ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   All alex all the time (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=307712)

DaneMcCloud 05-13-2017 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 12871103)
Most QBs don't get drafted by good teams in the first round, which is the beauty of Mahomes' situation. I've said it many times, if you want a young QB to succeed in this league, you'd better have the team around him to allow that. No QB can carry a team by himself in his first couple of years, if ever.

Mahomes gets to step on the field in 2018 (I firmly believe) with almost the entire stable of weapons currently on offense. The entire OL returns, and they are a solid bunch in pass pro. He also gets what should be one of the top 5-10 defenses in the league to lean on. That doesn't even include what they add next offseason.

The Favre/Rodgers scenario has no merit in this circumstance. Favre was a first ballot HOF QB who the fans loved more than probably any player in their franchise history at the time. None of those things can be said for Alex Smith. He's 33 years old, so if they wanted him to be playing for multiple years going forward, they wouldn't trade up and take Mahomes in the top 10 this year. They want to move on from the main thing that is holding them back, a lack of explosiveness in the passing game.

I thoroughly disagree.

The Chiefs aren't in a rush to replace a QB that's won 12 games a year for the past two years, while suffering catastrophic injuries, with a 22 year old that hasn't taken first team snaps.

DaneMcCloud 05-13-2017 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 12871135)
I will also note that I do think Alex will open up his aggressiveness more than ever this year. He would be a pure moron not to, as the writing is on the wall.

This is likely his last chance to win with a contending team and if he doesn't let his balls hang a little more, he won't even start by December because this team won't be heading for the playoffs.

Complete rubbish.

pugsnotdrugs19 05-13-2017 02:04 PM

In this video, the night PM2 was drafted, you've got Gruden saying that Reid can bring Mahomes out to KC for a year, train him, then let him loose to compete with Derek Carr and the Raiders.

Eat your heart out, Tigger.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/jTfSx_ZvXLI?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Baby Lee 05-13-2017 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 12871151)
Lets see... so he gets a pass for being complete dog shit in the first 3 quarters of the Chargers and Broncos games because he played well in the fourth? I see, I see.....

Great QBs don't need to make those comebacks because they don't wait until the fourth f**king quarter to drop their balls loose.

The Pittsburgh game was the same f**king thing, but that time he wasn't able to pull off his fourth quarter bullshit. Its great that he played well in the 4th, yeah, but if you suck ass for the first three, it really doesn't matter.

It's like the last SB didn't even happen.

I'm not saying that Alex is Brady, but for the first 3 quarters, that was EVERYTHING you guys complain about Alex about from the Pats.

And even in the comeback, it was JUST AS MUCH the defense tightening [as opposed to being 'out of gas' like Alex somehow makes his own D], and the receivers making amazing plays, as it was Brady.

pugsnotdrugs19 05-13-2017 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 12871165)
It's like the last SB didn't even happen.

I'm not saying that Alex is Brady, but for the first 3 quarters, that was EVERYTHING you guys complain about Alex about from the Pats.

Tom Brady didn't make a habit out of that. He did it once. Also, it wasn't because he was being a pussy and wouldn't throw the ball down field or in tight windows.

With Alex, he just waited to nut up until he absolutely had to. Makes no sense.

Halfcan 05-13-2017 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TigerUppercut (Post 12871143)
QBR 50-> 56-> 61-> 63.4 (ranked 11th in the league)
Completion % : 60 -> 65 -> 65 -> 67
Total Td's: 19 -> 22 -> 20

He's improving and the numbers show it. And he did so the past 2 years playing against a top 5 strength of schedule

We KNOW what Alex did since we have watched every snap he has taken in red. I am not sure why you have to jump to his defense and keep trying to make him out to be Joe Montana. We get it...You LOVE Alex, you LOVE his timid ultra conservative style and LOVE that he always gets credit for wins in which he barely breaks 200 yards and throws zero TD's.

I hope he can be a mentor and pass the torch to a much younger and talented player. That will be his legacy from here on.

Baby Lee 05-13-2017 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 12871168)
Tom Brady didn't make a habit out of that. He did it once. Also, it wasn't because he was being a pussy and wouldn't throw the ball down field or in tight windows.

With Alex, he just waited to nut up until he absolutely had to. Makes no sense.

I get it, I get it. The Chiefs have somehow always had the worst QBs in the history of the league, and that's the only thing keeping them from winning every SB in history.

Alex isn't immune from criticism, but I still contend that too many people judge his every false move solely against the weekly ESPN Top 10 highlight reel from the entire league.

Oh, Smith missed an open receiver. Oooooh, did you see that one good pass Dalton/Luck/Brees/Stafford made in a blowout loss?!?!?!

