ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life So my son wants a tattoo (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=269756)

frankotank 02-06-2013 01:52 PM

So my son wants a tattoo

He turns 18 about 6 months at which point he can do what he wants anyways. We're using this as a bargaining chip for now....get your grades up and we'll consider it. Welp....just got the mid quarters and he is kicking some major ass!
He wants angel wings (two wings on one arm) from his shoulder to his elbow in honor of his grandmother who passed last year so it's not like it's gonna be small or easily concealed.
I have no problem with tattoos, and honestly i think his idea is a good one. But he's a 17 year old kid. Not sure that this is a good idea. Especially considering the size.

Thoughts?

HonestChieffan 02-06-2013 01:53 PM

Face Tats are the rage.

ptlyon 02-06-2013 01:54 PM

Make sure he puts it on his face

Deberg_1990 02-06-2013 01:54 PM

Whatever MemyselfI thinks.....

suds79 02-06-2013 01:55 PM

I think they're all ugly.

But if he gets one, at least make it so it can be concealed for the workplace.

blaise 02-06-2013 01:55 PM

It's just me, but if art is too tacky to put on the wall of my house I wouldn't put in on my body. But his sentiment seems nice.

memyselfI 02-06-2013 01:56 PM

Not only let him do it but take him. That way you know he is going some place clean and on the up and up. Make him pay for it though. I hated doing this for my daughter and hoped she would only get one but she ended up getting a bunch later on. I hate them but it's her body, her choices. At least I knew that her first one was in a setting that was as safe as possible.

I can't stand them but it's really a generational thing now. Have him start with something small incase he hates it after it's done or changes his mind later on.

teedubya 02-06-2013 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9382539)
Whatever MemyselfI thinks.....

ROFL

KC_Lee 02-06-2013 02:02 PM

I have some ink, 3 in total with another 4 planned, and some free advice.

First, do as much research as you can on the shops you are considering. They need to be friendly, professional and clean. If you get a bunch of D-bags walk out, if the place looks like a frat house after a weekend party walk out.

Talk him out of the wings. For the size he wants (from shoulder to elbow) they will look like crap. If he insists talk with the artist. Any tattoo artist worth their salt will tell you if a tat will look like crap before starting and will suggest (size or location) a better alternative.

Hope that helps.

Easy 6 02-06-2013 02:02 PM

He'll be able to do it on his own soon enough anyway, so whats the harm of coming out of this as the good guy?

Its not like he's getting a satan thats "clawing" its way through his skin or something, honoring grandma sounds like a noble idea.

You say he's been kicking ass, so let him do it.

memyselfI 02-06-2013 02:05 PM

IIRC, if he is under 18 he will need a parent's consent anyway so you will be involved.

mr. tegu 02-06-2013 02:09 PM

Since he is going to do it when he turns 18 anyways, have you considered putting up signs at all the area tattoo shops that say, "Do not serve this person" with his picture on it?

Graystoke 02-06-2013 02:10 PM

My Son got his first one when he was 18. It was a nice decent tattoo. He then followed up with 3 shitty ones.

Strongside 02-06-2013 02:10 PM

It's a personal choice. I actually apprenticed as a tattoo artist while in college. I'm sleeved from my shoulder to two inches past my elbow and from my right knee to my ankle. I also work with fortune 500 CEO's and clientele daily. I do have to pick and choose which clients to keep them visible/not visible for. In some pitches, I feel it's actually given my agency an edge to have them showing as people tend to associate them with creativity. There's nothing wrong with your son having ink as long as he's understanding of these facts:

a) They're there forever. You DO NOT want laser removal.
b) Regardless of what you do in life, you will want to be able to cover them when you need to.
c) Know that not everyone feels the same about tattoos as you do, and while they are definitely losing their taboo status in our society, there are still employers who will frown on them depending what his career choice is.

Again, if he wants them and understands the ramifications, tell him to go for it and be supportive. I know from experience that nothing's worse than having something put on your body that you're super excited about and that will be there forever, and having a loved one tell you that they hate it. It's a soul crusher.

EDIT: Also, have him research HEAVILY to find a good shop. Anyone can get a license these days, so he will want to find a top-notch artist. I can give you some great locations if you're in the KC area. Just PM me.

