ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   ESPN, Bobby Fisher: Chest king still lost .... (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=114379)

ROYC75 04-18-2005 10:11 AM

ESPN, Bobby Fischer: Chest king still lost ....

Anybody else seen the story by Jeremy Schapp on Bobby Fischer last night ?

It told about Fischer was taken in and conciled by Dick Schapp while jeremy was a kid, only to turn on his father after Dick wrote some stories about Bobby, who claims Dick befriended him.

Fischer had strong words about the USA during his matches over seas in US sanctioned countries. Fischer then turn and was not heard from for years.

After 9/11 attacks, Fischer was praising the attacks and cussing up a storm about the USA, policies and such.

That story took any respect I had for Fischer away . :shake:

Joe Seahawk 04-18-2005 10:14 AM

Speaking of Chest Kings..

http://www.emerchandise.com/images/p...dPMELV0004.jpg

Simplex3 04-18-2005 10:14 AM

Yeah, I also lost a lot of respect for him when I found out he played chess.

Hammock Parties 04-18-2005 10:15 AM

Bobby Fisher the Chest King? Never heard of him. I've heard of Bobby Fischer the Chess King.... :)

Demonpenz 04-18-2005 10:18 AM

sounds like his ego is too big to be put in "check"

ROYC75 04-18-2005 10:21 AM

OK, missed the c, c what I mean.

FloridaMan88 04-18-2005 10:26 AM

Yeah I saw that on ESPN, Fischer needs a shrink who enjoys a challenge.

Pretty amazing how the Cold War made events that no one would otherwise care about (i.e. chess matches and the Olympics) into big deals.

eazyb81 04-18-2005 10:26 AM

Do you know why he the US is trying to get him extradited back to the country? What did he do? I saw the end of the piece when he went on his little rant about Schaap, he sounded crazy to me. Seems like one of those cases where someone is too brilliant for their own good.

redfan 04-18-2005 10:27 AM

I love his crazy old man beard. Very Husseinian...

KChiefs1 04-18-2005 10:31 AM

"Searching for Bobby Fisher" is a great movie though! :thumb:

Hammock Parties 04-18-2005 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefs1

Mmm, yes, I love that movie.

"There it is!"

BIG_DADDY 04-18-2005 10:35 AM

Fisher is just pissed because of the way the US treated him after playing the forbidden game. I don't like the guy personally but I understand why he's pissed. Who the f8ck are we to tell somebody whether they can play a game of chess with another individual? The whole thing is stupid.

ROYC75 04-18-2005 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eazyb81
Do you know why he the US is trying to get him extradited back to the country? What did he do? I saw the end of the piece when he went on his little rant about Schaap, he sounded crazy to me. Seems like one of those cases where someone is too brilliant for their own good.

OK, somebody correct me if I am wrong here. I was lead to believe it had something to do with US sanctions on foreign countries.

Swanman 04-18-2005 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefs1

"It's there Josh, it's twelve moves away but it's there. Don't move until you see it".

Hydrae 04-18-2005 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG_DADDY
Fisher is just pissed because of the way the US treated him after playing the forbidden game. I don't like the guy personally but I understand why he's pissed. Who the f8ck are we to tell somebody whether they can play a game of chess with another individual? The whole thing is stupid.

One of those times I completely agree with you, BD. I don't know the details but he went from hero to traitor in a short period of time simply because he exercised his freedom to go play a game of chess. Given the way he has been treated in the last couple of decades, I am not sure I blame him for his attitude towards this country.