ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Creed - A Rocky Balboa spinoff, Stallone to co-star (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=274761)

tk13 07-24-2013 11:32 AM

Creed - A Rocky Balboa spinoff, Stallone to co-star

http://www.indiewire.com/article/mic...one-to-co-star

Quote:

'Fruitvale' Duo Michael B. Jordan and Ryan Coogler Re-Team For 'Rocky' Spinoff 'Creed'; Sylvester Stallone to Co-Star

What do you do once you make a successful independent film? Make a studio-driven blockbuster, of course. Deadline Hollywood is reporting the duo behind this year's Sundance winner "Fruitvale Station" is re-teaming for "Creed," a continuation of the "Rocky" franchise focusing on Apollo Creed's grandson. Coogler is set to direct and MGM is in talks with Michael B. Jordan for the lead role. Sylvester Stallone is set to return as the beloved Philadelphia fighter Rocky Balboa.

According to the report, the film is entirely Coogler's idea, calling the spinoff a "dream project." Coogler came up with the concept himself before getting in touch with Stallone through his agency. The veteran action star and director loved it, and the two then turned to MGM for financing. The studio came through, and now the original Academy Award-winning producers of "Rocky," Irwin Winkler and Robert Chartoff, are even set to return.

Coogler's story focuses on Apollo Creed's grandson, a well-off young man who nevertheless turns to fighting because of the natural abilities bestowed on him from his one-time heavyweight champion grandpa. He has potential, but obviously needs a mentor to succeed. Who better than the one man to best his grandfather, Rocky Balboa? Though out of the sport entirely, Balboa is undoubtedly tempted to return in order to help the grandson of one of his oldest friends.

Jordan is all too familiar with beloved franchises, even if his prior two have come on the small screen. The young actor scored a much-loved role on HBO's critical darling "The Wire" as Wallace, and later became part of the new cast on "Friday Night Lights" as QB1 Vince Howard. It was there that Jordan showed off his natural athleticism, an attribute undoubtedly helpful for playing the grandson of Muhammed Ali-esque Apollo Creed (and fitting considering the other MIchael Jordan). Indiewire's Nigel Smith recently sat down with Jordan to discuss his relationship with Coogler and his future projects.

"Certain people are natural born leaders and that's what Ryan is," said Jordan. "He's so wise beyond his years. He's an old soul. We just connected. I felt like I was making a movie with one of my best friends and that's a good feeling to have." In regard to the future, Jordan said, "I'm really just reading a lot of scripts figuring out what I want to do next. That's something that's changed -- having more options and choices."

The immediate question that comes to mind for all "Rocky" fans is, "What the hell happened to Duke?" Apollo's former trainer who became the Rock's cornerman for his fights against Ivan Drago and Mason "The Line" Dixon would seem like an obvious choice for Apollo Jr.'s mentor. Obviously, Stallone as Rocky is a bigger draw at the box office than Tony Burton, but we hope nothing has happened to Duke since we last saw him training Rocky to build some "hurtin' bombs." The kid could use some of those, too.

This also begs the question of whether or not other characters will reappear. Adrian (Talia Shire) has passed on, but Paulie (Burt Young) would be an excellent addition to the kid's corner, and Rocky's son, Rocky Jr. (last played by Milo Ventimiglia), would also be a welcome sight. I doubt anyone is too worried about Marie and her son Steps reappearing, but getting the gang back together always helps add a welcome degree of sentimentality to the proceedings. What will be really interesting is if they can figure out a way for Carl Weathers to appear. It would be tricky, seeing as his character died 28 years ago, but homage needs to be paid one way or another to the fast-talking champ.

cosmo20002 07-24-2013 02:01 PM

:facepalm:

Just :facepalm:

'Hamas' Jenkins 07-24-2013 02:04 PM

One of the things I always hated about Rocky V:

Apollo Creed had bank. You're telling me that his wife did nothing to help out the Balboas after Rocky avenged her husband's death, giving himself permanent brain damage in the process? There's no ****ing way that would have happened.

DaneMcCloud 07-24-2013 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 9831640)

Apollo Creed had bank. You're telling me that his wife did nothing to help out the Balboas after Rocky avenged her husband's death, giving himself permanent brain damage in the process? There's no ****ing way that would have happened.

And in Rocky VI, he still had no money? He could have been a fight commentator on HBO, Spike, Showtime, ESPN and PPV bouts, in addition to the Olympics, video games and game covers, etc. and so on.

Furthermore, he'd have had endorsement deals because was a literate, worldwide celebrity. From cologne to cars to cooking appliances to boxing gear: ANY corporation would stand to benefit from the former World Heavyweight Champion's endorsement.

It was a fun movie but a silly narrative.

Fish 07-24-2013 02:24 PM

Shitty band.

Frazod 07-24-2013 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9831659)
And in Rocky VI, he still had no money? He could have been a fight commentator on HBO, Spike, Showtime, ESPN and PPV bouts, in addition to the Olympics, video games and game covers, etc. and so on.

Furthermore, he'd have had endorsement deals because was a literate, worldwide celebrity. From cologne to cars to cooking appliances to boxing gear: ANY corporation would stand to benefit from the former World Heavyweight Champion's endorsement.

It was a fun movie but a silly narrative.

Yep. I liked the new Rambo much better than the new Rocky.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 07-24-2013 03:16 PM

Stallone gonna need to give Jordan some bulking tips

Thig Lyfe 07-24-2013 03:19 PM

Michael B. Jordan is a great actor. This could be very good.

Mr. Laz 07-24-2013 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmo20002 (Post 9831637)
:facepalm:

Just :facepalm:

sums it up pretty well

AdumbGuy 07-24-2013 03:32 PM

Quote:

Rocky V? You must be mistaken. It never happened. They just went straight to Rocky VI. Yes.

Chiefspants 07-24-2013 03:39 PM

Quote:

This is one of the many, many reasons why Rocky V was an absolute ****house production.

AdumbGuy 07-24-2013 03:47 PM

I wouldn't mind something where they reprised Clubber Lang somehow. What a great anti-hero he would make.

cosmo20002 07-24-2013 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdumbGuy (Post 9831908)
I wouldn't mind something where they reprised Clubber Lang somehow. What a great anti-hero he would make.

Yes! Mr. T is still in decent shape. And Ivan Drago too. Get Hulk Hogan/Thunderlips in there also somehow. Now that at least would be a trainwreck worth seeing. At least seeing on cable.

Clubber killed Mickey, Ivan killed Apollo, now Rocky returns to his street thug instincts and seeks revenge. The thing writes itself.

BWillie 07-24-2013 07:25 PM

I'll see it probably. As long as Rocky doesn't actually get in the ring and fight, which it doesn't sound like he will. Creed's son maybe can be the new Rocky for this generation and run with it.

Deberg_1990 07-24-2013 07:29 PM

Lets bring in Tommy Morrison as well, what the hell.

This could basically be the Rocky version of the Avengers.