime aide to Kerry, predicted a decision "early in the new year," adding: "We're well over a year away before the first ballots are cast in the 2008 nominating process, but Sen. Kerry has no intention of waiting too long in his decision."

Kerry has formidable strengths and daunting weaknesses. While he carries strong name identification and a campaign bank account of more than $10 million, he is also seen as a gaffe-prone, has-been by many party insiders.

Read The Fix's case for and against a Kerry 2008 candidacy.

Baby Lee 01-09-2007 03:56 PM

http://www.rakemag.com/today/yoivanh...shoes%2010.jpg

Eleazar 01-09-2007 04:01 PM

"Noooo! They're all gonna laugh at you!"

patteeu 01-09-2007 07:30 PM

Thank God. What would we do without him?

mlyonsd 01-09-2007 08:34 PM

What this country needs right now is a Gore/Kerry ticket.

Stinger 01-10-2007 12:28 AM

I see Terry McAuliffe has come out from his rock in the last few days to speak on Kerry

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/...8MF4OCO0.shtml

2112 01-10-2007 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu
Thank God. What would we do without him?

I was partying in Harvards square the weekend before the election in 2004,and there were hundreds of kids trying to shove Kerry pamphlets down my throat..I had to fight them off...Oh the irony

Taco John 01-10-2007 03:56 AM

When he says "white house bid," does he mean that he's putting in a bid to buy a white house? Surely he's not delusional enough to believe he has another shot at the actual White House.

RedDread 01-10-2007 04:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taco John
When he says "white house bid," does he mean that he's putting in a bid to buy a white house? Surely he's not delusional enough to believe he has another shot at the actual White House.

I hope not for the Dem's sake...

Amnorix 01-10-2007 07:50 AM

Here's hoping he fades into obscurity as quickly as possible.

noa 01-10-2007 11:09 AM

He's living in the past...Kerry might even be less popular than Hillary after his joke about the troops.

Eleazar 01-10-2007 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noa949
He's living in the past...Kerry might even be less popular than Hillary after his joke about the troops.

That shouldn't have surprised anyone at all. Just the normal run of things for him. The guy has a PhD in snobbery with an emphasis in looking down his nose at the little people.

BIG_DADDY 01-10-2007 11:25 AM

Anyone have that picture of Kerry trying to catch the football? That picture cracked me up.

BucEyedPea 01-10-2007 11:30 AM

I'm waiting for the Dems to run a reasonable candidate that's opposed to conquering the world and is not too anti-business or market that I could vote for over the John McCains and Newt Gingriches of America. Pluh-eeeassse John Kerry again?! I woulda voted Dem last time, but their choosing Kerry pushed me to go 3-party. I just couldn't bring myself to do it.

BIG_DADDY 01-10-2007 11:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Oh yes here it is.