ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Alfonso Cuarón's "Gravity" (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=272922)

Reaper16 10-06-2013 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 10055960)
Look at me, I can run a metaphor into the ground.

I saw it when you originally posted it, but forgot about it. Apologies.

And if you don't think I get emotionally vested in movies, you haven't paid any attention to my posts in movie threads. I get very invested emotionally, it's about the only thing I want in a movie - to make me feel something. I'm especially fond of movies that make me sad or particularly angry. In fact, I think you and I have been on the same side of some of those discussions with others.

I didn't find Gravity scary. I did find it intense, thrilling, suspenseful, and at times sad.

I don't actually think for one second that you think film is purely an intellectual exercise. I just wanted to destroy your comeback with logic. :D

alnorth 10-06-2013 04:43 PM

The following actresses all were offered and declined the lead role in Gravity before Bullock accepted:

Angelina Jolie (twice), Natalie Portman, Jennifer Lopez, Rachel Weisz, Marion Cotillard, Carey Mulligan, Blake Lively, Scarlett Johansson, and Olivia Wilde.

Oops. They are all probably kicking themselves now.

Sure-Oz 10-06-2013 06:07 PM

Jennifer lopez lol

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 10-06-2013 06:10 PM

gonna see this tomorrow. Im pumped.

Anyong Bluth 10-07-2013 01:19 AM

Epic! I don't even have the energy to respond on it all right now and I'm just basking in the experience.

Anyong Bluth 10-07-2013 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 10056067)
The following actresses all were offered and declined the lead role in Gravity before Bullock accepted:

Angelina Jolie (twice), Natalie Portman, Jennifer Lopez, Rachel Weisz, Marion Cotillard, Carey Mulligan, Blake Lively, Scarlett Johansson, and Olivia Wilde.

Oops. They are all probably kicking themselves now.

Where'd you see this?

Not saying it's not true, just shocked so many wouldn't jump at chance to work with AC.

But, I'm glad as hell they didn't go with the above list. It's weird bc I'm not a Bullock fan, but her age, demeanor or whatever just seems to fit more in line with a doctor selected for a special mission simply based on her professional expertise being an asset to NASA.

Baby Lee 10-07-2013 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 10044573)
I'll probably wait for it to go to our 2 buck theater in a few months then. I hate paying full price for 90 minute movies.

I'm always disappointed when movies are less than 2 hours worth of entertainment.

I know what you mean, I quit having sex because I jizzed before an hour had passed.

Baby Lee 10-07-2013 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 10055782)
Look at me, I don't know what's fictional and what's real.

Yes, the idea is terrifying. However, the movie is not a horror movie. It's supposed to be intense, thrilling, suspenseful... any of those I'd accept. Scariest movie ever, no.

Scary depends on what you are scared OF.

Anyong Bluth 10-07-2013 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 10052753)
This. If there was anything that bumped me or took me out of the movie, it was sheer amazement, thinking "Holy crap, this isn't all special effects. How in the hell did the director do this?"

I read a little blurb that got into the technical aspects of how he used a new way to do it, and still don't understand in the least. Something about a bubble.

Genius.

Baby Lee 10-07-2013 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz (Post 10056858)
Jennifer lopez lol

They had a great plotline where her booty served as a heatshield, saving the entire crew on re-entry.

underEJ 10-07-2013 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 10055391)
The wife and I saw Gravity this morning. Really very good. While it was sufficiently intense, by the comments here I was expecting it to be pretty much a nail biter nonstop, and that wasn't the case. I disagree with underEJ; I felt Cuaron did a great job of giving the audience some breathing room to chill before upping the intensity even more. And I gotta disagree with Reaper16, too. I didn't find it particularly "scary" at all; thrilling, definitely.

Ah. Sorry. I was intentionally vague to avoid giving away details, but I guess that left my comment unclear. I liked the intensity, the part that drove me nuts was...

Spoiler!

Eleazar 10-07-2013 11:49 AM

I didnt like it at all. There was no plot. There was almost no script. There were numerous suspension of disbelief, eyerolling moments.

It was like they took the last 20 minutes of a film and stretched it out to feature length.

It looked to me like some suit said, "We can charge more for 3D movies, make me a 3D movie", so someone did it, pasting in some floating doodads in post production

I actually was thinking halfway through that the film was rather boring. It was just visuals and nothing else.

JD10367 10-07-2013 03:58 PM

I'll repost what I posted to my Facebook account:

Just saw "Gravity 3D" in IMAX. Some impressive visuals in space. From the camera's perspective up there, so round and perfect and tantalizingly close... And in addition to Sandra Bullock's butt in Spandex shorts, the view of Earth was cool, too!

007 10-07-2013 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 10058634)
I know what you mean, I quit having sex because I jizzed before an hour had passed.

LMAO

Easy 6 10-07-2013 04:18 PM

Dang, some profuse compliments going on about this, i'm sold.

I also hear we get a real nice shot of Sandra in some tights, so there always that.