ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Lee's Summit considering Pit Bull Ban (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=142317)

BIG_DADDY 06-15-2006 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefnj
I'm sure Labs are the #1 biter since there are so many labs around chances are there would be higher bite #. However, fortunately for labs, they don't do the same amount of destruction that a pit bull does when it latches on.

The answer is responsible breeders and owners. Pit bulls often don't have either and the dogs will suffer because of it.

When you watch an episode of COPS and they respond to some meth head in a double wide, or some row house full of crack sellers/users you never see a weiner dog in the background barking - always a pit bull.

So what will banning and slaughtering them accomplish? Do you think the meth lab will go with wiener dogs once you have slaughtered all the pits?

Pennywise 06-15-2006 01:57 PM

I bet if you walked up behind that lady in front of the cage and went "GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!" really loud it would scare the shit out of her.

BIG_DADDY 06-15-2006 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PennyWise
I bet if you walked up behind that lady in front of the cage and went "GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!" really loud it would scare the shit out of her.

ROFL

Dartgod 06-15-2006 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by memyselfI
The entire debate is really silly. There is no inherent/second amendment right in the constitution stating a citizen is entitled to own a certain type of dog. I think it's completely within the right of govenrments to control the population of certain types of animals in order to protect the greater good.

Right. Because enforcing personal responsibility upon the dog owners or breeders is never the answer.

BD is right in that once pit bulls have been banned across the country, which breed will be next? God knows there will always be irresponsible owners, so of course we have to ban the "breed du jour".

KingPriest2 06-15-2006 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG_DADDY
These are the breeds they are going to go after once they get some legislation passed. If you have any of these breeds you should be seriously concerned and fight against all BSL.

*American Pit Bull Terrier
*American Staffordshire Terrier
*Staffordshire Bull Terrier
*Rottweiler
*Bull Mastiff
*Doberman Pinscher
*St. Bernard
*Dogo Argentino
*German Shephard
*Akita
*Chow Chow
*Boxer
*Rhodesian Ridgeback
*Dogue de Bordeaux
*Husky
*Wolf Hybrid
*Great Pyrenees

What about Alaskan Malamutes?

FAX 06-15-2006 02:08 PM

Actually, I am leading a movement to do away with the Dachshund.

Our Manifesto:

The Anti-Dachshund Party hereby states its deep commitment to the utter, complete, and absolute destruction of the wiener dog. The assumption that wiener dogs exist for any purpose whatsoever is completely unacceptable and we consider that the disgusting nature of the wiener dog undermines human dignity.

The ADP intends to raise public awareness of the need to eliminate wiener dogs from the face of the earth and would pass appropriate legislation to inform the electorate and to enact policies aimed at dealing with this overly-lengthy and disgustingly long-eared breed through the use of extreme violence whenever and wherever they are found.

Be advised; If you are part wiener dog, you are wiener dog. If you harbor a wiener dog, you are wiener dog.

FAX

BIG_DADDY 06-15-2006 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dartgod
Right. Because enforcing personal responsibility upon the dog owners or breeders is never the answer.

BD is right in that once pit bulls have been banned across the country, which breed will be next? God knows there will always be irresposibble owners, so of course we have to ban the "breed du jour".

All the dogs I posted earlier are banned in different parts of the country. There were 22 last I checked about a year ago. This has never been a pit bull thing it has been a dog thing and Denise knows that. She just won't ever cross the party line no matter how much she knows they are wrong. At this point I am having a hard time believing she ever worked for a vet based on what she has said. I think it is just another default to I'm an expert on the subject line she has used numerous times over the years. She hits two birds with one stone on this one being that she looks employed as well.

tk13 06-15-2006 02:09 PM

Quote:

Fear Monger away. If you look long enough you probably find some info on the breed being the dog of the debil. Don't bother with the numbers or the facts or the history of BSL though. Don't bother with temperment testing or the fact that they call many breeds including anything that remotely resembles a pit a pit. I have been posting the real numbers for a long time now on this subject as well as the history of BSL and you haven't responded to any of it. It's quite clear at this point that all you can bring to the table is cut and paste fear monger articles from the media feeding frenzy on the subject.

