ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   NFL lines up Stevie Wonder for Super Bowl pregame show (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=130633)

DaKCMan AP 12-06-2005 12:29 PM

NFL lines up Stevie Wonder for Super Bowl pregame show

NFL lines up Stevie Wonder for Super Bowl pregame show
By SARAH KARUSH, Associated Press Writer
December 5, 2005

DETROIT (AP) -- Motown fans miffed by the NFL's choice of the Rolling Stones for Super Bowl halftime entertainment are getting at least some satisfaction: Stevie Wonder will perform during the pregame show at Ford Field.

Wonder will play three or four songs during the pregame show before the game Feb. 5, Lori Lambert, vice president of strategic marketing for Universal Motown Records Group, told The Associated Press.

Other artists -- still to be announced -- also will be featured in the pregame show, Lambert said.

NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy said the league was not prepared to make an announcement about the pregame show.

However, he said, "we would be thrilled to be able to work with Stevie Wonder again."

Wonder performed during halftime in 1999.

The NFL's announcement last week that the Rolling Stones would provide the halftime entertainment prompted an uproar in Detroit, the original home of Motown Records, which gave the world such artists as Wonder, Smokey Robinson, the Supremes and the Four Tops.

Detroit-area residents are fiercely proud of the city's musical contributions, which extend beyond Motown to more recent stars like Eminem and Kid Rock. Aretha Franklin's singing career started at the Detroit church where her father preached, and the Queen of Soul still lives in the area. Ted Nugent, Madonna and Bob Seger also hail from Michigan.

Many saw it as a snub that those stars were passed over for halftime. Detroit radio personality Mildred Gaddis gave out the number of an NFL official on the air and urged listeners to call and complain.

McCarthy said it was always the league's intention to honor Motown in the pregame show. But halftime, he said, is bigger than Detroit.

"The Super Bowl transcends the host city and even the country," he said.

McCarthy noted that the 1998 Super Bowl in San Diego featured a Motown tribute in honor of the label's 40th anniversary. Performers included Robinson, Martha Reeves and The Temptations.

February's game will be the second in a row that halftime entertainment has been provided by British musicians over 60. Paul McCartney played halftime last year, as the NFL sought a family-friendly act to follow Janet Jackson's "wardrobe malfunction" in 2004.

Stevie Wonder: http://www.steviewonder.net/

NFL: http://www.nfl.com

Updated on Monday, Dec 5, 2005 5:27 pm EST

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns

siberian khatru 12-06-2005 12:29 PM

He worked as a line judge in the Chiefs-Broncos game last Sunday.

funk monkey 12-06-2005 12:32 PM

well nothing against the rolling stones and stevie...I love them...but whats with all of the old artists comin to the superbowl. I dont want the crappy pop stuff that Janet did when she indecently exposed herself, and thats prolly why theve toned it down with the more mellow artists like with mcartny last year..i would love to see some moving music, like system of a down, or some rap to appeal to most of the viewers

DaneMcCloud 12-06-2005 12:46 PM

The NFL brass must think this is 1972. Hey, maybe they can get Bread or the Osmonds to perform. Woo-Hoo.

Dane
~Seriously disappointed in the musical choices

Simplex3 12-06-2005 01:10 PM

I have an even better idea:

DROP THE STUPID F**KING MUSICAL HALFTIME BULLS**T. How about talking about the game? The season that led up to it? Next year? You know, FOOTBALL. Christ, we already have eleventy billion music awards shows for these asshats to perform at, why must they show up during my football games, too?

ChiTown 12-06-2005 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud
The NFL brass must think this is 1972. Hey, maybe they can get Bread or the Osmonds to perform. Woo-Hoo.

Dane
~Seriously disappointed in the musical choices

Bread? Are you kidding? I love Baby I'm-A Want You!

ROFL

ptlyon 12-06-2005 01:20 PM

Thank God the Chiefs won't be in it so I don't have to watch it.

Rain Man 12-06-2005 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simplex3
I have an even better idea:

DROP THE STUPID F**KING MUSICAL HALFTIME BULLS**T. How about talking about the game? The season that led up to it? Next year? You know, FOOTBALL. Christ, we already have eleventy billion music awards shows for these asshats to perform at, why must they show up during my football games, too?

If they wanted to cater to football fans, there'd sure be a lot of ways to do it, such as:

1. Replaying the biggest plays of the season.

2. Having a touch football game between players on past Super Bowl teams.

3. Showing a Super Bowl retrospective.

4. Bringing out those two Carolina Panther cheerleaders for a special encore performance.

5. Having a quarterback challenge among non-Super Bowl quarterbacks.

6. Having a fan contest in punt, pass, or kick.

7. Putting on a historical documentary about an old-time Hall of Famer like Nagurski or Grange or Baugh.

8. Dogs catching frisbees.

9. A sumo exhibition.

Feel free to add to this list.

ptlyon 12-06-2005 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man
Feel free to add to this list.

I'd vote for #4.

CoMoChief 12-06-2005 01:31 PM

How about a fight til death match between Steven Segal and Chuck Norris?

StcChief 12-06-2005 01:54 PM

Stones rule and span continents (their SB audience)
span generations of fans.

Like the NFL - 40 years of SB. 1965-2005.

Any other touring band with 40 years experience?

The Music is just as relevant today as 1965.

Not the 'new' sound, The Bands now are trying to find niche in an over done industry.

sedated 12-06-2005 02:01 PM

How about a mosh-pit fist fight between every NFL mascot.

MichaelH 12-06-2005 02:52 PM

The halftime show should consist of the hottest cheerleaders from each team participating in Victoria Secret-like runway panty show.

Reaper16 12-06-2005 03:10 PM

Well, wouldn't they have to? He can't line himself up, now can he?

Rain Man 12-06-2005 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptlyon
I'd vote for #4.

It certainly seems like a logical choice. Plus, it would make everyone forget that Janet Jackson fiasco.