ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football AFCW - going into Week 3 (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=276323)

Mile High Mania 09-16-2013 09:47 AM

AFCW - going into Week 3

So, it was good to see that the division was 3-0 vs the NFC this weekend (Den > NYG, KC > DAL, SD > PHI). And, 3-0 vs the NFCE to boot - very nice.

Broncos 2-0
Chiefs 2-0
Raiders 1-1
Chargers 1-1

Not bad after 2 weeks, but I'm still not too sold really on either the Raiders or the Chargers. Chargers should be 2-0, but they're not and are very helter skelter. The Raiders ... they lost to the Colts and then beat the Jaguars. The Jags account for 2 of the 6 total wins within our division.

Week 3 -

The Raiders (1-1) travel to the Broncos (2-0) and honestly, while the 'any given Sunday' mantra is alive and well, Denver should win this by a big margin and move to 3-0 setting up back to back games vs the NFCE (Eagles and then Dallas). Broncos have had 2 big wins after sputtering in the first half of both games... the Raiders can win, they've shocked Denver at home in recent years. No time to fall asleep or get lazy for the Broncos.

The Chiefs (2-0) travel to Philly (1-1) - and this will be an interesting one as the Eagles can be explosive, but KC's defense is legit. Can the KC offense step it up? This is one where both Charles and Alex Smith need to be big. I think KC needs a statement win. The Jags suck and while Dallas has weapons, they have a mediocre record in recent years and losing at KC shouldn't have been a shock really. But, if KC wants that 'respect' and to quiet the doubters --- the offense needs to match the defense this week and make this a statement win.

The Chargers (1-1) travel to the Titans (1-1) and oddly enough, the Titans have played fairly well. Both teams were bitten late vs the Texans, so anything goes I guess.

This is a week where I honestly think the home teams prevail. There's a lot up for debate with KC/PHI and SD/TN ... and wouldn't be surprised if either/both AFCW teams won. However, I think the home teams pretect their yards this week.

It would be good though to see KC and SD win in week 3.

You?

Halfcan 09-16-2013 09:52 AM

Donks have not beaten the teams as so much as their competition have beaten themselves. Giants and ravens both handed those game to them on a silver platter with turnovers, bad coaching and quitting the seconde half. You just can't make mistakes against the donks period-they will make you pay most every time. Faders have a history of coughing up games and are in for a beat down.

Manning has to love throwing 1 yard passes and getting 30 YAC most every play-lol.

Old Dog 09-16-2013 09:53 AM

Gimme KC, Tennessee, and Denver

Mile High Mania 09-16-2013 09:54 AM

Ah, so those mistakes and the wins were all gifts... got it.

DaFace 09-16-2013 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halfcan (Post 9983650)
Donks have not beaten the teams as so much as their competition have beaten themselves. Giants and ravens both handed those game to them on a silver platter with turnovers, bad coaching and quitting the seconde half. You just can't make mistakes against the donks period-they will make you pay most every time. Faders have a history of coughing up games and are in for a beat down.

Manning has to love throwing 1 yard passes and getting 30 YAC most every play-lol.

I somewhat agree, but I think it's stretching it to say that the Broncos haven't beaten their opponents. It's true that turnovers and missed tackles are a big reason for the losses, but the Broncos' offense is potent enough that they can capitalize on those types of things quickly and suddenly put the game out of reach.

One thing I've learned from watching Manning play every week the last couple years (I live in Bronco country after all) is that Manning's biggest strength may not be his arm strength or his accuracy. Instead, I think he's perhaps the best to ever play the game at finding guys who are open and can get some good YAC. If you watch their games, he throws a lot of passes that just plain don't look great. But then the next play, he turns around and throws a wobbler to a guy with no one within 15 yards of him.

Anyway, this turned into a bit of a ramble, but the point is I think we're fooling ourselves if we think that the Broncos are just getting lucky. They're a VERY solid team this year unless Manning goes down to injury. Whether they can win in the playoffs or not, I'm less confident about.

Chiefsfan12 09-16-2013 09:58 AM

Our offense really could have put the game away yesterday with one more score in the fourth quarter. Defense was holding Romo pretty well and getting crap calls with pass interference.

Our offense had a perfect first drive to score but pretty much laid an egg for the rest of the game. I give them credit for finishing off the game by controlling the clock, but I want to see them score and put more pressure on offenses and giving our D more confidence.

Offense needs to step ip
I love our defense.

mr. tegu 09-16-2013 10:12 AM

After the first two games my biggest concern is that Reid won't properly use Charles, who is our best weapon.