I'm ready for Mahomes to be ready, but if we cut Alex in the midst of continued TEAM success, particularly if Mahomes struggles AT ALL, we will be the new 49ers in the eyes of the entire league, with all that comes with it.

pugsnotdrugs19 05-13-2017 02:14 PM

I can't believe there are fans of this team that would rather them continue to be held back by average QB play then to take a chance and maybe actually go deep into the playoffs.

If only regular season wins meant jack shit in the grand scheme of things. Winning 9-12 games and being one and done every year is good enough for some of you. That has been the Chiefs way for decades now. Hasn't gotten them a Super Bowl since 1970.

But by all means, please, let Alex Smith run this offense in 2018. We'll wrap up another 5 seed as Oakland takes over the division. Woo!

Easy 6 05-13-2017 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 12871163)
In this video, the night PM2 was drafted, you've got Gruden saying that Reid can bring Mahomes out to KC for a year, train him, then let him loose to compete with Derek Carr and the Raiders.

Eat your heart out, Tigger.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/jTfSx_ZvXLI?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Yeah, gonna go with Chuckie on this one

People can say what they want about him... but he knows Andy Reid, he knows the WCO inside and out, and he was there when a very similar raw prospect was brought into Green Bay

2 camps + 2 offseasons + 2 preseasons = no reason why Mahomes cant be ready in 2018

pugsnotdrugs19 05-13-2017 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 12871177)
Yeah, gonna go with Chuckie on this one

People can say what they want about him... but he knows Andy Reid, he knows the WCO inside and out, and he was there when a very similar raw prospect was brought into Green Bay

2 camps + 2 offseasons + 2 preseasons = no reason why Mahomes cant be ready in 2018

That is so much time, so much opportunity to prepare.

Anyone who thinks Smith is here as the starter in 2018 is clinging to pure hope and fantasy.

DaneMcCloud 05-13-2017 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 12871172)
I can't believe there are fans of this team that would rather them continue to be held back by average QB play then to take a chance and maybe actually go deep into the playoffs.

If only regular season wins meant jack shit in the grand scheme of things. Winning 9-12 games and being one and done every year is good enough for some of you. That has been the Chiefs way for decades now. Hasn't gotten them a Super Bowl since 1970.

But by all means, please, let Alex Smith run this offense in 2018. We'll wrap up another 5 seed as Oakland takes over the division. Woo!

This is ****ing complete bullshit from someone younger than Mahomes.

:facepalm:

It's REALISTIC to assume that Alex Smith will be a Chief in 2018 because Mahomes is young and may not be ready to assume the mantle at the beginning of 2018. Clark Hunt, Andy Reid and John Dorsey aren't going to sacrifice wins over cap space, especially when, at this point in time, there's no one else on the roster with NFL game experience.

It has everything to do with reason and nothing to do with want.

RunKC 05-13-2017 03:43 PM

Dane,

What if Mahomes looks really good in preseason and camp? I would think if that happens they would be more inclined to roll with him in 2018.

TigeRRUppeRRcut 05-13-2017 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12871247)
This is ****ing complete bullshit from someone younger than Mahomes.

:facepalm:

It's REALISTIC to assume that Alex Smith will be a Chief in 2018 because Mahomes is young and may not be ready to assume the mantle at the beginning of 2018. Clark Hunt, Andy Reid and John Dorsey aren't going to sacrifice wins over cap space, especially when, at this point in time, there's no one else on the roster with NFL game experience.

It has everything to do with reason and nothing to do with want.

You're crushing his dream of winning the bet he has with me where I said Smith will be on the roster in 2018 and more likely than not, the starter after training camp

TigeRRUppeRRcut 05-13-2017 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 12871250)
Dane,

What if Mahomes looks really good in preseason and camp? I would think if that happens they would be more inclined to roll with him in 2018.

Under WHAT circumstance ? If Mahomes looks great in next year's camp, that still doesn't mean he's going to translate when he plays on the big stage. Also, if Smith builds on his progress as a Chief and has a 4,000 yard season, 25 total td season with a strong run in the playoffs there is no way you can pass on restructuring him so he can be a mentor for Mahomes thru another season. 2 full years of film study with the 4th winningest QB over the last 6 seasons is something you just don't pass on. Unless you want to go from contender to 7 win season despite having a talented "win now" roster.

TigeRRUppeRRcut 05-13-2017 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 12871124)
For those who keep pointing to the Rodgers/Favre thing.... what proof do you have that Rodgers wouldn't have been just as good if he started in his 2nd year? I mean, really?

It isn't his fault that he had an elite QB in front of him.

Because all the pundits speak to how those years on the bench gave him time to absorb the playbook, mature as an individual, and most importantly work on his throwing mechanics. That is stuff you just don't learn in 1 season.