ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   News Republic schools, burns books and rapes kids. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=248629)

MOhillbilly 08-18-2011 07:09 AM

Republic schools, burns books and rapes kids.

http://www.news-leader.com/article/2...ver-rape-claim

A lawsuit filed against the Republic School District alleges school officials failed to protect a middle school girl from a male classmate who harassed her, sexually assaulted her, and raped her.In its written response, the school district denies all allegations in the suit and calls the claims frivolous.
The suit, filed July 5, alleges when the girl — a special education student — told officials about the harassment, assault and rape that occurred during the 2008-09 school year, they told her they did not believe her. She recanted.
The suit also alleges that, without seeking her mother’s permission, school officials forced the girl to write a letter of apology to the boy and personally deliver it to him. She was then expelled for the rest of the 2008-2009 school year and referred to juvenile authorities for filing a false report.
“School Officials, although mandatory reporters under Missouri’s Child Abuse Reporting Law, failed to report [the girl’s] complaints to the Division of Family Services or to Greene County Juvenile Authorities,” the suit says.

In 2009-10, the girl was allowed back in school, and the boy continued to harass and assault her, the suit says. She did not tell school officials because she was afraid she would be accused of lying and kicked out of school.
In February 2010, the boy allegedly forcibly raped the girl again, this time in the back of the school library. While school officials allegedly expressed skepticism of the girl, her mother took her to the Child Advocacy Center and an exam showed a sexual assault had occurred. DNA in semen found on the girl matched the DNA of the boy she accused, the suit says.

The boy was taken into custody in Juvenile Court and pleaded guilty to charges, the suit says. The specific charges are not stated in the suit.

“School Officials acted recklessly in conscious disregard of and with deliberate indifference to the risk of [the girl’s] safety by failing to conduct an investigation into her allegations of rape and sexual assault, by suspending her from school, and by failing to provide her with any protection from her rapist,” the suit says.

The suit alleges that when school officials interviewed the girl in 2008-09, they failed to even look at her own school file, which included a psychological report “which clearly indicated that [the girl] was conflict adverse, behaviorally passive and ‘would forego her own needs and wishes to satisfy the request of others around so she can be accepted.’”

The 23-page suit was filed July 5 and only identifies the girl, her mother, and the boy by initials. The girl is represented by attorney Doug Harpool. The suit seeks unspecified actual and punitive damages.

Defendants specifically named in the suit are the Republic School District, Superintendent Vern Minor, middle school Principal Patricia Mithelavage, counselor Joni Ragain, and school resource officer Robert Duncan.
The school district’s 19-page response was filed July 29.

“Plaintiff’s claims against the District are frivolous, and have no basis in fact or law” said the response, written by the school district’s lawyers Celynda Brasher and Michelle Basi. “Therefore, the District Defendants are entitled to an award of their reasonable attorneys’ fees and costs.”
The girl failed and neglected to use reasonable means to protect her self, the response says. Any damages the girl may have sustained, “were as a result of the negligence, carelessness, or conduct of third parties over whom the District Defendants had neither control nor the right to control,” according to the school district response.

luv 08-18-2011 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOhillbilly (Post 7832894)

“Plaintiff’s claims against the District are frivolous, and have no basis in fact or law” said the response, written by the school district’s lawyers Celynda Brasher and Michelle Basi. “Therefore, the District Defendants are entitled to an award of their reasonable attorneys’ fees and costs.”
The girl failed and neglected to use reasonable means to protect herself, the response says. Any damages the girl may have sustained, “were as a result of the negligence, carelessness, or conduct of third parties over whom the District Defendants had neither control nor the right to control,” according to the school district response.

Hmmm. Think I'll do a little research in my spare time today.

tooge 08-18-2011 07:48 AM

cut the boys cock off. fire the principle and then rape him. give the reerun girl lots of money and counceling. all's well

Rain Man 08-18-2011 07:50 AM

I wish I could buy futures in her legal settlement.
Posted via Mobile Device

Skyy God 08-18-2011 07:56 AM

The reeruned girl failed to use reasonable means to protect herself? Good luck with that argument.

tooge 08-18-2011 08:00 AM

Oops, sorry. I used the R word. No offense to all you reeruned CP'ers. Oops, I did it again.

Fire Me Boy! 08-18-2011 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooge (Post 7832960)
Oops, sorry. I used the R word. No offense to all you reeruned CP'ers. Oops, I did it again.

You're a regular Britney Spears here.

MOhillbilly 08-18-2011 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooge (Post 7832960)

you are going to 'special needs' hell.