Garcia Bronco 09-16-2013 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halfcan (Post 9983650)
Donks have not beaten the teams as so much as their competition have beaten themselves.Ch-ullshit Giants and ravens both handed those game to them on a silver platter with turnoversthat the defense created, bad coaching and quitting the seconde halfLOL..yeah John H and Tom C are bad coaches. You just can't make mistakes against the donks period-they will make you pay most every timetrue, but you could say that about most teams. Faders have a history of coughing up games and are in for a beat down.Not so sure about that, this will be a close game, it always is

Manning has to love throwing 1 yard passes and getting 30 YAC most every play-lol.huh? Are you watching the games or are you just using the Force?

responses in bold ;P

ROYC75 09-16-2013 10:25 AM

That's fair, Brad.

EyePod 09-16-2013 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 9983719)
After the first two games my biggest concern is that Reid won't properly use Charles, who is our best weapon.

First game, Charles was hurt, we were up big. It made sense.

Yesterday... I'm not sure. The Dallas front 7 is really freaking good. On top of that, Albert was kind of hurt and so was Fasano. That doesn't help at all. We ran the ball when it mattered to kill the clock, but I agree with you in general. Charles's run #'s aren't high, and I don't think they'll get there any time this season. He is targeted a lot more as a WR though!

Mr. Laz 09-16-2013 10:28 AM

AFC West might not be so shitty after all

Kaylore 09-16-2013 10:33 AM

What is it with Chiefs fans pretending Manning can only throw for one yard and apparently has the spine of a small infant?

Chief_For_Life58 09-16-2013 10:35 AM

donkeys look good. peyton is a surgeon. like daface said, his arm isnt anything special but brain behind his big ass 5 head is why hes one of the best to ever play the qb position. Theyll rape the fade and itll be over by half time.
Our game is gonna be a tight one. very excited for it. This is our statement game to show the nation we finally do have a legit team. Really need to use jamal more. He needs the ball in his hands.

Oh Snap 09-16-2013 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 9983719)

Passing on 3rd and 1 on our second possession was a real head scratcher. Dallas was stacking the line though the whole game... They were daring the chiefs to pass the ball all game long. I also wonder if they were trying to keep jamaal healthy as he was coming off injury. Still, they must utilize Charles more than what they have. At least Charles was money when it mattered most.

Mile High Mania 09-16-2013 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 9983670)
I somewhat agree, but I think it's stretching it to say that the Broncos haven't beaten their opponents. It's true that turnovers and missed tackles are a big reason for the losses, but the Broncos' offense is potent enough that they can capitalize on those types of things quickly and suddenly put the game out of reach.

One thing I've learned from watching Manning play every week the last couple years (I live in Bronco country after all) is that Manning's biggest strength may not be his arm strength or his accuracy. Instead, I think he's perhaps the best to ever play the game at finding guys who are open and can get some good YAC. If you watch their games, he throws a lot of passes that just plain don't look great. But then the next play, he turns around and throws a wobbler to a guy with no one within 15 yards of him.

Anyway, this turned into a bit of a ramble, but the point is I think we're fooling ourselves if we think that the Broncos are just getting lucky. They're a VERY solid team this year unless Manning goes down to injury. Whether they can win in the playoffs or not, I'm less confident about.

Good take. The repeated comments on Peyton's arm strength and all that is interesting to me. It's not like the guy can no longer throw a good pass and I don't think you're saying that at all.

At first, many were saying the receivers were average and it was because of Maning they're putting up big numbers. Sounds like some (maybe not you) want to suggest that it's actually now more the receivers and not so much Peyton that are actually doing all the work.

Peyton's made some nice passes - in the first two games though, way too many drops. Decker needs to get his head right, I think he spent too much time with his hot wife and the reality show in the offseason. Welker dropped a couple yesterday and the others have as well.

No, they're not always pretty... but he is damn effective and when he needs to thread a needle - he can still do it. I don't like him having 80+ attempts in the first 2 games and I really don't like Moreno doing well, because I fear they'll trust him again and he'll rear his ugly head again when it matters most... @ Dallas or @ KC, something like that.

(off topic) Moreno has talent, but he has a $.02 brain and I will never trust him again... yes, played well yesterday, great blocks and nice fumble recovery with the yards and the TDs. But, I'm not convinced that he's still not a knucklehead.

Can't believe Ball fumbled it (again) on that first drive... him and Hillman, with Moreno have to be the holy trinity of butterfingers for a RB trio. Again, that's why they're passing so damn much.

Anywho... they're making great second half adjustments, need to put it all together for a full game. And, kudos to the defense - while they're giving up too many big plays and 50+ points in two games is too much, they're not pathetic. Lots of young guys getting valuable experience right now...