ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Lee's Summit considering Pit Bull Ban (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=142317)

'Hamas' Jenkins 06-15-2006 10:59 AM

What is wrong with the Rhodesian Ridgeback?

Dartgod 06-15-2006 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcfan88
"Helmuts " what kind of dog breed is this? similar to the "hounds of hell"??

"Helmut" is the Chiefsplanet spelling for "helmet". Its not in the official lexicon, but it should be.

BIG_DADDY 06-15-2006 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins
What is wrong with the Rhodesian Ridgeback?

Why don't you ask some of your liberal friends. There the ones behind almost all BSL.

Here is an update on what went down in Overland Park last night. Want to make a difference. Send a quick e-mail to the counsil members.

The meeting went o.k. this evening. Councilwoman Gilliland is pushing for a pit bull ban. City Attorney Mike Santos and the Police Chief presented extremely edited information about bites and incidents with misleading labels and categories that were completely deleted. Santos also made the comment that "all pit bulls in Overland Park are registered." Currently that is 20 dogs in a fairly affluent city of 170,000 (which still has A LOT of pit bulls going to shelters, but mostly privately because of the ordinance). By the way, they have had 1 pit bull bite this year. Also Santos has been at the root of all of the pit bull ordinances in the region; he has provided advice and documentation lobbying for bans and restrictions in Leawood, Shawnee, Olathe, Independence, and Kansas City, MO (among other cities) over the past decades.

We need help to repeal their current legislation, which requires owners to purchase liability insurance, pay a higher license fees, and muzzle their dogs at all times outside of the home. Overland Park spends more than $50,000 just in direct cost on the current ordinance. Based on other cities' experiences the annual estimated direct cost (just personnel) would more than double in order to enforce a ban.

Overland Park needs a progressive ordinance. We would like to suggest the Ryan Armstrong Law from Illinois or Olathe's ordinance. It also needs to spend its money on other animal and community projects instead of hunting down "pit bulls."

Here are the city council members (please recommend an effective breed neutral policy and that they repeal the current law, also be very polite/professional):

carl.gerlach@opkansas.org
terry.happerscheier@opkansas.org
george.kandt@opkansas.org
marcia.gilliland@opkansas.org
fred.spears@opkansas.org
donna.owens@opkansas.org
john.thompson@opkansas.org
dave.janson@opkansas.org
curt.skoog@opkansas.org
david.white@opkansas.org
terry.goodman@opkansas.org
jim.hix@opkansas.org
george.kandt@opkansas.org

Pennywise 06-15-2006 11:06 AM

I bet the wild hogs where I'm from would love to see the Pits and Dogos go away.

Dartgod 06-15-2006 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG_DADDY
We would like to suggest the Ryan Armstrong Law from Illinois or Olathe's ordinance.

Can you elaborate on this, BD?

BIG_DADDY 06-15-2006 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dartgod
Can you elaborate on this, BD?

http://www.geminiz.com/ArmstrongAct/ArmstrongAct.htm

Dartgod 06-15-2006 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG_DADDY

Sounds reasonable to me.

BIG_DADDY 06-15-2006 11:28 AM

Quote:

Sounds reasonable to me.

I am all for holding people accountible and putting down any dog that bites an innocent person.

BigRedChief 06-15-2006 11:31 AM

Quote:

"Helmut" is the Chiefsplanet spelling for "helmet". Its not in the official lexicon, but it should be.

Chit if n00b is in then helmut should be too. :cuss:

BIG_DADDY 06-15-2006 12:26 PM

Here is the information you need if you want to make a difference on the Lee's summit purposed legislation. I hope some of you are going to use this it only takes a few minutes.

Please write the council members in Lees Summit and ask that the consider strengthening their current breed neutral law, similar to Olathe or that they consider a very tough law like the Ryan Armstrong Law in Illinois.

