ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   You gotta love Greg Anderson (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=144335)

BIG_DADDY 07-26-2006 03:12 PM

You gotta love Greg Anderson

Out of this whole steroid/MLB mess he is one of the very few I have respect for at this point. Tell the Grand Jury to go **** themselves Greg.

http://sports.iwon.com/news/07262006...=home&SEC=news

Bonds' Trainer Set to Appear Before Grand Jury, But Not Expected to Talk
Jul 26, 3:36 PM (ET) Email this Story

By PAUL ELIAS and DAVID KRAVETS
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - Lawyers for Barry Bonds' personal trainer say he'd rather go back to prison for a third time than take part in the grand jury investigation of his childhood friend for tax evasion and perjury.

Fresh off a 15-day jail term for refusing to cooperate in an earlier phase of the probe, Greg Anderson is expected to be called Thursday before a new grand jury investigating the San Francisco Giants slugger. But the trainer is expected to renew his vow of silence.

"He's resigned to do whatever it takes to maintain his integrity," said Paula Canny, an attorney and close friend of Anderson.

Anderson was released from prison last week on the same day prosecutors announced a grand jury investigating Bonds had expired without issuing an indictment. The new grand jury quickly was assembled, and Anderson received what was believed to be the first subpoena - ordering him to appear before the panel on Thursday.

If he again refuses to testify, he'll be hauled in front of a federal judge who will demand to know why he should be excused from testifying to a grand jury, a requirement even the president of the United States has to honor.

Since Anderson's legal arguments remain largely the same, the judge likely will send the trainer back to prison. It would be his third trip to a federal lockup in less than a year; Anderson served three months after pleading guilty to steroid distribution and money laundering stemming from the government's investigation of the Bay Area lab that allegedly supplied Bonds and other elite athletes with performance-enhancing drugs.

Authorities are investigating whether Bonds lied under oath when he told an earlier grand jury he didn't know whether the substances given to him by Anderson were steroids. The probe also reportedly is focused on whether Bonds paid taxes on the sale of hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of sports memorabilia.

Bonds' attorney, Michael Rains, says his client is guilty of nothing more than being famous.

"They're harassing Greg Anderson to get to Barry," Rains said.

Some legal experts see Anderson as the key to proving the perjury allegations, since Bonds reportedly testified the trainer gave him two substances that fit the description of "the cream" and "the clear" - two performance-enhancing drugs linked to the Bay Area Laboratory Co-Operative.

In 2003, Bonds reportedly testified to the grand jury investigating BALCO that he believed the substances were flaxseed oil and arthritis balm, not steroids.

Anderson also could offer insight into the doping calendars bearing Bonds' name that were seized when federal agents raided Anderson's house, according to court papers connected to the steroids probe.

But Anderson's lawyers say he shouldn't have to testify because of the numerous leaks of secret grand jury testimony to the San Francisco Chronicle over the course of the four-year investigation. Chronicle reporters Lance Williams and Mark Fainaru-Wada have written a book based largely on leaked testimony.

"The gross, callous and destructive breaches of grand jury secrecy in this case create ample just cause for Mr. Anderson's refusal to testify," said one of Anderson's attorneys, Mark Geragos.

His lawyers also say the agreement he made with prosecutors to plead guilty last year in the BALCO case stipulated he wouldn't have to cooperate in the investigation.

"The government is violating the terms of the plea bargain," Canny said.

Anderson also claims he should not have to testify because he was the target of an illegal wiretap.

The new grand jury ordering Anderson's testimony can stay in session for as long as 18 months. By law, an intransigent Anderson can be locked up for the grand jury's full term, though a judge can free him sooner if convinced Anderson never will talk.

BIG_DADDY 07-26-2006 03:59 PM

Come on guys I mean you may not agree with how he got here but he sure has handled it better than the rest of these clowns.

hawkchief 07-26-2006 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG_DADDY
Come on guys I mean you may not agree with how he got here but he sure has handled it better than the rest of these clowns.

