ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Williamson: Early AFC West Salary Cap Check... (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=268632)

SAUTO 01-08-2013 05:55 PM

Harvin also choke slammed a coach in college.
Posted via Mobile Device

DJ's left nut 01-08-2013 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 9297427)
I agree with everything but this. Rodney Hudson was the most decorated OL at FSU for a reason.

He's gonna be a very solid C for years.

Maybe he will, maybe he won't. We don't know what his knee will bounce back as and he was playing pretty poorly before the injury.

Bring in an established C and then if Hudson comes back healthy, he can play G, where we know he's familiar. At that point you have some versatility if the C gets hurt or loses effectiveness.

If you just bring in a veteran G and Hudson struggles again or doesn't recover from his knee injury that well, you're up shits creek. For the sake of versatility and as a CYA maneuver, I think the interior lineman has to be capable of playing C.

DaneMcCloud 01-08-2013 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9297436)
Maclin and Harvin are both 24 - how are either of them not 'young talent'?

Those are exactly the kinds of guys you would be willing to give away a good pick for. No, you don't give a pick up for a guy like Jennings, but both Harvin and Maclin have 5+ years left in their primes. And they're sure-fire NFL contributors. They've gone through the WR learning curve (which is surprisingly steep) and they fit our need across from Bowe perfectly.

Look, I know we want to stockpile talent and getting rid of picks hurts, but even the best GMs bat .500 on a good day. If you could trade a 2nd rounder for a guy like Harvin or a 3rd for Maclin, you're getting exactly what you're asking for - young talent.

Or you could keep them and get young...something. Maybe it's young talent, maybe it's young roster fodder. It's almost certainly not going to be better than Harvin and the odds suggest it not being better than Maclin.

Harvin's a ****ball and Maclin, IMO, is nothing special.

There's no ****ing way I'd give up the #34 or the #77 for either. Maybe the 4th rounder (somewhere around #110, after the compensatory picks) for Maclin but even then, that pick could provide depth on the interior line or a starting ILB.

Either way, I'm not a fan.

Nightfyre 01-08-2013 05:58 PM

Maclin may be available in free agency. He is not worth the franchise tag.

DJ's left nut 01-08-2013 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 9297443)
Harvin has major head concerns.

Migrane AND crazy
Posted via Mobile Device

And even when he was a disgruntled asshole, he was putting up MVP numbers in Minn.

I'm tired of worrying about choir boys. Talent wins in this league and Harvin's as talented as all but maybe 6-8 WRs in the league. People said the same shit about Brandon Marshall but when he got his deal and a little age on him, he's matured into one of the most dynamic playmakers out there.

"Hell no, I don't want that stabby malcontent...blah blah blah" - Oops, Marshall's actually a freakin' boss.

Harvin appears to be a guy that plays with a chip on his shoulder and it shows behind closed doors. He is not, however, a Diva on the field or in public. He has enough self control to keep that in-house for the most part (with leaks from within the Vikings organization making it public). That tells me he's not an unhinged guy, but rather someone that's unhappy with his contract situation and that's about it.

Give him his extension and, like Marshall, I think he straightens up and flies right.

The Migraines are a concern, but he does appear to have learned to cope/manage them well.

I just don't see why he's not worth a pick that has a 50% chance of being a bust and a virtual 100% chance of not being a better player than he is.

DJ's left nut 01-08-2013 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightfyre (Post 9297456)
Maclin may be available in free agency. He is not worth the franchise tag.

Maclin's under contract for another year.

DaneMcCloud 01-08-2013 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9297464)
I just don't see why he's not worth a pick that has a 50% chance of being a bust and a virtual 100% chance of not being a better player than he is.

Why is Maclin not worth a pick? Well, for one, he put up similar numbers in Philly to that of Steve Breaston (before 2012), with FAR shittier quarterbacks.

Why in the ****ing world would you want to give up a high pick for a guy that gets like 700-900 yards? That's ridiculous.

RunKC 01-08-2013 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9297447)
Maybe he will, maybe he won't. We don't know what his knee will bounce back as and he was playing pretty poorly before the injury.

Bring in an established C and then if Hudson comes back healthy, he can play G, where we know he's familiar. At that point you have some versatility if the C gets hurt or loses effectiveness.

If you just bring in a veteran G and Hudson struggles again or doesn't recover from his knee injury that well, you're up shits creek. For the sake of versatility and as a CYA maneuver, I think the interior lineman has to be capable of playing C.

I agree. I think it would be very wise for us to draft a C with our 4th round pick. I think that Khaled Holmes or Graham Pocic would be a nice insurance policy and both should be there.

Then again, if Barrett Jones is there at 34, it would be extremely difficult to overlook him. That guy is going to be a pro bowler for years.