Bugeater 08-18-2011 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pittsie (Post 7832955)
The reeruned girl failed to use reasonable means to protect herself? Good luck with that argument.

No shit. The lawyers who made that statement are the real reeruns in this story.

brorth 08-18-2011 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pittsie (Post 7832955)

Small town in SW MO? The first thing that came to my mind was, "I wonder whose son is this, and what business(es) does dad own in or near Republic, MO?"

Frazod 08-18-2011 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 7832942)
I wish I could buy futures in her legal settlement.
Posted via Mobile Device

Seriously. She'll end up owning the whole ****ing town.

luv 08-18-2011 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brorth (Post 7832975)
Small town in SW MO? The first thing that came to my mind was, "I wonder whose son is this, and what business(es) does dad own in or near Republic, MO?"

Small, but not that small.

MOhillbilly 08-18-2011 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv (Post 7832979)
Small, but not that small.

Small town politics for sure. Old blood goes a long long long damn way around here.

Frazod 08-18-2011 08:19 AM

Just wait until the national media gets ahold of this. Epic shitstorm coming for the people who live in that town. Glad I'm not one of them.

MOhillbilly 08-18-2011 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 7832994)
Just wait until the national media gets ahold of this. Epic shitstorm coming for the people who live in that town. Glad I'm not one of them.

They seem more concerned with the book burnin than child rapes.

Frazod 08-18-2011 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOhillbilly (Post 7833003)
They seem more concerned with the book burnin than child rapes.

What's the book burning part? Perhaps it's just too early in the morning, but I didn't see that in the story.

gblowfish 08-18-2011 08:26 AM

Somewhere, Kurt Vonnegut is laughing his ass off...

luv 08-18-2011 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOhillbilly (Post 7832983)
Small town politics for sure. Old blood goes a long long long damn way around here.

Politics or not, the school shouldn't stand a chance. It's a civil trial, so it's not like you have to prove anything beyond a reasonable doubt.

MOhillbilly 08-18-2011 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 7833011)
What's the book burning part? Perhaps it's just too early in the morning, but I didn't see that in the story.

school board banned slaughter house and 20 boy summer.

MOhillbilly 08-18-2011 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv (Post 7833020)
Politics or not, the school shouldn't stand a chance. It's a civil trial, so it's not like you have to prove anything beyond a reasonable doubt.

back up and think about the reasons it was swept under the rug in the first place not why i/you/we think the defense would stand a snowballs chance in hades.

Hydrae 08-18-2011 08:30 AM

A little sdieways of the topic but I never understood suing a school district for large amounts of money. Schools are having enough time with their budgets right now. So if they win a large settlement it will mean other cuts for the school. Basically they are saying that since the school failed to protect my child every other child in town should have a lesser education.

I don't know, just a ramification of these lawsuits that has always bugged me.

luv 08-18-2011 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOhillbilly (Post 7833028)
back up and think about the reasons it was swept under the rug in the first place not why i/you/we would think the defense would stand a snowballs chance in hades.

Surely, the jury will not be full of politicians or their families. I know it's a small town, but not small enough to where you can't find someone who's not related to a public official.

And there are other towns in Greene county to find jurors that would be clueless to this case.

luv 08-18-2011 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hydrae (Post 7833032)
A little sdieways of the topic but I never understood suing a school district for large amounts of money. Schools are having enough time with their budgets right now. So if they win a large settlement it will mean other cuts for the school. Basically they are saying that since the school failed to protect my child every other child in town should have a lesser education.

How else would you propose to hold them accountable?

MOhillbilly 08-18-2011 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv (Post 7833037)
Surely, the jury will not be full of politicians or their families. I know it's a small town, but not small enough to where you can't find someone who's not related to a public official.

im gonna punch you. -facepalm-

luv 08-18-2011 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOhillbilly (Post 7833041)
im gonna punch you. -facepalm-

You seriously think this case will have a different result due to the kid being related to someone? I guess I'm naive. Or I have more faith in common people.

Frazod 08-18-2011 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv (Post 7833040)

Throw the rapist, everybody who looked the other way, and the people who pulled their strings in the general population of a federal prison for a few months. After that, their ideas on rape might alter a bit.

Too bad eye for an eye isn't common practice in this country. God knows crime would drop fairly dramatically if it was.

Hydrae has a point, though. The main people who will pay for this are the other kids.

luv 08-18-2011 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 7833047)
Throw the rapist, everybody who looked the other way, and the people who pulled their strings in the general population of a federal prison for a few months. After that, their ideas on rape might alter a bit.

