ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Mount Rushmore (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=265750)

-King- 10-26-2012 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaKCMan AP (Post 9052491)

I was thinking that too. I don't even think it's in the top 10.

Bwana 10-26-2012 06:32 PM

I've been to "the rock" several times as well. If you haven't been there, it's worth the trip.

whoman69 10-26-2012 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9052305)
Did they ever finish the Crazy Horse monument?

They will never finish it.

hometeam 10-26-2012 07:04 PM

Completely agree with Penn and Teller.

Simply Red 10-26-2012 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hometeam (Post 9052847)
Completely agree with Penn and Teller.

GREAT! Now If only i could find my Whoop Da' it is gif!!

Miles 10-26-2012 08:02 PM

I recall it being fairly underwhelming as a kid. Recall there being fudge.

Simply Red 10-26-2012 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9052722)
Swearing and political shit in this video. Don't click and complain:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/L_rDrain_Zg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

negative rape rep.

Frazod 10-26-2012 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9052722)
Swearing and political shit in this video. Don't click and complain:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/L_rDrain_Zg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I like Penn and Teller, and many of their shows are good and make excellent points, but this one is, well, bullshit. I quite watching fairly early on. It mainly seems like Penn doesn't have much use for the fly-over states, and can't understand why anybody would want to go to "bum-**** South Dakota." Apparently he doesn't appreciate any sort of beauty that can't give him a lap dance and a hummer. I found that entire argument to be very offensive.

Oh, and **** THE SIOUX and their "sacred lands" shit. They kicked the Cheyenne out of the Black Hills 80 years before we kicked them out of the Black Hills, and you don't hear the Cheyenne crying about it. I understand the Black Hills are sacred to them. They're sacred to me, too. Did the government break a treaty to take the lands? Yep. Guess what - that's what governments do, all over the world. Don't want your shit taken? Don't lose. Thank you for playing and now go **** yourself.

SDChief 10-26-2012 09:52 PM

live right by it... ride by it all summer on the bikes :)

bandwagonjumper 10-27-2012 03:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 9052739)
I was thinking that too. I don't even think it's in the top 10.

Maybe for an american. As a foreigner I can't think of many more iconic monuments. White House, Statue of Liberty, Golden Gate Bridge?

tmax63 10-27-2012 08:29 AM

I and momma went to the Black Hills about 2 months ago. Rushmore was underwhelming but went back for the lighting ceremony and that was pretty cool.
The cool thing about Crazy Horse is that it is totally privately funded. Not 1 taxpayer dollar has been spent on it. The guy who was asked to do the carving has died but his sons and daughters have continued on with it. Also the scale of it compared to Rushmore is wild. Rushmore will fit in Crazy Horse's hair when it's done.

Monty 10-27-2012 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 9053051)
I like Penn and Teller, and many of their shows are good and make excellent points, but this one is, well, bullshit. I quite watching fairly early on. It mainly seems like Penn doesn't have much use for the fly-over states, and can't understand why anybody would want to go to "bum-**** South Dakota." Apparently he doesn't appreciate any sort of beauty that can't give him a lap dance and a hummer. I found that entire argument to be very offensive.

Oh, and **** THE SIOUX and their "sacred lands" shit. They kicked the Cheyenne out of the Black Hills 80 years before we kicked them out of the Black Hills, and you don't hear the Cheyenne crying about it. I understand the Black Hills are sacred to them. They're sacred to me, too. Did the government break a treaty to take the lands? Yep. Guess what - that's what governments do, all over the world. Don't want your shit taken? Don't lose. Thank you for playing and now go **** yourself.

This is my take as well, but Frazod's narrative is much better. I was born in the Black Hills, my family is from there and there is so much family history is there. We are going back for 2 weeks next summer and can't wait to be home again. For those that are interested, there are other places that are test other than Mt. Rushmore and Crazy Horse. Devil's Tower has always been a favorite. Sure, you may say there's nothing out there, so if that's the case, then just keep on believing that. That allows those of us who appreciate the land a better opportunity to enjoy the area without the crowds.

whoman69 10-27-2012 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmax63 (Post 9053372)
I and momma went to the Black Hills about 2 months ago. Rushmore was underwhelming but went back for the lighting ceremony and that was pretty cool.
The cool thing about Crazy Horse is that it is totally privately funded. Not 1 taxpayer dollar has been spent on it. The guy who was asked to do the carving has died but his sons and daughters have continued on with it. Also the scale of it compared to Rushmore is wild. Rushmore will fit in Crazy Horse's hair when it's done.

The problem with that is they never have enough money to really do any construction on the place. 64 years in and they are only about 15% done.

The lighting ceremony is pretty cool. I thoroughly enjoyed Rushmore but a lot of the places around it are a money suck. I got shy at the lighting ceremony and didn't go down when they asked for vets.

Monty 10-27-2012 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whoman69 (Post 9053777)
The problem with that is they never have enough money to really do any construction on the place. 64 years in and they are only about 15% done.

The lighting ceremony is pretty cool. I thoroughly enjoyed Rushmore but a lot of the places around it are a money suck. I got shy at the lighting ceremony and didn't go down when they asked for vets.

The reason why there is no money is that they refuse any government aid. While good in premise, it is not the only reason that the carving is not done. The money has been offered privately, but the family has chosen to milk this thing out vs finish it. I know that this isn't the widely held opinion, but I find it ironic that the premise is to not rely on gubment money, but instead on private funds to maintain their family.

Also, if you're ever in Hill City, have a prime rib at the Alpine Inn.

Aries Walker 10-27-2012 01:05 PM

I'm with Penn and Teller, too. Having had our ancestors conquer an area is one thing; continuing to profit off of blasting the faces of our leaders into their holy land is another, especially since this isn't another country; these are Americans. When I become President, I'll use the profits from Mt. Rushmore tourism to create college scholarships and social programs for the members of the Lakota Sioux tribe. It's only fair.