Sorter 02-06-2013 02:10 PM

Get it done in Russia. He'll be able to find a girlfriend relatively quickly there once he gets his new face tat. Plus, its like you're getting 2 birds stoned at once, you know?

Reerun_KC 02-06-2013 02:11 PM

He will instantly become a bad ass, cause guys with tats are bad assess..

Be prepared for his major badassery when he is done...

But yes I second, Get it on his neck and face so people will be fearful of his badassery.

Bwana 02-06-2013 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HonestChieffan (Post 9382533)
Face Tats are the rage.

Mike Tyson approves.

http://www.materialworldblog.com/wp-...n-tattoo-1.jpg

Sorter 02-06-2013 02:15 PM

Frank, if your son gets a face tat, he will become a champion boxer and date russian females. Fact.

Molitoth 02-06-2013 02:15 PM

Quote:

nothing's worse than having something put on your body that you're super excited about and that will be there forever, and having a loved one tell you that they hate it. It's a soul crusher.
Just think of how hometeam felt when he got nailed with Fisty McTatt.

1ChiefsDan 02-06-2013 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Lee (Post 9382559)

First, do as much research as you can on the shops you are considering. They need to be friendly, professional and clean. If you get a bunch of D-bags walk out, if the place looks like a frat house after a weekend party walk out.

Talk him out of the wings. For the size he wants (from shoulder to elbow) they will look like crap. If he insists talk with the artist. Any tattoo artist worth their salt will tell you if a tat will look like crap before starting and will suggest (size or location) a better alternative.

Hope that helps.

This! I only have one, but I spent a lot of time finding the right shop and the right artist. A lot of the big shops are just factories.

I found a nice clean shop with an artist that was really into her work. When I showed her the picture that I wanted, you could see and hear the enthusiasm. At other shops they were just meh.

Sorter 02-06-2013 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Molitoth (Post 9382613)

Holy shit.

LMAOLMAOLMAO

QuikSsurfer 02-06-2013 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Molitoth (Post 9382613)

BOOMSHAKALAKA

Radar Chief 02-06-2013 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Lee (Post 9382559)

Hope that helps.

Yea, a whole bunch of ^this.
Go to a reputable shop. Don’t go to some garage shop scratcher that’ll give him an infected prison tattoo.
Also, a tat that big is probably going to be around 4 hours, which may sound like no big deal until that needle starts buzzing skin.

ptlyon 02-06-2013 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I Am The Walrus (Post 9382614)
This! I only have one, but I spent a lot of time finding the right shop and the right artist. A lot of the big shops are just factories.

I found a nice clean shop with an artist that was really into her work. When I showed her the picture that I wanted, you could see and hear the enthusiasm. At other shops they were just meh.

She always wanted to do one of micky mouse ****ing a horse?

frankotank 02-06-2013 02:21 PM

hahahaha
cracking up at some of these posts. you guys are nuts.

yeah I will absolutely go with him and I will pick the shop.
I hope I can talk him out of shoulder to elbow for his first one. that's big.

there is some really good advice in here. (along with bad, crazy, and humorous)

Mike Tython RULETHHH!

seclark 02-06-2013 02:24 PM

both sons got them at 18. they're 31 now and one of them wishes he hadn't. not because it's a tattoo, but he doesn't like the tattoo, itself.

they want to chip in and buy me one, but i told them to go **** themselves.
they're good kids...
sec

ptlyon 02-06-2013 02:24 PM

Try talking him into a teddy bear on his butt like Radar O'reiley

Strongside 02-06-2013 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankotank (Post 9382637)
hahahaha
cracking up at some of these posts. you guys are nuts.

yeah I will absolutely go with him and I will pick the shop.
I hope I can talk him out of shoulder to elbow for his first one. that's big.

there is some really good advice in here. (along with bad, crazy, and humorous)

Mike Tython RULETHHH!

Not to mention shoulder to elbow will possibly require 2 sessions to finish...depending on how much shading/color (if any) he's doing.

Sorter 02-06-2013 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seclark (Post 9382648)
both sons got them at 18. they're 31 now and one of them wishes he hadn't. not because it's a tattoo, but he doesn't like the tattoo, itself.

they want to chip in and buy me one, but i told them to go **** themselves.
they're good kids...
sec

ROFL

Imon Yourside 02-06-2013 02:26 PM

No, but that's just my humble opinion.

