ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Time for LJ to Put Up..... (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=147857)

jspchief 09-16-2006 05:48 AM

Time for LJ to Put Up.....

A lot of us Chiefs fans have already determined that Larry Johnson is going to be a special player in this league. Well, this Sunday is his chance to seperate himself.

With our starting QB out, and obvious pass protection problems, we need to lean heavily on our running game. The Broncos know this as well. But if LJ is truly as special as many of us seem to believe, he needs to step up to the plate and put the team on his shoulders. The great RBs of the NFL can still get it done in this situation. Even when the opponent stacks the box.

IMO this game needs to be Johnson's first step in proving that he is truly a great back, rather than a good back that had the luxury of running behind a great O-line.

We're playing a hated division rival on the road, and we need someone to step up to the plate. Are you up to the task Larry?

Logical 09-16-2006 05:52 AM

Sorry but that is not fair to LJ, a great running back has to have a great line to lift a team on his shoulders, right now that just is not the case.

jspchief 09-16-2006 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Logical
Sorry but that is not fair to LJ, a great running back has to have a great line to lift a team on his shoulders, right now that just is not the case.

I'm sorry, but LJ has two pro bowlers at guard and a center that probably should have made few. This line is still probably better than half the O-lines in the league. If the line is the excuse for a poor performance this year, then Larry Johnson is not the "special" back that many of thought he was going to be. He's just a good back that looked special behind a great line.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he has to have a big game against Denver or he's a bust. I'm just saying that this team needs a lift from someone, and this is a good opportunity for him to really show what he's made of.

Logical 09-16-2006 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jspchief
I'm sorry, but LJ has two pro bowlers at guard and a center that probably should have made few. This line is still probably better than half the O-lines in the league. If the line is the excuse for a poor performance this year, then Larry Johnson is not the "special" back that many of thought he was going to be. He's just a good back that looked special behind a great line.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he has to have a big game against Denver or he's a bust. I'm just saying that this team needs a lift from someone, and this is a good opportunity for him to really show what he's made of.

I do agree this is an opportunity for him to demonstrate he is really something special, on that we agree. Overcoming extreme adversity is something the LTs and Walter Payton's of the league do and did in the past.

CupidStunt 09-16-2006 06:04 AM

One thing he needs in order to do this is opportunity.

Him getting 60 yards sucks, but if he does that on 15-18 carries, I can't fault him too much. If he does it on 25, then yeah, that's disappointing.

It's really going to be in the ypc for Johnson now. Starting with Denver, to average 4 or more would be a solid start (because Steven Jackson didn't do shit against that defense, minus one relatively flukey run).

CoMoChief 09-16-2006 06:12 AM

Denver is going to make us win with Huard. They will line up with 8 in the box all game long and put the game in Huard's hands. With us not having a good defense to really stop any team thats worth a damn and the fact that we will be playing catch up most of the game will give a green light on Denver giving us pass protection problems. This defense is MUCH better than Cincy's. Add this with the fact we havent won in DEN in 6 seasons and the fact we play like a pee wee football team up there leads me to believe that we don't stand a chance this game. They are NOT gonna play like they did in STL.

Hoover 09-16-2006 06:20 AM

I think our D will keep us in games this year, and especially this game.

If LJ can get 4 ypc, and we give him the rock 25 times, we have a chance. I also think this is a greach chance for Michael Bennett, we have two RBs and we should use them.

2112 09-16-2006 06:23 AM

why dont the Chiefs use more screen passes with Larry Johnson??

I mean..I would try getting him the ball anyway I could..if the chiefs are predictable(2 cracks in the line,throw on 3rd down)LJ will have a long day..if they come out passing to set up the run they have a very good chance of winning and LJ will have a big day..

it all depends on the offensive game plan..you have to put your best players in the best position to do well

CoMoChief 09-16-2006 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoover
I think our D will keep us in games this year, and especially this game.

If LJ can get 4 ypc, and we give him the rock 25 times, we have a chance. I also think this is a greach chance for Michael Bennett, we have two RBs and we should use them.

What makes you think our defense will keep us in games this season? Take off the homer glasses man, our defense still isnt good, it's better than it was, but still not at the point where we can count on them to stop any team thats worth a shit.

CupidStunt 09-16-2006 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill parcells
why dont the Chiefs use more screen passes with Larry Johnson??

I mean..I would try getting him the ball anyway I could..if the chiefs are predictable(2 cracks in the line,throw on 3rd down)LJ will have a long day..if they come out passing to set up the run they have a very good chance of winning and LJ will have a big day..

it all depends on the offensive game plan..you have to put your best players in the best position to do well

5 rec, 80 yards.

How much more do you give your running back?

2112 09-16-2006 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lj4mvp
5 rec, 80 yards.

How much more do you give your running back?

too little, too late..most of that was when the Chiefs were already behind

Gaz 09-16-2006 06:42 AM

Feh...

Johnson cannot do it on his own. The idea that he can “step up to the plate and put the team on his shoulders” without blocking against a good Defense that will be stacking the line to stop the run is simply absurd.

Denver wants to put the game on Huard, just as the Chiefs want to put the game on Plummer. That is the best chance each team has to win the game. And remember that Denver has a better Defense than the Chiefs, so they should do an even better job of it than we can.

Johnson definitely has a role to play this Sunday. And it is an important one. But this “step up, Larry” nonsense displays a serious disconnect with reality.

xoxo~
Gaz
Not sure where people get this stuff.

mac58 09-16-2006 07:05 AM

i completely agree with the thread starter I was thinking the same thing. . .I wasnt too impressed with LJ in game one. . .Barry sanders was truely a great back behind no line and no team. . .

JBucc 09-16-2006 07:15 AM

I agree. LT did it for years with possibly the worst team in the league. That's why ESPN constantly sucks him off and calls him the best player in the NFL. But I'd rather have Sampson and Turley step up. That would help the team more in the long run.

milkman 09-16-2006 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaz

Johnson cannot do it on his own. The idea that he can “step up to the plate and put the team on his shoulders” without blocking against a good Defense that will be stacking the line to stop the run is simply absurd.

Denver wants to put the game on Huard, just as the Chiefs want to put the game on Plummer. That is the best chance each team has to win the game. And remember that Denver has a better Defense than the Chiefs, so they should do an even better job of it than we can.

Johnson definitely has a role to play this Sunday. And it is an important one. But this “step up, Larry” nonsense displays a serious disconnect with reality.

xoxo~
Gaz
Not sure where people get this stuff.

Who exactly was blocking for LdTomlinson in his first couple of seasons.

The Chargers O-Line was horrible, and defenses stacked the box to stop him, and he still put up big numbers.

This O-Line is still solid up the middle, and LJ is a power runner with speed.

Solari needs to mix in some passes on first downs, but LJ does need to step up and put this team on his shoulders.