Too bad eye for an eye isn't common practice in this country. God knows crime would drop fairly dramatically if it was.

Hydrae has a point, though. The main people who will pay for this are the other kids.

I agree, that's why I asked.

MOhillbilly 08-18-2011 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv (Post 7833046)
You seriously think this case will have a different result due to the kid being related to someone? I guess I'm naive. Or I have more faith in common people.

-facepalm- im sayin the raper may have connections and thats why it never came to the light of day until the rape kit came in positive.

Frazod 08-18-2011 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv (Post 7833049)
I agree, that's why I asked.

No good answer. Welcome to modern America. See you in court.

Bugeater 08-18-2011 08:45 AM

Quote:

They should all lose their jobs and every ****ing thing they own.

luv 08-18-2011 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOhillbilly (Post 7833050)
-facepalm- im sayin the raper may have connections and thats why it never came to the light of day until the rape kit came in positive.

Would you quit that? I realize this point may be true, but I'm simply saying that my opinion is that this connection will not help the school in a jury trial. That's all.

tooge 08-18-2011 08:48 AM

I'm sure the rapist kids parents must have had some connections in town. What about the girl. In a town that size, surely her folks would have some as well. To me, this stinks more of a school district simply not wanting any more bad pub for itself

MOhillbilly 08-18-2011 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv (Post 7833063)
Would you quit that? I realize this point may be true, but I'm simply saying that my opinion is that this connection will not help the school in a jury trial. That's all.

;)

MOhillbilly 08-18-2011 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooge (Post 7833065)
I'm sure the rapist kids parents must have had some connections in town. What about the girl. In a town that size, surely her folks would have some as well. To me, this stinks more of a school district simply not wanting any more bad pub for itself

trailer trash tard vs. monied white boy?

Valiant 08-18-2011 08:50 AM

Why would you want to rape a reeruned girl? You would have to be reeruned yourself.. well unless it is that kristen stodden girl, I think she might be part reerun as is her parents and husband.

luv 08-18-2011 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOhillbilly (Post 7833066)
;)

:banghead: Boy, don't make me....

:)

The Franchise 08-18-2011 08:53 AM

I'm surprised the boy wasn't found dead. If that was my daughter.....everyone would pay.

Valiant 08-18-2011 08:53 AM

ohh. Everyone in that school that did nothing and charged should never teach again.

Valiant 08-18-2011 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 7833072)
I'm surprised the boy wasn't found dead. If that was my daughter.....everyone would pay.

She needs to envoke pumkinhead..

MOhillbilly 08-18-2011 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 7833072)

Single mom? Id love to know the back story on this case.

luv 08-18-2011 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOhillbilly (Post 7833077)
Single mom? Id love to know the back story on this case.

Me, too. Typically all of this is public record, but with minors involved....good luck.

But I'm still gonna try.

tooge 08-18-2011 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOhillbilly (Post 7833068)
trailer trash tard vs. monied white boy?

I'm going to hell for chuckling at that btw

WilliamTheIrish 08-18-2011 09:04 AM

Quote:

School districts are insured. The premiums may go up, but that'll be covered by a raise in the property tax.

ForeverChiefs58 08-18-2011 09:06 AM

Quote:

Do the schools have insurance?

ForeverChiefs58 08-18-2011 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WilliamTheIrish (Post 7833090)
School districts are insured. The premiums may go up, but that'll be covered by a raise in the property tax.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ForeverChiefs58 (Post 7833095)
Do the schools have insurance?

Bingo. This is where I was going.

philfree 08-18-2011 09:20 AM

That's awful close to home. I have relatives who go to school in Republic. My cousin's kids.

Gonzo 08-18-2011 09:33 AM

God dammit....

I just made myself giggle.

You all ready for hell?

"Rapin' reeruns" Would be a ****ing sweet band name.

If you laughed, hell awaits you.

Mr. Laz 08-18-2011 09:33 AM

it's all part of God's plan

Hydrae 08-18-2011 09:40 AM

Quote:

Sorry for the delayed response, working and all that.

The only thing I can think is that you have to go after the individuals responsible, not the organization. Especially when the organization is a public entity which means you are basically going after your neighbors.

There is no good answer in a case like this. Obviously there was a problem when this second occurrence happened in the library. That is just disgusting. But it is not the fault of every taxpayer in town.

