ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Anyone else love the preseason? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=144753)

Moooo 08-01-2006 09:12 PM

Anyone else love the preseason?

I know this sounds dumb, but I'm an eternal optimist who never talks badly about a player who's good enough to make a team (I'd be an awesome PR director...lol).

I absolutely love watching Preseason games, and hearing about training camp. In some ways I like it more than a regular season game. Before you flame me, hear me out.

You get to see people you don't usually see. I love new faces, even if they're new from last year :) . Its like a different team during preseason, and things happen from the strangest places. I like it when someone you'll never see again makes a diving catch or a huge hit. Even though they may not even make the team, they're playing their guts out, and I like that.

Also, the games don't matter. I get so wrapped up in possible playoff berths, how other teams are doing, records and whatnot. When you get to see a preseason game you can just RELAX. No blood pressure fits, no heartache at the end, and no rough voice on Monday. Its chilled out like a baseball game, yet its still as fun as football (cause it is, duh!)

Finally, its filled with hope and promise. Even when your team does horrible, ou pick it apart play by play and for the most part come away with a sense that it was a good game. About the only performance in the last few years that hasn't been enjoyable is that of the backup QB, and that's only exclusive to KC's backup (I haven't been impressed with their playmaking ability for some time now).

Anyway, that's it. If anyone else shares my sentiment, even for a little bit, please say so. Also, I'm not saying I like it more than the regular season, but at the same time it offers some things that a regular season game can't, a happy-go-lucky attitude and some fresh faces.

Moooo

Deberg_1990 08-01-2006 09:17 PM

Actually im the exact opposite of you. Too much is read in to the pre-season. Havent you guys learned anything from all the Ted Whites and Jessie Haynes? Pre-season means absolutely nothing. Many a team has gone 1-3 or 0-4 in Pre-season and gone on to Super Bowls.

DJay23 08-01-2006 09:21 PM

I hate the preseason. i know it's necessary, but I wish they could trim it down to as few games as possible. About the only thing I use information about the preseason for is to help me make decisions during fantasy drafts, most importantly, who's gotten hurt already.

Boring, boring, boring. I'd rather watch the Royals. Give me the real deal.

Bugeater 08-01-2006 09:23 PM

Preseason games are great. For about five minutes.

OldTownChief 08-01-2006 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990
Many a team has gone 1-3 or 0-4 in Pre-season and gone on to Super Bowls.

Actually I heard it reported on ESPN a few years back when the Chiefs went 0-4 in pre-season that NO team has ever went to the Super Bowl after an 0-4 pre-season.

My reason for loving the pre-season is that it signifies the END of the off-season.

Moooo 08-01-2006 09:30 PM

I don'tthink it is a tell-all of who's gonna be good. But I also don't care. If I was Herm Edwards I may not share this same sentiment.

Even though I know seeing a big play in a preseason game means little, I still like to watch it (and I do watch the games in their entirety). It defies all logic and reasoning, its just fun.

Moooo

CHENZ A! 08-01-2006 09:40 PM

It would not bother me at all if they went to 2 preseason games, and 18 reg. season. But I am really anxious for our upcoming preseason games. I really want to see Pollard and Page, and Croyle and Printers(more so Printers for some reason).

Sure-Oz 08-01-2006 09:42 PM

I HATE preseason, it just makes me even more amped to see a real game. But this year makes it more interesting seeing how Turley, Croyle, Printers and some others will do.

BigRock 08-01-2006 09:46 PM

My favorite part of the preseason is the ridiculous overreactions some people have. A team doesn't look sharp in their first game, or a top defender gets beat, and it's "might as well pack it in, we're going nowhere". It never fails to be hilarious.

Sure-Oz 08-01-2006 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRock
My favorite part of the preseason is the ridiculous overreactions some people have. A team doesn't look sharp in their first game, or a top defender gets beat, and it's "might as well pack it in, we're going nowhere". It never fails to be hilarious.

No that's only if Willie Roaf retires.

Stinger 08-01-2006 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRock

Yep ... The only reason I like preseason is to watch the good meltdown threads that you can't quite get in the offseason.

jidar 08-01-2006 10:26 PM

I like preseason because I'm starved for football and I like to see how the new faces do in a game even if it's meaningless.
That said, it's just preseason. You don't get amped for it like you do the regular season, obviously.

luv 08-01-2006 11:59 PM

I totally agree. During preseason, you get to see some players that you might not see during the the regular season. I think that's the only opportunity has to play QB...lol.

I'm trying to snag tickets to the Chiefs/Rams game on the 26th. I guess I need to start kissing up to dad.

greg63 08-02-2006 12:09 AM

Eh, pre-season is what it is; a necessary evil, IMO. It's a time to further evaluate talent, make roster cuts, and basically something to just get through without getting any of your starters hurt before the regular season opener.

ChiefFan31 08-02-2006 12:12 AM

I like preseason for what it means.

It means and end to a long ass offseason. I am always excited this time of year, and am very interested in the FA's, draft picks, etc.

In theory, I am interested in watching the rookies and long shots trying to make the squad, but in reality, I am bored to death by week 3 and cant wait for the regular season to start.