ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Advice on Highway Travel in Arizona (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=269178)

Archie F. Swin 01-22-2013 11:23 AM

Advice on Highway Travel in Arizona

In March I plan on taking my family to see landmarks and (hopefully) some spring training baseball in Arizona. While I'm familiar with how the state is laid out, our travel will take us into some wide-open, sparsely-populated areas I wouldn't want to be stranded in.

From our home in Texas, my first destination is Farmington, New Mexico to stay the first night. Our second day will be in a region I'm completely unfamiliar with and need the most help with. From Farmington, we will make a stop at the Four Corners Marker (not really a big deal, but if we're in the the neighborhood...) and on to Monument Valley (something I've always wanted to see). Ideally, I would like to end this day of travel at a motel within a reasonable distance of the Grand Canyon. As far as I can tell, this would mean I have to drive from Monument Valley to Williams, Flagstaff or near the south rim to find accommodations. Doesn't look like there's much east of the Grand Canyon (unless you want to snuggle up to a Navajo). Can anyone tell me if its a reasonable drive from Monument Valley to Flagstaff (under normal driving conditions) to where we won't be pulling into town at midnight? Are there any surprisingly affordable places to stay within and hour of the south rim?

Anywhoo, we'll probably devote an entire day to the Grand Canyon (first visit in 25 years), then eventually make our way down to the Valley of the Sun (Phoenix/Surprise) and catch at least one Royals game and visit a distant cousin. Any must-see (also quick)stops between Flagstaff and Phoenix?

petegz28 01-22-2013 11:29 AM

Just know in the Phoenix area they do not know what a blinker is let alone how to use one.

petegz28 01-22-2013 11:30 AM

Also there is like 1 road in Surprise that takes you to the Royals complex, Bell Rd. I think it is.

Chief_For_Life58 01-22-2013 11:39 AM

if youre traveling on the 64 to farmington I would stop and take a piss in Taos. Its a cool town. Rio grande gorge (bridge) is pretty epic too

Chief_For_Life58 01-22-2013 11:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
the picture doesnt do it justice, but its pretty sweet

Sweet Daddy Hate 01-22-2013 11:43 AM

Just stay away from New Mexico. These mother****ers can't drive for jack OR shit.

Chief_For_Life58 01-22-2013 11:44 AM

when u stand on the bridge its pretty sweet. the mountains in the background are part of where taos ski resort is. Cool little ski resort and ski town if anyones interested. went there last march

loochy 01-22-2013 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archie F. Swin (Post 9341200)
In March I plan on taking my family to see landmarks and (hopefully) some spring training baseball in Arizona. While I'm familiar with how the state is laid out, our travel will take us into some wide-open, sparsely-populated areas I wouldn't want to be stranded in.

From our home in Texas, my first destination is Farmington, New Mexico to stay the first night. Our second day will be in a region I'm completely unfamiliar with and need the most help with. From Farmington, we will make a stop at the Four Corners Marker (not really a big deal, but if we're in the the neighborhood...) and on to Monument Valley (something I've always wanted to see). Ideally, I would like to end this day of travel at a motel within a reasonable distance of the Grand Canyon. As far as I can tell, this would mean I have to drive from Monument Valley to Williams, Flagstaff or near the south rim to find accommodations. Doesn't look like there's much east of the Grand Canyon (unless you want to snuggle up to a Navajo). Can anyone tell me if its a reasonable drive from Monument Valley to Flagstaff (under normal driving conditions) to where we won't be pulling into town at midnight? Are there any surprisingly affordable places to stay within and hour of the south rim?

Anywhoo, we'll probably devote an entire day to the Grand Canyon (first visit in 25 years), then eventually make our way down to the Valley of the Sun (Phoenix/Surprise) and catch at least one Royals game and visit a distant cousin. Any must-see (also quick)stops between Flagstaff and Phoenix?

Do yourself a favor when driving to Farmington. DON'T go from Wichita Falls to Amarillo and take I-40 across to Albuquerque. Instead, go to Amarillo and head north to Dumas, then Clayton, Springer, Taos, Tierra Amarilla, Chama, Dulce, and Farmington. You will be treated to a much more beautiful and senic drive that you won't get so much of if you take the southern route.

Trust me - I grew up in Wichita Falls and my dad is from Taos, so we made that journey many times.

Stewie 01-22-2013 11:52 AM

You can stop in Sedona when you're headed to Phoenix and get your chakras aligned via the harmonic convergence.

loochy 01-22-2013 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief_For_Life58 (Post 9341263)
when u stand on the bridge its pretty sweet. the mountains in the background are part of where taos ski resort is. Cool little ski resort and ski town if anyones interested. went there last march

The bridge sways and shakes in the wind or when a car drives by.

My aunt's nephew (on the otehr side of the family) committed suicide by jumping off of that bridge...people say they see his ghost there now. No joke.

sd4chiefs 01-22-2013 12:03 PM

They have this thing called google.

http://www.arizonaguide.com/things-to-do

Chief_For_Life58 01-22-2013 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 9341282)
The bridge sways and shakes in the wind or when a car drives by.

My aunt's nephew (on the otehr side of the family) committed suicide by jumping off of that bridge...people say they see his ghost there now. No joke.

I think I saw him!!! Is he a native american trying to sell leather wallets out of a chevy venture van?

loochy 01-22-2013 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief_For_Life58 (Post 9341310)
I think I saw him!!! Is he a native american trying to sell leather wallets out of a chevy venture van?

no he's one of the hippies selling ugly shirts out of a volkswagen van

Chief_For_Life58 01-22-2013 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 9341319)
no he's one of the hippies selling ugly shirts out of a volkswagen van

Oh right. Nah I didnt see him then. Sorry for your familys loss. That was one hell of a way to go out off that bridge

loochy 01-22-2013 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief_For_Life58 (Post 9341340)
Oh right. Nah I didnt see him then. Sorry for your familys loss. That was one hell of a way to go out off that bridge

Hey, like I said it wasn't our side of the family, it was my aunt's side (she married in). He and his girlfriend were high or something and he accidentally shot her (supposedly), then he decided to jump off of this bridge.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/JncUtZ2KTzo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>