DJ's left nut 01-08-2013 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9297448)
Harvin's a ****ball and Maclin, IMO, is nothing special.

There's no ****ing way I'd give up the #34 or the #77 for either. Maybe the 4th rounder (somewhere around #110, after the compensatory picks) for Maclin but even then, that pick could provide depth on the interior line or a starting ILB.

Either way, I'm not a fan.

How confident are you that Stedman Bailey will be more productive than either of those guys over the next 5 years?

They're established, productive, NFL players with their prime years ahead of them and a ton of skill between them. Maclin was Bailey before Bailey (likely better). Harvin was Austin before Austin (definitely better). And they've both made the NFL transition that trips up so many guys.

Eh, to each their own. If I'm investing in a QB at 1.1 this year, I'm going to want an immediate #2 WR and deep threat alongside Bowe. The 2.1 for Harvin or Maclin essentially guarantees that.

Nightfyre 01-08-2013 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9297465)
Maclin's under contract for another year.

I wonder why I thought he was a free agent... Well, I'd rather wait a year than give up a pick for him. Especially in a draft this deep in WR.

SAUTO 01-08-2013 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9297464)
And even when he was a disgruntled asshole, he was putting up MVP numbers in Minn.

I'm tired of worrying about choir boys. Talent wins in this league and Harvin's as talented as all but maybe 6-8 WRs in the league. People said the same shit about Brandon Marshall but when he got his deal and a little age on him, he's matured into one of the most dynamic playmakers out there.

"Hell no, I don't want that stabby malcontent...blah blah blah" - Oops, Marshall's actually a freakin' boss.

Harvin appears to be a guy that plays with a chip on his shoulder and it shows behind closed doors. He is not, however, a Diva on the field or in public. He has enough self control to keep that in-house for the most part (with leaks from within the Vikings organization making it public). That tells me he's not an unhinged guy, but rather someone that's unhappy with his contract situation and that's about it.

Give him his extension and, like Marshall, I think he straightens up and flies right.

The Migraines are a concern, but he does appear to have learned to cope/manage them well.

he choke slammed a coach in college during practice.

He has fought with every NFL coach he has had.

He has migraine issues, he has had multiple other injuries.

Sorry I will pass.

And FTR I agree with you on choir boys, but this guy is out there
Posted via Mobile Device

DJ's left nut 01-08-2013 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9297469)
Why is Maclin not worth a pick? Well, for one, he put up similar numbers in Philly to that of Steve Breaston (before 2012), with FAR shittier quarterbacks.

Why in the ****ing world would you want to give up a high pick for a guy that gets like 700-900 yards? That's ridiculous.

His skills.

Granted, I'm a Mizzou fan, but do you remember Maclin in college and coming out? He was as electric as anyone out there. Those skills haven't deteriorated. He's still incredibly explosive in and out of his cuts and can get behind most secondaries.

I honestly think his problem in Philly is DeSean Jackson. They have Jackson running the routes that Maclin would be best at and they have Maclin running the patterns that you want someone like Bowe running. I think Maclin alongside Bowe would be one of the best #2 WRs in football and would provide a huge boost to everyone on the offense by spreading the field.

Bailey is not more physically gifted than Maclin - he just isn't. So I see nothing to suggest that Bailey would be better than Maclin at this level other than the unknown which captivates us every draft season.

Pasta Little Brioni 01-08-2013 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 9297434)
IMO we would be dumb as shit to give up that.
Posted via Mobile Device

You wouldn't give a 4th for Harvin?

DaneMcCloud 01-08-2013 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9297478)
How confident are you that Stedman Bailey will be more productive than either of those guys over the next 5 years?

They're established, productive, NFL players with their prime years ahead of them and a ton of skill between them. Maclin was Bailey before Bailey (likely better). Harvin was Austin before Austin (definitely better). And they've both made the NFL transition that trips up so many guys.

Eh, to each their own. If I'm investing in a QB at 1.1 this year, I'm going to want an immediate #2 WR and deep threat alongside Bowe. The 2.1 for Harvin or Maclin essentially guarantees that.

So, Breaston and Baldwin aren't number 2 threats in Reid's offense? Wiley was fast as **** at The Combines and seems to have decent hands.

The Chiefs, IMO, have far greater needs with their high picks than a ****ing 2nd WR. They need a starter at CB, safety, ILB in addition to depth everywhere. I'd also like to see them take a developmental QB with their compensatory pick or their 4th rounder.

Maclin is a luxury the Chiefs can't afford this year. Plus, again, I don't think he's anything special. And **** Harvin.

Pasta Little Brioni 01-08-2013 06:08 PM

I'm with DJ nut. I'd be estatic to get either for a 3rd.