Rain Man 08-18-2011 09:41 AM

Quote:

As an aside, my firm had a large contract stolen by a corrupt county employee in Colorado. We won the contract, and then she manipulated the process to give it to her buddies, who came in third out of four bidders and had no idea what they were doing. They then proceeded to do the worst job ever, and appeared to overcharge the county significantly to do it. It was corruption at its worst.

We can sue them, but the challenge is that if/when we win, the crooks there will just write a check from the taxpayers' pockets, and I have a hard time swallowing that. The taxpayers have already been ripped off once, and writing a check on their backs won't fix the problem. So my goal has been to get the crooks fired and get some decent leaders in there.

It's going well so far, but the challenge is that when one crook leaves, one of their crook friends writes them a letter of reference and pays them "settlement money" and then they go out and get another government job at some other unsuspecting agency. They're like roaches.

Hydrae 08-18-2011 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WilliamTheIrish (Post 7833090)

Right, so everyone in town is held financially responsible for what happened at the school. :spock:

Mr. Laz 08-18-2011 09:47 AM

Quote:

I'm sorry, but i detest this attitude. Just hate it. Just like the whole 'Don't fine companies for illegal toxic chemical dumping because they will just pass that financial loss onto customers'.

Bullshit

I seriously doubt you would feel the same if it was your child getting raped in school.

right is right and you do it even if it hurts

Brock 08-18-2011 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hydrae (Post 7833175)
Right, so everyone in town is held financially responsible for what happened at the school. :spock:

So where's the accountability if you don't sue them?

tooge 08-18-2011 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philfree (Post 7833119)
That's awful close to home. I have relatives who go to school in Republic. My cousin's kids.

any of em rapists or reeruns?

Hydrae 08-18-2011 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laz (Post 7833187)
I'm sorry, but i detest this attitude. Just hate it. Just like the whole 'Don't fine companies for illegal toxic chemical dumping because they will just pass that financial loss onto customers'.

Bullshit

I seriously doubt you would feel the same if it was your child getting raped in school.

right is right and you do it even if it hurts

I have no issue with going after a company. Yes, they will raise thier prices, people will buy from their competitor, they go out of business. No concerns here, this is the price they pay for doing illegal things.

But the school district doesn't have a competitor in the same manner. It literally costs every home owner in that area money. Is that helpful in some manner?

Take out the principal, in the case the librarian, other teachers, councilors, etc. Heck, go after the school board members. But heep the impact to those responsible, not the whole town.

philfree 08-18-2011 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooge (Post 7833198)
any of em rapists or reeruns?

No.

luv 08-18-2011 09:59 AM

Quote:

The blame is not on the person suing. It is on the school who swept it under the rug, thus allowing it to happen again.

Brock 08-18-2011 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hydrae (Post 7833207)
I have no issue with going after a company. Yes, they will raise thier prices, people will buy from their competitor, they go out of business. No concerns here, this is the price they pay for doing illegal things.

No concern here? Are not innocent employees affected by selfishly suing the corporation?

luv 08-18-2011 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 7833220)
No concern here? Are not innocent employees affected by selfishly suing the corporation?

Agreed.

Teachers and such are employees of the school district, thus they represent the school. When they do something, the employer has ultimate liability. Because they employees acted on behalf of the school, the school is ultimately responsible.

WilliamTheIrish 08-18-2011 10:09 AM

Quote:

Yep. And that's how it should be. They conspired to cover up a criminal event that happened more than one time. Or perhaps you missed that. (insert logical smiley)

This should be a criminal case.

ForeverChiefs58 08-18-2011 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv (Post 7833222)
Agreed.

Teachers and such are employees of the school district, thus they represent the school. When they do something, the employer has ultimate liability. Because they employees acted on behalf of the school, the school is ultimately responsible.

This.

stevieray 08-18-2011 10:12 AM

events like these make my blood boil.

at the very least, a few people need a serious asskicking.

Hydrae 08-18-2011 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WilliamTheIrish (Post 7833238)
Yep. And that's how it should be. They conspired to cover up a criminal event that happened more than one time. Or perhaps you missed that. (insert logical smiley)

Sure, I have no problem with that. But you aren't going after a PUBLIC entity with a criminal case. You would be going after the individuals who are actually responsible.

I am surprised that everyone seems to not understand the difference between a public entity and a private company (yes, it could be publicly owned by definition but that is not the same as a governmental, public entity).

But enough, I am not trying to send this to DC and will bow out. I have had my say.

luv 08-18-2011 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WilliamTheIrish (Post 7833238)

This is was I thought, too. I wonder if they lacked sufficient evidence for proving such? Much likelier to win a civil case.