Carlota69 02-06-2013 02:26 PM

Without a doubt, do your research on the shop and the artist. I took over a week, and lots of hours researching the right artist. Of course, it took me 20 years to finally do what I had always wanted to do as well. So, time and real thought is key. Clean artist, clean shop and friendly service. My thought is, I better like the guy who is inflicting all this pain on me. My relationship with my artist became very important. I trust him. Hes the guy Im going back to when its time to finish my sleeve. Also, once you find the right artist, trust that artist. They should tell you whether that tattoo is going to look good or if it would be better another way, another place.

Good Luck, and enjoy the experience with your son.:)

Oh, and when its time, make sure he eats a big protein heavy meal. A Fat burger was always my meal pre-session. And get him the darkest chocolate possible, and have him eat bites of it during the tat. Dark Chocolate releases the love endorphines and helps (somewhat) with the pain.

KCUnited 02-06-2013 02:26 PM

Not to diminish the thought behind it, but angel wings are played, they're a downward trend one notch above nautical stars.

I'd take the sentiment to a reputable artist and talk about ideas that are unique/individual as opposed to some shit every hipster/mma guy is walking around with.

frankotank 02-06-2013 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptlyon (Post 9382649)

I suggested going the Steve-O route. he wasn't amused.

http://punchpin.com/thumbs/all_files...rry.com.au.jpg

Radar Chief 02-06-2013 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptlyon (Post 9382649)

Roy Orbison. What momma don’t know won’t hurt her. /Coach Klein

luv 02-06-2013 02:32 PM

Shoulder to elbow wings on one arm? Those will be some skinny wings. I have a friend who got something similar on her lower back. Turned out well. :p

Carlota69 02-06-2013 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 9382661)
Not to diminish the thought behind it, but angel wings are played, they're a downward trend one notch above nautical stars.

I'd take the sentiment to a reputable artist and talk about ideas that are unique/individual as opposed to some shit every hipster/mma guy is walking around with.

True Story^^^^^^^^^
I would defintely bring this up. Angel Wings really are the "new" tribal. Played the F Out. There are many ways your son could pay tribute to his granmother that are unique to his relationship with her. talking to a good artist about it, they will help with that.

KC_Lee 02-06-2013 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 9382661)

I have to agree with this, the angel wings are really, really played out. And if you're going to have something on you for life make it meaningful. Not that honoring ones grandmother is not meaningful but I'd recommend you do it in an untrendy manner.

mikey23545 02-06-2013 02:36 PM

Make sure and take him to the circus first, so he can see the wide range of employment opportunities which will be available to him after getting some tattoos.

Sorter 02-06-2013 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv (Post 9382674)
Shoulder to elbow wings on one arm? Those will be some skinny wings. I have a friend who got something similar on her lower back. Turned out well. :p

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_md...9d7mo1_500.gif

frankotank 02-06-2013 02:38 PM

it's official, I'm gonna have to read this entire thread to him tonight.

egads...the mention of tribal tats....YIKES!

Frosty 02-06-2013 02:38 PM

I always think of angel wings as something women do. Do men actually get those too?

NTTIAWWT

frankotank 02-06-2013 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikey23545 (Post 9382682)
Make sure and take him to the circus first, so he can see the wide range of employment opportunities which will be available to him after getting some tattoos.

ROFL

U R DUM

ptlyon 02-06-2013 02:40 PM

Ok angel wings are out. Did she make real awesome rolls or muffins or something?

frankotank 02-06-2013 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Lee (Post 9382680)
I have to agree with this, the angel wings are really, really played out. And if you're going to have something on you for life make it meaningful. Not that honoring ones grandmother is not meaningful but I'd recommend you do it in an untrendy manner.

I am pretty sure after I read all these comments to him he's gonna reconsider.
he, like me, marches to the beat of his own drummer. being trendy is dumb.

Mr. Flopnuts 02-06-2013 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankotank (Post 9382530)
He turns 18 about 6 months at which point he can do what he wants anyways. We're using this as a bargaining chip for now....get your grades up and we'll consider it. Welp....just got the mid quarters and he is kicking some major ass!
He wants angel wings (two wings on one arm) from his shoulder to his elbow in honor of his grandmother who passed last year so it's not like it's gonna be small or easily concealed.
I have no problem with tattoos, and honestly i think his idea is a good one. But he's a 17 year old kid. Not sure that this is a good idea. Especially considering the size.

