ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Dwayne Johnson to Play Black Adam in New Line’s ‘Shazam (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=286199)

Tribal Warfare 09-03-2014 10:44 PM

Dwayne Johnson to Play Black Adam in New Line’s ‘Shazam

Though Dwayne Johnson hasn’t been shy about teasing his potential involvement in New Line Cinema’s “Shazam” movie, the superhero comicbook pic now looks closer to achieving lift-off.

Sources tell Variety that Darren Lemke is set to write the script with Johnson attached to star. Johnson will play Black Adam, who in recent issues of the DC comicbook, is more of an anti-hero trying to clear his name than a villain.

Johnson and Hiram Garcia are also producing.

“We Love Dwayne and have had nothing but success with him over the years,” said Toby Emmerich, President and COO of New Line. “When I look at Dwayne both off screen and on screen, he is such a larger than life character and it just made perfect sense to me that we put him in a DC comic movie. You look at these comic book characters and they have this certain swag and charisma that Dwayne carries with him where ever he is so that’s why this always made sense.”

Johnson confirmed the casting this morning by tweeting out which character he would be playing in the film.

Johnson has been teasing the idea of playing Shazam or Black Adam for sometime now on his social media sites, and some thought Warners might introduce him as Shazam at this year’s Comic-Con in San Diego. During the promotion for “Hercules,” it still wasn’t clear which character he would play.

Fans of the comics and Johnson have been waiting for this for sometime and following the reactions on twitter it looks like this is a perfect match for DC comics and Johnson’s career. It also gives Johnson a chance to play more of the anti-hero/villain instead of the straight up action hero his fans know him for.

Shazam, aka Captain Marvel, has an alter ego Billy Batson, who can transform into superhero form by saying the words “Shazam,” and then develops the powers of six mythological gods.

In the last decade, Shazam has regularly appeared in “Justice League of America” comics as well as Frank Miller’s “Batman” comics.

No production date has been set, as Lemke has just been brought on to write. But once a script is delivered, DC is likely to move fast to get the film quickly up and running .

Lemke most recently penned the “Goosebumps” script for Sony; his past credits include DreamWorks Animation’s “Turbo” and “Jack the Giant Slayer.” He is repped by UTA.

The comicbook pic could grow into a series of films for Johnson, who is continuing to add more franchises to his resume.

He already has “The Fast and Furious” and “G.I. Joe” films keeping him busy with “Fast and Furious 7″ bowing next April and “G.I. Joe 3″ in 2016.

Rasputin 09-03-2014 11:06 PM

I didn't even know Dwayne Johnson was black? That is going be some great acting for him to pull that act off.

OldSchool 09-03-2014 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Tattoo (Post 10877914)
I didn't even know Dwayne Johnson was black? That is going be some great acting for him to pull that act off.

The Rock is part black, part pacific islander I think. Also, Black Adam isn't black.

http://www.gamerevolution.com/images...-injustice.jpg

Tribal Warfare 09-03-2014 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldSchool (Post 10877921)
The Rock is part black, part pacific islander I think. Also, Black Adam isn't black.

Samoan and Black

ThaVirus 09-04-2014 09:22 AM

Samoans are considered Pacific Islanders..

I think Black Adam is Egyptian or some shit. Maybe Middle Eastern, idk. He's not really "white" though..

keg in kc 09-04-2014 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Tattoo (Post 10877914)

His dad was black, google Rocky Johnson.

Tribal Warfare 09-04-2014 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 10878375)
Samoans are considered Pacific Islanders..

I think Black Adam is Egyptian or some shit. Maybe Middle Eastern, idk. He's not really "white" though..

So they are considered Samoan as a specific

ThaVirus 09-04-2014 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 10878562)
So they are considered Samoan as a specific

Right. My bad.

When I initially read your post I assumed you were trying to correct the guy but after re-reading it I see you were just elaborating. "Pacific Islander" is a very broad umbrella.

Frosty 09-04-2014 11:09 AM

I never really read DC. Isn't Shazam basically a low rent Superman?

Rausch 09-04-2014 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 10878601)
I never really read DC. Isn't Shazam basically a low rent Superman?

Yes.

Only based (loosely) on the the idea of the Islamic Djinn...

ThaVirus 09-04-2014 02:30 PM

I like that he's pretty ruthless. As far as power is concerned, he's sort of similar to a Superman that doesn't hold back.

I actually read a comic once where he was essentially taking on the entire Justice League by himself. I can't remember the name, though..

Deberg_1990 09-04-2014 03:34 PM

Sounds like sh*t to be honest.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 09-04-2014 04:33 PM

Shaq was better

007 09-04-2014 04:35 PM

Ahh Saturday mornings LMAO

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/aoOU1YQ_xkQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

GordonGekko 09-04-2014 05:57 PM

The Rock is all over the place. He never found his "terminator" type role.