Relax there buddy. I wasn't even trying to argue with you. I never once said I was in favor of even banning these animals. I was just posting that story about that little girl, which I thought was pretty bad. If I was really all up in arms about killing pit bulls I believe I would've posted that article two weeks ago when it actually happened... like you do any time you get a piece of information you want to talk about.

BIG_DADDY 06-15-2006 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingPriest2
What about Alaskan Malamutes?

Malamutes should be on there too. Great posts BTW. People who are for BSL don't want to know the facts though.

memyselfI 06-15-2006 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dartgod

BD is right in that once pit bulls have been banned across the country, which breed will be next? God knows there will always be irresponsible owners, so of course we have to ban the "breed du jour".

Oh, I agree with the whole personal responsibility thing and agree that owners need to be held responsible for their dogs. Therefore, if your dog murders someone the owner should be jailed for involuntary manslaughter due to their inability to control their dog.

But trying to hold breeders accountable for the actions of the buyer's dog is similiar to holding gun merchants responsible for their gun being used by an irresponsible owner in a murder. It doesn't make any sense. The gun owner is the one who should be paying the price, not the merchant who sold it. Same goes for dogs.

A breeder can be very selective in their choice of owners but there is no guarantee that the owner's situation won't change thus making it nearly impossible for them to guarantee they've sold to a responsibile owner. You can screen and you can interview and check references but in the end it's still a prayer that all goes well.

BIG_DADDY 06-15-2006 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13
Relax there buddy. I wasn't even trying to argue with you. I never once said I was in favor of even banning these animals. I was just posting that story about that little girl, which I thought was pretty bad. If I was really all up in arms about killing pit bulls I believe I would've posted that article two weeks ago when it actually happened... like you do any time you get a piece of information you want to talk about.

I probably get 20 e-mails a day from different organizations fighting BSL. I don't even post 1/1000th of what I receive and could post. I have all the contacts to fight the INDY proposal if somebody posting here lived there as an example. It's been my frusteration that every time this type of legislation is proposed when the anti-BSL people bring all the facts to the table all the other side wants to do is try and incite fear instead of looking for a real answer. I hate that more than anything. If I came across harsh it's because you were starting down that path.

Eleazar 06-15-2006 02:17 PM

Quote:

At this point I am having a hard time believing she ever worked for a vet based on what she has said. I think it is just another default to I'm an expert on the subject line she has used numerous times over the years. She hits two birds with one stone on this one being that she looks employed as well.

Like I said before... answering the phone at a hospital doesn't make me a doctor.

Dartgod 06-15-2006 02:17 PM

Breeder responsibility is a little bit of a gray area, IMO. "Real breeders" (ie, professioanls) are probably inherently more responsible (not all of them though), but the trailer trash meth head who breeds his aggressively trained pit and then sells the pups to other irresponsible owners is a problem.

BIG_DADDY 06-15-2006 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by memyselfI
Oh, I agree with the whole personal responsibility thing and agree that owners need to be held responsible for their dogs. Therefore, if your dog murders someone the owner should be jailed for involuntary manslaughter due to their inability to control their dog.

But trying to hold breeders accountable for the actions of the buyer's dog is similiar to holding gun merchants responsible for their gun being used by an irresponsible owner in a murder. It doesn't make any sense. The gun owner is the one who should be paying the price, not the merchant who sold it. Same goes for dogs.

A breeder can be very selective in their choice of owners but there is no guarantee that the owner's situation won't change thus making it nearly impossible for them to guarantee they've sold to a responsibile owner. You can screen and you can interview and check references but in the end it's still a prayer that all goes well.

You should have said that to begin with instead of agreeing to the slaughter of millions of families innocent pets. I actually agree with everything you posted there.

memyselfI 06-15-2006 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cochise
Like I said before... answering the phone at a hospital doesn't make me a doctor.

Nope, it doesn't. Neither does being a tech or assistant. But it sure does mean you see and hear and learn alot more things than average Joe.