Thoughts?

Make sure he understands tattoos need to be above the elbows. Sleeves as they're called will require him to wear long sleeved shirts in the dead of summer as most employers will require they be concealed.

I turn 36 in April and I have no tattoos. The only reason why is I've never found anything I wanted printed on my body forever. I don't think there's any harm in it at all, and I think what he wants and why he wants it is noble and you should honor your end of the bargain. Just my 2 cents.

Carlota69 02-06-2013 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankotank (Post 9382686)
it's official, I'm gonna have to read this entire thread to him tonight.

egads...the mention of tribal tats....YIKES!

OK, then to FrankOtanks son:
Really think about your relationship with your grandma. Think about what was special regarding her.. bring that into your tattoo. Angel Wings really are played out. tiresome and not even close to unique. Make it special. This is a lifetime your talking about. Really think hard about the design, and also work with your artist on the design, and trust them. Its what they do for a living.
Also, treat the day as a big one. Take a good shower, eat a big meal and be ready;-)

frankotank 02-06-2013 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptlyon (Post 9382693)
Ok angel wings are out. Did she make real awesome rolls or muffins or something?

good Lord! ROFL

why yes...yes she did actually. she was the head lunch lady! that woman could cook up a storm.

hmm.....muffins.....

The Franchise 02-06-2013 02:43 PM

He wants a tribute to his Grandma? Get a portrait done by a portrait artist.

saphojunkie 02-06-2013 02:43 PM

I got a tattoo when I was 18. I wanted it to be something that A) I was proud of; B) I would have emotional attachment to forever, and B) Meant something very real to me.

I thought about it a long time, and I came up with my last name. It is who I am (which will never change). So I got my last name tattooed on my arm with the words 4 Life! underneath them.

That was 1937.

And my last name is Hitler.

Whoops.

RyFo18 02-06-2013 02:44 PM

If it's a tattoo of the Jacksonville Jaguars logo, make sure he's aware they just got a new one. That would suck otherwise.

The Franchise 02-06-2013 02:44 PM

And I've got 5 tattoos.

One on the back of my neck. One on each bicep. One on my chest and one on my left forearm.

Frosty 02-06-2013 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 9382699)
The only reason why is I've never found anything I wanted printed on my body forever.

I'm in this boat too. I also end up picturing what a sleeve or something looks like in your later years when stuff starts sagging.

Carlota69 02-06-2013 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 9382711)
I'm in this boat too. I also end up picturing what a sleeve or something looks like in your later years when stuff starts sagging.

I always find this arguement funny. When my shit starts sagging, at least it will be a colorful sag.o:-)

loochy 02-06-2013 02:48 PM

best idea ever.

Just ask hometeam.

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/...9857512943.jpg

Mr. Flopnuts 02-06-2013 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9382705)
He wants a tribute to his Grandma? Get a portrait done by a portrait artist.

This!

ptlyon 02-06-2013 02:49 PM

Quote:

The only reason why is I've never found anything I wanted printed on my body forever.

Exact same with me.

However, if it were to happen, I would definitely have one on my face that said "Taylor Swift sat here"

Graystoke 02-06-2013 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carlota69 (Post 9382713)
I always find this arguement funny. When my shit starts sagging, at least it will be a colorful sag.o:-)

Once you sag, you never go back.

Ya its that good!

tooge 02-06-2013 02:50 PM

let him have it. be involved. take him and give him your feedback on the design before it's on. People have been tattooing their bodies since the beginning of time, there's nothing wrong with it.

Having said that, make sure it is one he can conceal.

Mr. Flopnuts 02-06-2013 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptlyon (Post 9382718)
Exact same with me.

However, if it were to happen, I would definitely have one on my face that said "Taylor Swift sat here"

ROFL

Frosty 02-06-2013 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carlota69 (Post 9382713)

It will look really cool when you get those old lady batwings.

Me, I'm planning on getting all of my tattoos when I turn 70. Then I don't have to worry about it. :)

tooge 02-06-2013 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 9382711)

Thats why I waited for till I had children. They will always be my children, so my tat is a germanic design of their initials.

ptlyon 02-06-2013 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankotank (Post 9382703)
good Lord! ROFL

why yes...yes she did actually. she was the head lunch lady! that woman could cook up a storm.

hmm.....muffins.....