Here are the addresses:
Mayor-Karen.Messerli@lees-summit.mo.us
Council
jhallam@mid-west.net
hofmann.kathy@gmail.com
rrhoads@mid-west.net (opposes)
rwilliam@mid-west.net (doesn't want ban, but might be o.k. with BSL)
jspallo@sbcglobal.net
cockrelled@yahoo.com (he has proposed the legislation)
jffreeman@att.net
Swearngin@gmail.com

Administrator
Steve.Lewis@lees-summit.mo.us

Abby York
Kansas City Dog Advocates

Here is the article

Lee's Summit considers ban on pit bulls
The Kansas City Star
Lee's Summit is joining the list of cities talking about pit bulls.
Councilman Ed Cockrell on Wednesday proposed in a committee meeting that the breed be banned before the city has an incident.
Two other councilmen had mixed reactions. Councilman Ron Williams said people who already own pit bulls that behave should be allowed to keep those dogs, but he'd accept a ban on more pit bulls coming into the city. Randy Rhoads said a ban might create a false sense of security because other breeds are capable of seriously injuring people.
City Administrator Steve Lewis said Lee's Summit has ordinances to handle individually vicious dogs.
"There's a lot of debate about what's the best way to go," he said.
| Russ Pulley, rpulley@kcstar.com.

CoMoChief 06-15-2006 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief
As a citizen of the lovely suburban bedroom city of Lee's Summit I have a dog in this fight.

On one hand the city is a very politically correct city but it has traditionally has had a political base being Republican and very conservative.

Seat Belts, Helmuts and proventive bans are all the same kind of thing. Trying to regulate the behaviour of its citizens. If we go down that path why is cigarettes and liquor sales never a part of the discussion?

Because govt tried that already and it didnt work.

BWillie 06-15-2006 12:32 PM

I bet DMX would be pissed.

CoMoChief 06-15-2006 12:36 PM

If people dont like it they can get another dog. I dont really see what the benefit of having a Pit Bull in a neighborhood where theres children etc. Sure you can have them in junk yards etc. In Columbia theres a college girl that lives behind me and walked out to her car one morning and two pit bulls that got out from their fenced area attacked her while getting into her car. She didnt do anything to harm the dogs, they literally chased after her (both of them) and bit her 13 times, once in the neck and she had numerous amount of stiches. These dogs are highly highly aggressive, their bread like that, they've always have been, they have more of a chemical upmake in their systems that make them more aggressive than any other bread of dog. What is the benefit of having these animals? It's not about the owner, as of some will say on this board that makes them mean, its genetics, they've done studies on this. IIRC there was an article on the study that was posted here on the planet, and no Im not gonna dig through the archives to find it. Theres just no positive reasoning for having these dogs in a community.

BIG_DADDY 06-15-2006 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BSPimpDude
If people dont like it they can get another dog. I dont really see what the benefit of having a Pit Bull in a neighborhood where theres children etc. Sure you can have them in junk yards etc. In Columbia theres a college girl that lives behind me and walked out to her car one morning and two pit bulls that got out from their fenced area attacked her while getting into her car. She didnt do anything to harm the dogs, they literally chased after her (both of them) and bit her 13 times, once in the neck and she had numerous amount of stiches. These dogs are highly highly aggressive, their bread like that, they've always have been, they have more of a chemical upmake in their systems that make them more aggressive than any other bread of dog. What is the benefit of having these animals? It's not about the owner, as of some will say on this board that makes them mean, its genetics, they've done studies on this. IIRC there was an article on the study that was posted here on the planet, and no Im not gonna dig through the archives to find it. Theres just no positive reasoning for having these dogs in a community.

First of all you don't know jack shit about the subject. Almost everything they call a pit bull is not even a pit bull. They call many breeds that now so they can get up the bite total because real pits rarely ever bite people unless they were abused. Secondly this isn't a pit bull thing it's a dog thing. Why don't you try reading through some of the thread or learning a little bit more about the subject before you enlighten us with your media fueled/zero experience opinion. As long as we are just going to start randomly slaughtering stuff why don't we start with you for being a complete dumbass.

BIG_DADDY 06-15-2006 01:07 PM

Facts:

1.There are 61 million dogs in this country.

2.Since the 70's the bite totals in America have varied but always averaged out the same at 16 deaths per year. This meens that one in .0000002 dogs will kill someone. This includes the bad guys.

3. They estimate 300k people in this country get bit annually. Keeping in mind these are not reported bites just estimates. Actual reported bites are way lower. THat means that less than one half of one percent of all dogs actually bite someone. This icludes the bad guys.

This is not a crisis it's a joke perpetrated by fear mongers and PETA types. I wonder what the national estimate would be for criminals who stopped what they were doing because of a dog considering there are an estimated 2.5 million successfull defensive gun uses in this country annually. I'll bet the number would be staggering.