ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Late night bullshit: Safety depth. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=257804)

Direckshun 03-26-2012 10:46 PM

Late night bullshit: Safety depth.

This team needs a lot of different pieces in the draft, but one place that it's particularly hurting is for depth behind Eric Berry and Kendrick Lewis. My desire for Mark Barron in the draft notwithstanding, this is a damn good starting safety combo, but safety is always an injury prone position.

Add into that the prevalence of the Chiefs' subpackages, and extra safeties are necessary.

The backup safety position on this team is atrocious. Donald Washington and Rashard Langford will stay alive on this roster only by blowing shit up on special teams, and not by staying on the field during defensive snaps.

Jon McGraw is a serviceable guy because of his decent-enough instincts, but only at the less-physical position of free safety, and only in bits and pieces. He remains incredibly popular in the locker room, and I'm willing to accept that.

Now, safety is one of the weakest positions in this draft, but let's use this thread as an opportunity to talk about some of our favorite mid-to-late round safety prospects, since we can expect the Chiefs to pick up at least one in the draft.

J Diddy 03-26-2012 10:48 PM

I thought McGraw was gone

Direckshun 03-26-2012 10:56 PM

Three favorites of mine at SS in case Berry goes down:

SS Winston Guy, Jr., Kentucky -- super productive, good sized safety with limited athleticism. great instincts in diagnosing the play, has a rare nose for the ball in Kuechly-like fashion. may not even get drafted due to his awkward athleticism, but I think he could be a late round steal.

SS Tony Dye, UCLA -- injury-laden career nonetheless gave way to some brilliant, hard hat play. he is a safety with limited athleticism, but loves mixing it up in the box. is a natural read-and-reacter in the Romeo Crennel mode. would be a great run defender a la Kurt Coleman

Sean Richardson, Vanderbilt -- Chiefs were scoping out Vanderbilt not too long ago, Richardson is a 220-lb behemoth built for punishing in the box, but is a liability in coverage. I love how Richardson hits, though -- he has a Pollard-propensity to sacrifice the safe tackle for the big hit

mcaj22 03-26-2012 11:11 PM

as of right now we dont even have McGraw under contract that's how bad our safety depth is

BossChief 03-26-2012 11:13 PM

I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure McGraw and Langford are both gone.

We didn't tender Langford and JMs contract ran out.

If we re-sign either guy, we might lose a pretty high comp pick next year from losing Carr.

mcaj22 03-26-2012 11:14 PM

they have got to be gearing up to draft CBs and Safeties as well as bringing in any and every undrafted safety into camp they can get their hands on

RealSNR 03-26-2012 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 8495837)
If we re-sign either guy, we might lose a pretty high comp pick next year from losing Carr.

Wait how does that work? I thought comp picks were comp picks for specific players? As in you lose one highly-valued player, you get a pick. Period. If it works like you're saying why don't we run the risk of missing out on that pick by signing Routt and company?

Psyko Tek 03-26-2012 11:20 PM

calm down we still have sabby, don't we?

the matt cassell of db's

BossChief 03-26-2012 11:24 PM

We let Jones, Battle and McClain walk and signed a guy that can do it all with Peyton Hillis.

Maybe we let Langford and McGraw walk and draft Barron who can fill both roles.

I'd be very happy with that pick. Im a big fan of his and think he could heavily impact our defense.

J Diddy 03-26-2012 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Psyko Tek (Post 8495844)

the matt cassell of db's

I don't see him on the roster

J Diddy 03-26-2012 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Psyko Tek (Post 8495844)

the matt cassell of db's

Because we don't he is an UFA as well.

BossChief 03-26-2012 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 8495841)
Wait how does that work? I thought comp picks were comp picks for specific players? As in you lose one highly-valued player, you get a pick. Period. If it works like you're saying why don't we run the risk of missing out on that pick by signing Routt and company?

The ONLY signings that matter in regards to comp picks are "eligible free agents" which are those that contracts expired.

Guys that were cut aren't included in the equation.

If your team loses more eligible free agents to other teams than you signed from other teams eligible free agents...you are awarded a comp pick for each player over that count.

The round of the comp pick is determined by the amount your free agents signed elsewhere for and their playing time (comp picks next year will be from these equations from this offseason for that reason)

Losing Carr to a big contract to a team he will play a lot for should give us the highest level of comp pick if we keep our count high.

That's another reason Winston, Routt and Boss were probably targeted...they were cut.

We have lost Carr and Orton to other teams and only signed Hillis that actually had an expired contract.

That should put us in line for a nice pick next year.

BossChief 03-26-2012 11:39 PM

Sorry for the thread swerve, shun.

Titty Meat 03-27-2012 12:22 AM

I'd rather sign a vet as a backup.

thabear04 03-27-2012 01:24 AM

Are only Safety are

Eric Berry
Kendrick Lewis
Kyle McCarthy
Donald Washington