ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   fucking lightning... (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=117795)

Pants 06-12-2005 08:42 PM

fucking lightning...
 
OK, so I come back home to get a call from my dad that the computer got fried during the storm. Now when I push the power button on, nothing happens. Also, when I plug it into an outlet, you can hear a slight ticking sound that slowly dies off when I unplug it. What could be fucked?

Hammock Parties 06-12-2005 08:46 PM

Could be anything. Try replacing the power supply first. If that doesn't work your motherboard and possibly other components are ****ed.

Pants 06-12-2005 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gochiefs
Could be anything. Try replacing the power supply first. If that doesn't work your motherboard and possibly other components are ****ed.

Yeah, I'm getting a new one tomorrow. It's a bitch not having my "good" computer.

Hammock Parties 06-12-2005 09:02 PM

Your hard drive could be ****ed as well as any component on the motherboard.

I lost my first hard drive this way.

DenverChief 06-12-2005 09:16 PM

Two words: Surge protector

Pants 06-12-2005 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DenverChief
Two words: Surge protector

I have one, a "Power Center". :shrug:

Phobia 06-12-2005 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Metrolike
I have one, a "Power Center". :shrug:

Maybe it offers some insurance against loss of equipment due to lightning. You should check into it.

Pants 06-12-2005 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia
Maybe it offers some insurance against loss of equipment due to lightning. You should check into it.

Heh, thanks, it's really old though and I don't know where the papers are. I'll definatelly look into it that, though.

Another question: I have a really old power supply (150 watt ROFL), can anything bad happen from using it to troubleshoot?

Loki 06-13-2005 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Metrolike
Heh, thanks, it's really old though and I don't know where the papers are. I'll definatelly look into it that, though.

Another question: I have a really old power supply (150 watt ROFL), can anything bad happen from using it to troubleshoot?

yeah... like nothing will work.
150w rofl is right. not enough juice.

dude, if your machine got fried by lightning, you're pretty much
looking at replacing everything. your CD drive(s) might still
function, and you might be able to get a HD reformatted,
but mainboard and pci/agp cards are more than likely toast. those
12v boards weren't meant to handle 10000v... cripes a static charge
will even fry them, so you can imagine what a lightning $trike will do.

sorry to hear it and good luck.

Pants 06-13-2005 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loki
yeah... like nothing will work.
150w rofl is right. not enough juice.

dude, if your machine got fried by lightning, you're pretty much
looking at replacing everything. your CD drive(s) might still
function, and you might be able to get a HD reformatted,
but mainboard and pci/agp cards are more than likely toast. those
12v boards weren't meant to handle 10000v... cripes a static charge
will even fry them, so you can imagine what a lightning $trike will do.

sorry to hear it and good luck.

Well, I just tried the older power supply. It was my bad, it turns out the older PS was 250W - not 150W, the one that got fried was 300W (so 50W difference between old and current). I tried turning my computer on and all it did was, what it looked like, kept restarting itself over and over with no signs of life (i.e. the monitor light stayed orange).

This is such a bitch, I just upgarded this mother****er last summer with a XP 3000+ (before the 64 days), new mobo and a 180 Gig HDD. :(

Hammock Parties 06-13-2005 06:56 AM

Try replacing the motherboard.

StcChief 06-13-2005 07:52 AM

Good surge protector with insurance policy worth it.

Does your homeowners policy cover it?

AeroSquid 06-13-2005 09:44 AM

it is impossible to collect on those UPS/Surge Protector warranties. They fill those with many loopholes to keep the average guy from ever being able to cash in.

Mr. Laz 06-13-2005 11:03 AM

you can get a power surge through the phone/cable connection for the internet.

that way it bypasses the surge protector


when the thunder boomers start i try to remember and unplug my computer completely ... disconnect the phone/cable line etc.

go bo 06-13-2005 01:29 PM

people still have dial-up?

i thought that had been outlawed because it slows down the internet or something... :p :p :p


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:25 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.