ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Late night bullshit: The QB position, and our first 3 draft picks. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=257334)

Direckshun 03-14-2012 09:50 PM

Late night bullshit: The QB position, and our first 3 draft picks.

The Chiefs came into this offseason determined to do something different at the QB position. Whether it was to bring in a new QB altogether, trade up and get one early in the NFL Draft, or even if they felt the need to trot out Cassel one more year (which at this point, seems inevitable), to at least give him some competition.

This much openness to change at the QB position leaves only one possible option as unacceptable: going into the 2012 season with a completely unchanged depth chart.

Cassel and Stanzi, the team's current QBs, is that completely unchanged depth chart. Worse yet, it is not yet clear that Stanzi can provide Cassel the competition that Crennel and Pioli are constantly talking about.

As a result, that competition for Cassel needs to come from the NFL Draft.

Fortunately, the NFL Draft has one player where we can find somebody who really can push Cassel. Not merely come on board and provide Cassel a backup -- I'm talking about somebody that can immediately push Cassel for that starting position in an open competition, though I'm relatively certain Cassel would still win out.

Luck and Griffin are out of the question, and Tannehill is currently set to be drastically overdrafted in the draft's first ten picks. (Should Tannehill "fall" to 11, I'm certain this is a pick the Chiefs need to make, but he's probably going much earlier...)

I bring this all up because I've watched some Oklahoma State tape over the past two days to brush up on a few players like Levy Adcock, and I'm telling you right now: if OK State's Brandon Weeden was five years younger, he's a first round pick.

Fortunately for us in kind of a weird way, he isn't. He's soon to be 29. But that should be enough to drop him, his arm, and his talent down into the second round. The Chiefs would be getting "good enough" value by selecting him with their second round pick. And when it comes to quarterbacks, "good enough" value is more than good enough.

Weeden is really talented. He can make all the throws, and boasts a top five arm in this year's draft. He can also read defenses pretty well, though it was in OK State's run-and-shoot system. Nonetheless, if the Chiefs feel that Weeden is the better talent than Cassel in the preseason, Daboll clearly has the flexibility to adjust the offense to bring Weeden along. Weeden is also an incredibly clutch performer who plays his best in the fourth quarter (and overtime). He beat Griffin, Tannehill, and Luck in games this year. He possesses a killer instinct and loves going for the jugular. Being a mere game manager is not in his DNA.

Weeden doesn't provide us a franchise QB for 10 years. He doesn't. But he does provide us the opportunity to get more out of our QB position for the upcoming year while this team continues to assemble and develop its talent every else. It's not incredibly clear what this team could do at the QB position in 2013 and beyond, but this team cannot afford to do the same thing at the QB position and expect different results. Weeden is a shot of cocaine into our QB depth chart. He'll no doubt challenge Stanzi to get better, as well.

If this team wants Weeden, they can probably expect him to fall to their 2nd round pick. (He lasted until the 3rd round pick in the CP Mock, but that's just too much of a risk to wait for someone you want to challenge Cassel.)

That could be an issue for this team's drafting ambitions. It's clear now that Soliai has resigned with Miami, that this team needs NT help in the worst way, and I've been targeting Washington University's NT Alameda Ta'amu with our second round pick.

There's no telling what NT options are available with our third round pick (maybe Josh Chapman will be there, maybe not...). And guys like Jean-Baptiste and Fangupo are purely developmental guys.

So, well. Let's take the plunge with Dontari Poe in the first round. We've got the defensive head coach, talent developer extraordinaire. I know Poe didn't show much in terms of anchoring at Memphis, but with his extraordinary strength and his amazing athleticism, as well as his astonishing size. Put the idea before Crennel -- if the guy signs off, I'm in. If not, I'm comfortable with dropping coin on Casey Hampton when the Steelers inevitably cut him.

That does mean that we've spent our first two picks on nose and QB. The third pick means that we have to go right tackle.

Fortunately, the value in OTs on the draft's second day allows us to do that. Bobbie Massie, Zebrie Sanders, Andrew Datko, Kelechi Osmele, Mitchell Schwartz, Levy Adcock, and Brandon Mosley. Tons of talent that should fall to the Chiefs for a solid right tackle for the next ten years at the right tackle position.

My general idea is:

1st: Poe
2nd: Weeden
3rd: Schwartz

What say ye, tl;dr crowd? :D

Titty Meat 03-14-2012 09:51 PM

That would be a horrible draft. Poe is a bust and Weeden is too old.

tredadda 03-14-2012 09:51 PM

No to Weeden. Guy is too old to be learning the game.

mcaj22 03-14-2012 09:52 PM

no, no and no

Direckshun 03-14-2012 09:57 PM

Keep in mind, if you're saying no to Weeden, you have no other real options to push Cassel.

BossChief 03-14-2012 09:58 PM

Not just no, hell no.

Fritz88 03-14-2012 10:05 PM

My reaction to Weeden in the second

http://i.imgur.com/5iyqW.gif

Blick 03-14-2012 10:06 PM

Would rather just see Stanzi get a legit shot at competing with Cassel.

BigChiefFan 03-14-2012 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 8455163)
Keep in mind, if you're saying no to Weeden, you have no other real options to push Cassel.

Then so be it.

Saul Good 03-14-2012 10:10 PM

So you think Tannehill goes "much earlier" than pick 11?

chiefzilla1501 03-14-2012 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 8455211)

Yes, and even if he goes at #11, I hate the pick. Badly as I want a QB.

Direckshun 03-14-2012 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 8455211)

I do.

wazu 03-14-2012 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blick (Post 8455204)
Would rather just see Stanzi get a legit shot at competing with Cassel.

I'm not really interested in competition that includes Cassel. Just give Stanzi or Tannehill the job. Cassel is a fine back-up, but we know that's his ceiling.

Titty Meat 03-14-2012 10:24 PM

Quote:

How the **** do you come to that idea?

patteeu 03-14-2012 10:28 PM

Quote:

When Manning signs on with the Titans, maybe Hasselbeck becomes expendable. Vince Young isn't on a team. Derrick Anderson, Charlie Batch, David Carr, Kellen Clemons, Rex Grossman, Shaun Hill, Josh Johnson, Jon Kitna, Matt Leinart, Brady Quinn, and several others are also out there. None of them are QBoTF, and some of them might be absolute junk, but if you can't find competition for Matt Cassel in that pile, Matt Cassel isn't as bad as everyone says he is.