ForeverChiefs58 08-18-2011 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv (Post 7833263)
This is was I thought, too. I wonder if they lacked sufficient evidence for proving such? Much likelier to win a civil case.

$$More money$$.

luv 08-18-2011 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ForeverChiefs58 (Post 7833277)
$$More money$$.

Yeah, but civil cases also have a different standard of proof. Much easier to win, I would think.

go bo 08-18-2011 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv (Post 7833284)
Yeah, but civil cases also have a different standard of proof. Much easier to win, I would think.

much easier, look at oj...

tooge 08-18-2011 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hydrae (Post 7833207)

But the school district doesn't have a competitor in the same manner. It literally costs every home owner in that area money. Is that helpful in some manner?

Take out the principal, in the case the librarian, other teachers, councilors, etc. Heck, go after the school board members. But heep the impact to those responsible, not the whole town.

heh, the librarian? Because she didn't see a rape going on in the back of her library while she was updating the card files? "shhhhhhhh on the moaning. People are trying to read"

Iowanian 08-18-2011 10:31 AM

Is it possible that the school didn't do anything because the girl is functional, and a known liar or had reason to believe she lied?

Cornstock 08-18-2011 10:37 AM

I second Iowanian. It says the girl is special ed, not reeruned. There is a huge difference. Special ed usually means sub-100 IQ and reeruned is significantly lower.
Posted via Mobile Device

Skyy God 08-18-2011 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iowanian (Post 7833299)
Is it possible that the school didn't do anything because the girl is functional, and a known liar or had reason to believe she lied?

That's certainly possible, although the nuts and sluts defense isn't quite as effective against a sp-ed middle schooler.

Hydrae 08-18-2011 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooge (Post 7833298)
heh, the librarian? Because she didn't see a rape going on in the back of her library while she was updating the card files? "shhhhhhhh on the moaning. People are trying to read"

Is the librarian not respsonsible for what occurs within the library?

My point is that they should go after the responsible parties, not a governmental institution.

Damn, I said I was done.

Iowanian 08-18-2011 10:50 AM

WHAT IN THE HEL'N IS GOING ON HERE!? Some republican boys just butt raped.......

I'm not saying my question is a true statement, but it is possible that she isn't suffering from some severe handicap, but is a lower functioning student. Hell, some of my best friends were in classes to receive help in school, but at a beer party or work, you'd never know it.

It's quite possible that there was some deep seeded conspiracy by members of the faculty, school board, administration and community to just allow it, but I find it hard to believe or accept that it would happen. I'm familiar with a local situation that could be similar, except that the girl has brain tumors one minute, cancer the next, and 2 separate rape accusations.

This girl was obviously not believed the first time, enough so that she got into trouble and was removed from the school and written up for filing a false report. It's possible that she doesn't know what in the HEL'N she's talking about and that some republican boy didn't butt rape her son....I mean her.

Something just doesn't add up at first take.

If the boy did it the first time....why in the hell would he risk getting in trouble the second?
What possible motive would the officials have to NOT deal with this appropriately? It's their job to keep the youth safe inside the walls of their school.

Skyy God 08-18-2011 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iowanian (Post 7833336)
If the boy did it the first time....why in the hell would he risk getting in trouble the second?

a) he got away with it (she was punished, not him), and b) middle-school boys are probably the dumbest subset of humanity.

Quote:

What possible motive would the officials have to NOT deal with this appropriately? It's their job to keep the youth safe inside the walls of their school.

Some people aren't good at their jobs.

luv 08-18-2011 10:56 AM

Quote:

Well, if he did it the first time, he did get away with it, and history proves that no one would believe her if she said anything again. Unlucky for him that she went to her mom instead of school officials the second time, I guess.

And I think the second question is the reason why they're being sued.

WilliamTheIrish 08-18-2011 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pittsie (Post 7833321)
That's certainly possible, although the nuts and sluts defense isn't quite as effective against a sp-ed middle schooler.

Yea, I'm going to say that even in Republic there is a lawyer that would lick his chops to shred that defense.

LiL stumppy 08-18-2011 11:21 AM

always hated that school.

JD10367 08-18-2011 11:23 AM

Quote:

.If the boy did it the first time....why in the hell would he risk getting in trouble the second?

It's like "once you go black, you never go back".

MOhillbilly 08-18-2011 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiL stumppy (Post 7833417)

made me grin.

The Franchise 08-18-2011 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiL stumppy (Post 7833417)

Perfect. :D