ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Hall of Classics (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Planet members and their kids serving in Iraq and Afghanistan need our support. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=217140)

Jenson71 10-28-2009 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 6214969)
Nothing to do with politics but these are going to be our fellow citizens, fellow Chief fans in harms way while we sat in our barcoloungers drinking cold ones and watching our Chiefs get smoked. It's the least we can do. Makes it more personal. A fellow citizen and Chiefs fan showing some support and appreciation to another for their sacrifice. Also lets the families that post on here know their sons, daughters, brothers and even in-laws are not fogotten.

Yeah, no doubt. They work hard out there and need some support to boost morale. I can see the day coming when my brother will be deployed. I used to just skip the headlines relating to the war, because it gets a little repititive. But for people with family over there, I would guess that that's the most important thing all day.

Iowanian 10-28-2009 05:51 PM

I've been chatting with my brother....he says the thing he misses the most right now is hunting.

He says Hunting Videos would be a good thing for any outdoorsmen....I know several of the pros, so I'll see if I can get some videos donated

BigRedChief 10-28-2009 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iowanian (Post 6215561)
I've been chatting with my brother....he says the thing he misses the most right now is hunting.

He says Hunting Videos would be a good thing for any outdoorsmen....I know several of the pros, so I'll see if I can get some videos donated

:clap:

Iowanian 10-28-2009 06:15 PM

I can't guarantee anything, but I'm going to ask.

You might put that down for things to buy though. You can buy them in sets....I saw a collection on craigslist the other day for pretty cheap too.

I hadn't thought of it, but at least my brother is having whitetail withdrawls. I'm sure the other hunters are too.

RJ 10-28-2009 09:02 PM

Which is best, and easiest for you?

I'd be happy to Paypal some $$, send a check or buy some items.

If Paypal is best, PM me and I'll contribute.

chiefbowe82 10-28-2009 10:02 PM

I'll see what I can gather up

BigRedChief 10-29-2009 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefbowe82 (Post 6216223)
I'll see what I can gather up

Any help for the troops is appreciated.

Pink Paradise 2010 10-29-2009 09:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I support the troops :)

BigRedChief 10-29-2009 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pink Paradise 2010 (Post 6216996)
I support the troops :)

I realize your new here but we don't post "joke" posts in a sticky or a serious thread. Your penalty for this violation is $20 for the troops.:)

joesomebody 10-29-2009 07:14 PM

PM me your paypal and I'll see what I can do.

I just read that the Amazon Kindle now works internationally. I wish there was a way we could afford to buy a couple of those for the troops. Unfortunately they are about $300. I know the prospect of unlimited books would be nice.

As to Iowanian's suggestion of grass seed and dirt. That is popular, at least it was among my friends. Something about having a little piece of America to take care of while in the sand box was a comforting thought.

BigRedChief 10-29-2009 08:27 PM

I wish you guys could hear that stories I'm hearing about this thread. My best friend, my brother, my in-law etc. is heading over there, is already over there. Worried about them etc. Gut wrenching personal stories. And then there is ones like this....

Hey BRC. This is edited name. God bless the troops and thanks for what you are doing. This is the money I was going to use as a reward for my lost puppy dog. The kind woman that found him refused the reward, so I figure this is a good alternative.

Total so far...$85 in hand. More have promised funds in the future.

PastorMikH 10-29-2009 09:11 PM

We did this over the last year at our church for soldiers from the area that were overseas. If you haven't found out already, I can get the list of suggested items we went by.

Also several of the soldiers said coffee was always appreciated. You can get foldgers and maxwell house coffees in tea bag form so that they can make coffee with a cup of hotwater and not have it taste like instant. Another thing that we popular is wet-wipes. Kid out of our church who spent 2 tours in Iraq said, especially on the first tour they could go several weeks without a shower (or running water for that matter) and the wet wipes were the only he could clean up.

BigRedChief 10-30-2009 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PastorMikH (Post 6218806)
We did this over the last year at our church for soldiers from the area that were overseas. If you haven't found out already, I can get the list of suggested items we went by.

Also several of the soldiers said coffee was always appreciated. You can get foldgers and maxwell house coffees in tea bag form so that they can make coffee with a cup of hotwater and not have it taste like instant. Another thing that we popular is wet-wipes. Kid out of our church who spent 2 tours in Iraq said, especially on the first tour they could go several weeks without a shower (or running water for that matter) and the wet wipes were the only he could clean up.

Yeah, I've started to get feedback from members who have family over there privately and doing some research it looks like Coffee, tea, instant flavored drinks of any kind and those baby wipes are the most popular items. Also not a lot of feedback but those who have offered or experienced it say Iowaian's idea of potting soil and some seeds goes over real big with the troops also. I could use those USPS boxes that doesn't matter about weight but based on size to ship the potting soil.

JohninGpt 10-30-2009 06:28 AM

Decent toiletpaper, Charmin, IIRC, makes a little travel pack that is easy to put in your cargo pocket and keep with you. They don't call the gov't issue stuff "John Wayne" for nothing.

Radar Chief 10-30-2009 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohninGpt (Post 6219201)
Decent toiletpaper, Charmin, IIRC, makes a little travel pack that is easy to put in your cargo pocket and keep with you. They don't call the gov't issue stuff "John Wayne" for nothing.

Heh, “rough on your ass and don’t take shit off nobody.” :thumb:

Wet wipes is another prized item.