Not sure how you consider keeping mum so Bonds can skate, hiding the truth and fuc&ing with our legal system is a way of "handling it well". Let's see how long he lasts in jail when the big boys start ripping him a new one nightly. I suspect Bonds has promised him a boatload of $$ when he gets out, to be a prison biotch for a couple of years.

burt 07-26-2006 04:37 PM

Quote:

He just learned from Clinton's "It depends on what your definition of 'is' is...."

BIG_DADDY 07-26-2006 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hawkchief
Not sure how you consider keeping mum so Bonds can skate, hiding the truth and fuc&ing with our legal system is a way of "handling it well". Let's see how long he lasts in jail when the big boys start ripping him a new one nightly. I suspect Bonds has promised him a boatload of $$ when he gets out, to be a prison biotch for a couple of years.

1. The government shouldn't even be involved in sports period. For some reason we are growing used to a HUGE government that wants to micrmanage the entire population.

2. We are already raising a country full of snitches. If snitching is ****ing up the legal system then so be it. Besides this guy has no reason to believe anything coming from the grand jury as they have done nothing but lie to the guy right from the start.

3. The tax evasion charge is complete BS.

This case has become so ridiculous that it's becoming embarrassment at this point. They have spent a fortune and accomplished jack shit. The government should stick to running the country.

BIG_DADDY 07-26-2006 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dale Mercer
He just learned from Clinton's "It depends on what your definition of 'is' is...."

Better yet he is basically just telling them to **** off at this point. Hell I would send him a check myself if he would just tell them their a bunch of losers wasting taxpayers money with this witch hunt.

hawkchief 07-26-2006 04:53 PM

Quote:

1. The government shouldn't even be involved in sports period. For some reason we are growing used to a HUGE government that wants to micrmanage the entire population.

2. We are already raising a country full of snitches. If snitching is ****ing up the legal system then so be it. Besides this guy has no reason to believe anything coming from the grand jury as they have done nothing but lie to the guy right from the start.

3. The tax evasion charge is complete BS.

This case has become so ridiculous that it's becoming embarrassment at this point. They have spent a fortune and accomplished jack shit. The government should stick to running the country.

When a bunch of spoiled millionaire owners and player agents decide to turn a sport (that used to be our national pastime) into a corrupt, deceitful business that turns its head to, and essentially encourages, the usage of illegal, banned substances whose usage in turn encourages American youth to use steroids, all for the sake of $$$, IMO our government should get involved - and in a hurry.

Since when did telling the truth regarding whether or not you supplied illegal, banned substances to someone come to be considered "snitching".

Bonds is a lying cheat and IMO he deserves whatever he gets. Sadly, the owners and agents that let this stuff go on for far too long will probably walk, unscathed.

BIG_DADDY 07-26-2006 04:55 PM

Quote:

When a bunch of spoiled millionaire owners and player agents decide to turn a sport (that used to be our national pastime) into a corrupt, deceitful business that turns its head to and essentially encourages, the usage of illegal, banned substances whose usage in turn encourages American youth to use steroids, all for the sake of $$$, IMO our government should get involved - and in a hurry.

Since when did telling the truth regarding whether or not you supplied illegal, banned substances to someone is not "snitching".

Bonds is a lying cheat and IMO he deserves whatever he gets. Sadly, the owners and agents that let this stuff go on for far too long will probably walk, unscathed.

You can't be serious. WOW, I'll just leave it at that.

burt 07-26-2006 05:14 PM

Quote:

You can't be serious. WOW, I'll just leave it at that.

Bonds may or may not be a steriod freak....but he is being persued from any angle.....because people don't like him. He may or may not have lied....but he is being abused because people don't like him. Okay...let's go after McGuire, Sossa...and countless others....no, because people don't like Bonds. If they can't get him one way, they are gonna find another.

BIG_DADDY 07-26-2006 05:16 PM

Quote:

Bonds may or may not be a steriod freak....but he is beint persued from any angle.....because people don't like him. He may or may not have lied....but he is being abused because people don't like him. Okay...let's go after McGuire, Sossa...and countless others....no, because people don't like Bonds. If they can't get him one way, they are gonna find another.