Then it will definitely have to say "I loved your muffins Grandma!"

The Franchise 02-06-2013 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooge (Post 9382729)
Thats why I waited for till I had children. They will always be my children, so my tat is a germanic design of their initials.

I've got my twins portraits on my forearm.

Frosty 02-06-2013 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooge (Post 9382729)

I'm waiting until mine are out of the teens. Then I might want to claim them again. :D

KCUnited 02-06-2013 02:54 PM

Old skin looks like shit regardless. Also, forget price. This is one of the few purchases you'll make that is forever. It always cracks me up when someone will drop a grand on tv they'll likely upgrade within 10 years but think $100 bucks an hour for something they'll have forever is OUTRAGEOUS.

The Franchise 02-06-2013 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 9382736)
Old skin looks like shit regardless. Also, forget price. This is one of the few purchases you'll make that is forever. It always cracks me up when someone will drop a grand on tv they'll likely upgrade within 10 years but think $100 bucks an hour for something they'll have forever is OUTRAGEOUS.

This. Good tattoos are not cheap.

frankotank 02-06-2013 02:59 PM

Quote:

Make sure he understands tattoos need to be above the elbows. Sleeves as they're called will require him to wear long sleeved shirts in the dead of summer as most employers will require they be concealed.

I turn 36 in April and I have no tattoos. The only reason why is I've never found anything I wanted printed on my body forever. I don't think there's any harm in it at all, and I think what he wants and why he wants it is noble and you should honor your end of the bargain. Just my 2 cents.

yeah I'd not come across anything I'd consider tattooing either....until about a month ago. man I'm gonna get so much shit for this.....ROFL
I read a Stephen King book (The Wind Through The Keyhole) and at the end, written in "High Speech" (some weird type of writing in Kings made up world) were the words I FORGIVE.
Since I’m such a mean bastard a lot of times, I thought it might be kinda cool to get the high speech word FORGIVE tattooed somewhere..small and easily concealed. It’d be something nobody would know what the hell it is and it’d be a reminder to me to stop being such a mean asshole! And you know, maybe if I was to ever get to a place where I was more forgiving….add the word I in front of it.
Then I found out…shocker…not exactly an original idea.

This is how SK spells I FORGIVE in high speech.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/36a0247ef...b58zo1_500.jpg

Dayze 02-06-2013 03:01 PM

You should consult with Hometeam.

frankotank 02-06-2013 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 9382752)
You should consult with Hometeam.

has that guy ever showed up again after posting his tat??

Dayze 02-06-2013 03:03 PM

I think so; if I recall he took it like a man after a while.

frankotank 02-06-2013 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 9382757)
I think so; if I recall he took it like a man after a while.

man I'd LOVE to see the finished product.

Carlota69 02-06-2013 03:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
[IMG][/IMG]
Quote:

Originally Posted by frankotank (Post 9382703)
good Lord! ROFL

hmm.....muffins.....

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

Molitoth 02-06-2013 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankotank (Post 9382756)
has that guy ever showed up again after posting his tat??

He's a good sport. Regular poster now.

frankotank 02-06-2013 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Molitoth (Post 9382770)
He's a good sport. Regular poster now.

really? is the tattoo done? filled in?
is there a snowballs chance in hell he'd post a pic after all the shit he was given?

frankotank 02-06-2013 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carlota69 (Post 9382765)

I don't even....
wow. in comparison, I guess my FORGIVE idea isn't really all that bad! :LOL:

Carlota69 02-06-2013 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankotank (Post 9382774)
I don't even....
wow. in comparison, I guess my FORGIVE idea isn't really all that bad! :LOL:

Someone really wanted to pay homage to their sweet tooth I guess..lmao

Frosty 02-06-2013 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carlota69 (Post 9382780)

If you look beyond her tattoo, she's already doing that.

seclark 02-06-2013 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carlota69 (Post 9382780)

you could play candyland on that arm.
sec

KCUnited 02-06-2013 03:19 PM

Another insider tip, the day he gets it have him spend the night somewhere. No point getting blood and ink on your own sheets.

Carlota69 02-06-2013 03:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by seclark (Post 9382792)
you could play candyland on that arm.
sec

Yes, yes you could...