ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football 6 Out Of 8 (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=240334)

-King- 01-16-2011 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 7359423)
StevieRay hates every word I type on here so bad that he wants to make a year long ban bet with me because I said that I think Matt Cassel has played as well as we will ever see if we dont add Josh McDaniels as our qb coach.

I have coined the term "Cassenial" as the term that should be used for a bunch of members here.

I simply cant imagine how we think we did a "full rebuild" correctly without spending a single draft pick on a rookie quarterback after having 3 back to back to back top 5 draft picks.

This is what gets to me. You guys want to draft a qb in the first for the sake of drafting a qb in the first. Who worthy have we skipped out on really the past three years? Only Flacco and Freeman. Dorsey was a no brainer pick so its not like we ****ed up there. Tyson jackson was a **** up, but if we had to do it again, id take Raji, Matthews, Harvin etc over Sanchez. Berry was a no brainer this year also.

So the whole "we had 3 top 5 picks and didn't get a qb" argument is BS to me. We didn't skip over any worthy QBs. Now if we have a chance at Gabbert this draft and we don't draft him, I'll be pissed. But I'm not mad over skipping over Sanchez. Freeman kind of, but no one at the time thought he'd be this good.
Posted via Mobile Device

Bewbies 01-16-2011 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 7359487)
This is what gets to me. You guys want to draft a qb in the first for the sake of drafting a qb in the first. Who worthy have we skipped out on really the past three years? Only Flacco and Freeman. Dorsey was a no brainer pick so its not like we ****ed up there. Tyson jackson was a **** up, but if we had to do it again, id take Raji, Matthews, Harvin etc over Sanchez. Berry was a no brainer this year also.

So the whole "we had 3 top 5 picks and didn't get a qb" argument is BS to me. We didn't skip over any worthy QBs. Now if we have a chance at Gabbert this draft and we don't draft him, I'll be pissed. But I'm not mad over skipping over Sanchez. Freeman kind of, but no one at the time thought he'd be this good.
Posted via Mobile Device

Tis better to swing and miss than not swing at all. Would we be better off long term had we taken Flacco, Freeman or possibly even Sanchez?

jd1020 01-16-2011 01:50 AM

Quote:

Posted via Mobile Device

Flacco and Sanchez are 100% more worthy than Cassel. Both have already surpassed Cassel's accomplishments in 1/2 and 1/3 of his NFL career.

Hootie 01-16-2011 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 7356293)
The more interesting thing to me is where in the first round those QBs were taken:

Ryan 3
Sanchez 5
Cutler 11
Roethlisberger 11
Flacco 18
Rogers 24

I would say this is quite interesting...

since there is no doubt that guys who walk into better situations have a better chance at success...

if Alex Smith falls to the Packers instead of Rodgers would he have blossomed like Rodgers behind Favre?

Perhaps...he at least would have had a much better shot than he had in San Fran.

BossChief 01-16-2011 02:05 AM

Quote:

Posted via Mobile Device

Oh come on, Gabbert could very well be the next Alex Smith...why on earth should we take a chance on him (even if we would have to trade up to do so) if we have a solid chance at a damn good OL or any other position on the field?

jd1020 01-16-2011 02:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 7359525)
Oh come on, Gabbert could very well be the next Alex Smith...why on earth should we take a chance on him (even if we would have to trade up to do so) if we have a solid chance at a damn good OL or any other position on the field?

Hasn't Alex Smith played a different style offense every single year of his career?

I'll take potential QB's over potential OL 24/7/365.

L.A. Chieffan 01-16-2011 02:08 AM

Its too soon after the blackledge fiasco. Give people time to get over it

BossChief 01-16-2011 02:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 7359531)
Hasn't Alex Smith played a different style offense every single year of his career?

