ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Home and Auto -- My car's timing chain snapped two weeks ago (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=274446)

Simply Red 07-11-2013 12:46 AM

-- My car's timing chain snapped two weeks ago

The Audi's timing chain went about two weeks ago - Oddly it happened after the dealer had it (the next morning from getting it back, actually) - It really doesn't matter - you have no legs vs. a dealer and besides they'd have to dissect the engine to access that area. So in this case I actually do think it was just a mere coincidence.

Anyhow; ?? I'm wondering if anyone has recovered a vehicle from this timing chain issue ?? - again it's an 06 Audi A4 3.2

I bought a really fast vehicle & all - but black'ey can't be buried yet.

anyone else gone through this? I forget the details regarding the engine's structural assembly. There are two types - one where you're basically in a repairable situation or two - you're ****ed.

Help

Please....

Thig Lyfe 07-11-2013 12:47 AM

What's a timing chain? I ride the bus and train.

Thig Lyfe 07-11-2013 12:47 AM

I'm a poet and did NOT know it

Simply Red 07-11-2013 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thig Lyfe (Post 9804681)
I'm a poet and did NOT know it

I love the thiggy refresher - one to the two the three the fo...

Simply Red 07-11-2013 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thig Lyfe (Post 9804680)
What's a timing chain? I ride the bus and train.

it times -----

......................stuff.

Simply Red 07-11-2013 12:54 AM

the way I understand it is - it's like a bike-chain that snakes throughout the center of the motor and it's tension mends (for lack of a better word) the engine's components together - when it snaps - the engine inners under fold - pardon my n00b terminology, I'm just doing the best I can w/ the lingo. Jason Sauto should show up soon, i'm hoping.

Eureka 07-11-2013 01:11 AM

My timing belt broke on my 3.0 toyota truck while driving down the hwy. Put a new one on and she's as good as new. I think the two motors you are talking about are interface and non interface. Are you sure the the chain is broken? They're known to stretch. Aren't there some good Audi forums on the net?

Simply Red 07-11-2013 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eureka (Post 9804694)
My timing belt broke on my 3.0 toyota truck while driving down the hwy. Put a new one on and she's as good as new. I think the two motors you are talking about are interface and non interface. Are you sure the the chain is broken? They're known to stretch. Aren't there some good Audi forums on the net?

yeah - in all honesty there are some good Audi Forums, it's broke - or off it's track, I was told by the dealer that I needed a new engine - somehow - i'm not buying that. but again, I am really just uncertain.

Simply Red 07-11-2013 01:18 AM

on my last service receipt/work order it says something like - "Timing Chain - Engine repair, start with motor-mounts" ..or something like that as if to say 'it's a mission'

TimeForWasp 07-11-2013 01:19 AM

On some engines, if it breaks, you can tear up valves and push rods. I think that is on engines with overhead cams.

Simply Red 07-11-2013 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsNow (Post 9804698)
On some engines, if it breaks, you can tear up valves and push rods. I think that is on engines with overhead cams.

oh ok, does mine have DOHC?

Simply Red 07-11-2013 01:21 AM

can you look? I'm tired..

TimeForWasp 07-11-2013 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 9804702)
can you look? I'm tired..

I'm a novice. It's time for Jasonsauto to chime in.

Eureka 07-11-2013 01:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 9804701)
oh ok, does mine have DOHC?

I hate to say it but if you're asking questions like this on CP then unfortunately you're prob going to just have to bend over and let the dealership slide blackey inside ya.

TimeForWasp 07-11-2013 01:26 AM

I had a VW rabbit that that happened to though. That is the only reason I knew that.