ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   News The Moon Is Made Of Cheese (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=207692)

FAX 05-14-2009 03:47 PM

The Moon Is Made Of Cheese

Mr. MOhillbilly did a post thing in another thread that got me to thinking with my brain stuff. The post was succinct, compelling, pointed, and it goes like this, "The moon is made of cheese."

This fascinating statement caused me to start wondering where scientists back in ancient times got the wacky idea that the moon was made of cheese. It seems incredibly dumb to me. I guess that back in those stupid, ancient days, they didn't know how big the moon was so they didn't realize how much damn cheese would be necessary to make a moon, but still. Of course, they also thought the Earth was flat and the universe revolved around our planet. Man, those were some really stupid, ancient peeps back in those days weren't they?

Anyhow, I thought to myself, "Hey! I'll bet that the Planeteer community knows about lots and lots of other stupid, ancient ideas that stupid, ancient peeps had!!!" Then, I thought back, "I know. I'll start a thread and find out how many stupid, ancient ideas that stupid, ancient peeps had that we can put in the thread that I make!!!" So that's what I'm doing, by willies.

Therefore, if you are so inclined, please post any and all really stupid, ancient ideas that stupid, ancient peeps had in this thread.

FAX

Disclaimers: Sorry if repost. Sorry if stupid, ancient idea.

Garcia Bronco 05-14-2009 03:50 PM

They also thought the moon was surrounded in glass.

Demonpenz 05-14-2009 03:51 PM

if the moon were made of spareribs, would you eat them? -harry carey

stumppy 05-14-2009 03:52 PM

Throwing someone into an active volcano would somehow appease the Gods and prevent the inevitable eruption.

Garcia Bronco 05-14-2009 03:53 PM

Charles Mesmer - the Orgin of the word mesmerism

http://books.google.com/books?id=WKk...esult&resnum=1

Earthling 05-14-2009 03:54 PM

How about the ole chair dunk in the lake to prove a person was a witch...if they didn't drown. Now THAT was water-boarding.

FAX 05-14-2009 03:54 PM

Well, I think that's still a pretty good idea, Mr. stumppy.

Here's one ... they used to think that if you drafted thousands of defensive linemen, your football team would get better.

FAX

Garcia Bronco 05-14-2009 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Earthling (Post 5766034)
How about the ole chair dunk in the lake to prove a person was a witch...if they didn't drown. Now THAT was water-boarding.

Flogging is the word I believe. If you floated you were a witch and to be burnt at the stake. If you drowned you were not a witch, but you were dead. It's the Kobasi Maru

Earthling 05-14-2009 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco (Post 5766041)
Flogging is the word I believe. If you floated you were a witch and to be killed. If you drowned you were not a witch, but you were dead.

Hehehe Yep...I don't go back that far so I wasn't sure. :D

MagicHef 05-14-2009 03:57 PM

My favorite is the idea that human knowledge ever has or now does amount to anything meaningful.

Crush 05-14-2009 03:58 PM

An old Scandinavian name for northern lights translates as "herring flash". It was believed that northern lights were the reflections cast by large swarms of herring onto the sky.

FAX 05-14-2009 03:58 PM

On the subject of the glass thing, Mr. Garcia Bronco ... at one time, didn't they think that the Earth was surrounded by a big sphere thing, too? And the stars were holes in the sphere, or something? I think I read that somewhere in some stupid, ancient book.

FAX

Garcia Bronco 05-14-2009 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FAX (Post 5766048)
On the subject of the glass thing, Mr. Garcia Bronco ... at one time, didn't they think that the Earth was surrounded by a big sphere thing, too? And the stars were holes in the sphere, or something? I think I read that somewhere in some stupid, ancient book.

FAX

I don't know. It sounds like that could be true.

stumppy 05-14-2009 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FAX (Post 5766035)
Well, I think that's still a pretty good idea, Mr. stumppy.

Here's one ... they used to think that if you drafted thousands of defensive linemen, your football team would get better.

FAX

I'd give about anything to go back in time and snuff that one out before it began.

Earthling 05-14-2009 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FAX (Post 5766048)

FAX

I must have browsed that same stupid, ancient, book..I remember it even had a diagram or drawing of sorts..