I'll take potential QB's over potential OL 24/7/365.

no, no, no no no

Potential can get you burned...the solid choice is the linemen cause one thing is for sure is that you win games with a solid line and defense first and foremost.

come to grips with this

JOhn 01-16-2011 03:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L.A.Chieffan (Post 7359533)
Its too soon after the blackledge fiasco. Give people time to get over it

:LOL:

Pasta Little Brioni 01-16-2011 08:02 AM

Flacco has been an absolute trainwreck outside of the Chiefs game of course in postseason play in his career. The 2nd half he played yesterday was absolutely pathetic. He has been propped up by an immensely talented team.

MahiMike 01-16-2011 08:20 AM

Yeah, I was thinking about this last night when I see Ben heave up a 3rd and 19 hail mary that just happened to land right in his player's lap. That SB w/him and Kurt Warner showed 2 of the best to ever play.

Pasta Little Brioni 01-16-2011 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MahiMike (Post 7359643)
Yeah, I was thinking about this last night when I see Ben heave up a 3rd and 19 hail mary that just happened to land right in his player's lap. That SB w/him and Kurt Warner showed 2 of the best to ever play.

He's made big plays his entire career and in some very tough situations. Average Joe can't hold his jock.

philfree 01-16-2011 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 7356293)
The more interesting thing to me is where in the first round those QBs were taken:

Ryan 3
Sanchez 5
Cutler 11
Roethlisberger 11
Flacco 18
Rogers 24

So only two were taken in the top 10. Ryan warranted his pick. I'm one of those who believes Sanchez was taken far higher than he should have been, but people will argue that. Cutler should I think get an asterick, since he isn't playing for the team that drafted him. Flacco and Roethlisberger were small school guys. Rodgers was and will always be kind of a head-scratcher, as far as his draft-day fall goes.

Who's the best of that bunch? Has to be Roethlisberger, the guy with the rings. Ryan would I think come after him, although Atlanta is still a run-first team. Then probably Rodgers and Flacco. Cutler is to me a flake. I expected bigger things out of him, and you never know whether he's going to come out and have a 4 TD day or a 4 pick day. And then there was Sanchez. Maybe the Jets can continue to win despite him.

The thing that's really lost is how good these guys' teams are. They all have strong defenses. Most of them are asked more to manage their offenses, with the exception of Roethlisberger, who's basically been the Steelers offense since about 2007. Tom Brady would fall into that category, too. Those two guys are I think far more important to their teams than any of the other QBs currently in the playoffs. The rest of them are closer to what Cassel was asked to be during the year - make your plays but don't screw up. The difference, of course, being that some of them have shown that they can not only let themselves be carried, but also come through and make that big play when the team needs it.

I'm one of those guys that believes it doesn't really matter where you get your quarterback. Sure, a Peyton Manning would be nice, but you have to be in a position to land one. And unfortunately, for all the QBs I've wanted the Chiefs to take in the last decade, they haven't been. Ryan was the most recent guy I was big on that I thought we'd have a shot at. I thought we'd be in a position for one in 2011, but it doesn't look like it now, the way that the NCAA season played-out, paired with the 'hopeful' performance they got out of Cassel. That was basically my worst-case scenario for him and for the Chiefs: he showed just enough flashes to give some hope for the future, but in the end left way too many questions.

I think Rogers is the best of the bunch at this point IMO. How long did he sit behind Favre? 3-4 years? Packers did a great job of transitioning from Favre to Rogers.

How does Locker compare to Rogers? That's what I'm wondering right now.

PhilFree:arrow:

MahiMike 01-16-2011 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGM (Post 7359647)
He's made big plays his entire career and in some very tough situations. Average Joe can't hold his jock.

Pisses me off that we coulda had him for a 2nd rounder last year when he got in trouble. Pittsburgh was ready to run him out of town. I know fans that still want him gone.

Pasta Little Brioni 01-16-2011 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philfree (Post 7359649)
I think Rogers is the best of the bunch at this point IMO. How long did he sit behind Favre? 3-4 years? Packers did a great job of transitioning from Favre to Rogers.

How does Locker compare to Rogers? That's what I'm wondering right now.

PhilFree:arrow:

Roethlisberger has been too good in the clutch in his career to have Rodgers rated ahead of him, but Rodgers is definately making plenty of teams regret passing on him when he slid on draft day years ago.