A witch hunt. I completely agree.

teedubya 07-26-2006 05:21 PM

Why dont they go after Rafeal Palmeiro? He blatantly DENIED allegations of doing steroids... what did he test positive for?

What has Bonds tested positive for? Nothing.

burt 07-26-2006 05:24 PM

Quote:

When a bunch of spoiled millionaire owners and player agents decide to turn a sport (that used to be our national pastime) into a corrupt, deceitful business that turns its head to, and essentially encourages, the usage of illegal, banned substances whose usage in turn encourages American youth to use steroids, all for the sake of $$$, IMO our government should get involved - and in a hurry.

Yeah, it's ALL Bonds' fault...let's persecute him!!! It's so many peoples fault that persecuting Bonds is assinine. Persecute Steinbrenner...A-rod...Sossa......McGuire..... No we will persecute Bonds...not because he did steriods like many....not because he lied....because he's an asshole.

Quote:

Since when did telling the truth regarding whether or not you supplied illegal, banned substances to someone come to be considered "snitching".

I pea the fifth...

Quote:

Sossa .....McGuire...Palmero..... nah, lets go after the unsociable asshole....... Hell, that will cure baseball and "the American Pastime".

hawkchief 07-26-2006 05:48 PM

Quote:

Yeah, it's ALL Bonds' fault...let's persecute him!!! It's so many peoples fault that persecuting Bonds is assinine. Persecute Steinbrenner...A-rod...Sossa......McGuire..... No we will persecute Bonds...not because he did steriods like many....not because he lied....because he's an asshole.

I pea the fifth...

Sossa .....McGuire...Palmero..... nah, lets go after the unsociable asshole....... Hell, that will cure baseball and "the American Pastime".

If you read my post, in no way did I say Bonds is totally to blame for the entire steroid/growth hormone debacle. In fact, I did say that the owners and agents are very complicit in the whole thing as well. It so happens that Bonds is the most visible, has fuc&ed up the record books the most, and unlike the others, is still playing. He has also been foolsih enough think and act as if he is above the law, and when dealing with a grand jury, that is just plain ignorant.

IYRC I responded to an earlier post that took issue with the governments' involvement, not who should be their focus. Sure, they should look at many other players besides Bonds and owners and the MLB Players Union for that matter. However, that said, I have no sympathy for Bonds or Anderson, and I hope they go after them with both barrels.

BIG_DADDY 07-26-2006 06:07 PM

Quote:

If you read my post, in no way did I say Bonds is totally to blame for the entire steroid/growth hormone debacle. In fact, I did say that the owners and agents are very complicit in the whole thing as well. It so happens that Bonds is the most visible, has fuc&ed up the record books the most, and unlike the others, is still playing. He has also been foolsih enough think and act as if he is above the law, and when dealing with a grand jury, that is just plain ignorant.

IYRC I responded to an earlier post that took issue with the governments' involvement, not who should be their focus. Sure, they should look at many other players besides Bonds and owners and the MLB Players Union for that matter. However, that said, I have no sympathy for Bonds or Anderson, and I hope they go after them with both barrels.

Good grief dude, you're really scary. You want to government to chase a bunch of ahtletes then you pay for it. Whe the president of our country addresses making sports all fairsies in the state of the union address when we are going to war we have a serious problem. You are obviously one of those HUGE government guys that wants them involved in micromanaging every facet of all of our lives. Of course this effect trickles down. They are now testing high school kids. I don't want to pay for that shit.

As far as the grand jury goes **** them too. He has every right not to answer a god damn thing as he was involved. Their never going to convict Bonds of shit. Hell his own attorney says they couldn't convict a ham samich. They haven't changed sports much either. They have also spent a bizzillion dollars for these remarkable accomplishments. Athletes are currently taking and always going to take whatever supplement they think they can get by with that will increase performance. That isn't ever going to change. If you think athletes are not using in all sports right now then you don't have the brains god gave grapes. All of this has changed nothing but the way the athlete will approach it now.

mikey23545 07-26-2006 06:23 PM

Quote:

"He's resigned to do whatever it takes to maintain his integrity," said Paula Canny, an attorney and close friend of Anderson.

Delicious irony!