ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life *.* 2013 General Fitness Thread *.* (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=268371)

Saul Good 02-17-2013 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 9411034)
LMAO

I'd been doing like 10 milers pretty regularly at one time. I decided I was going to do a 13 miler at Devi's Den, thinking it wasn't that much different. Little did I realize that it was also on some of the most strenuous trail I'd ever done with huge elevation gains. I was probably 10 miles in when I bonked hard core. It ended up taking me like 3.5 hours to do it. I felt like shit for days afterwards.

Actually felt pretty good on the boxing. I'm surprised. We'll see how I feel tomorrow.

Before last April, I had never run more than a mile, and I hadn't even done that in 20 years. I'm pretty proud of myself.

BigCatDaddy 02-17-2013 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 9410949)
Okay, I guess I live under a rock and wasn't aware of the policies of this up and coming "gym," Planet Fitness.

Are you all aware that this place kicks people out for sweating too hard or over exerting themselves during lifts? A friend of mine recently got booted out because he was wearing a skull cap (in the winter... also he's balding) and sweating too hard.

WTF??!

I love this video. This dude got booted out for grunting then rages.

http://youtu.be/umFtq_GOyxo

el borracho 02-24-2013 07:50 PM

Ok, Deadlift experts,

I have been doing deadlifts for a few weeks now, and the movement is starting to feel more natural through a lot of my sets, but.... why is it that the first rep always feels like I have bad form and how can I correct whatever is causing that? To be clear, there is no pain, it(the first rep) just feels like I'm doing the exercise wrong and then subsequent reps feel right.

Silock 02-24-2013 08:08 PM

Gonna need a bit more info.

el borracho 02-24-2013 08:16 PM

First rep
- more of a struggle than subsequent reps
- bar drags on shins and/or knees more than subsequent reps
- knees feel less stable than subsequent reps

lewdog 02-24-2013 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by el borracho (Post 9434452)
First rep
- more of a struggle than subsequent reps
- bar drags on shins and/or knees more than subsequent reps
- knees feel less stable than subsequent reps

Biggest is that most people jerk the weight on the first rep, instead of tightening everything first and learning to squeeze the bar off the floor. Also likely that you also aren't pushing the knees back, instead you are pulling the bar forward around the knees.

el borracho 02-24-2013 08:33 PM

Hmmm.... definitely not jerking the weight off the floor. Maybe positioning the knees. What, specifically, can I do to correct this?

lewdog 02-24-2013 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by el borracho (Post 9434576)
Hmmm.... definitely not jerking the weight off the floor. Maybe positioning the knees. What, specifically, can I do to correct this?

Most people don't learn to tighten their posterior chain on the first rep, and at times I still struggle with it. Learn to sit back, tighten your glutes/hams and focus on pulling through your heels to keep a straight bar path while flattening out your knees as the bar hits mid shin.\

What shoes do you deadlift in?

Silock 02-24-2013 08:37 PM

Staying tight would be my first thought.

Something that helps is to think about using your feet to push the bar away from the floor instead of trying to "lift" it, if that makes sense.

el borracho 02-25-2013 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 9434610)
Most people don't learn to tighten their posterior chain on the first rep, and at times I still struggle with it. Learn to sit back, tighten your glutes/hams and focus on pulling through your heels to keep a straight bar path while flattening out your knees as the bar hits mid shin.\

What shoes do you deadlift in?

I have been lifting in regular old sneakers; this morning I took my shoes off completely and lifted in just my socks. Didn't really notice any difference.

el borracho 02-25-2013 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 9434620)
Staying tight would be my first thought.

Something that helps is to think about using your feet to push the bar away from the floor instead of trying to "lift" it, if that makes sense.

Yeah, I have heard that one should try to push the heels through the floor, so I have tried to keep that in mind during the lift. How important is bar speed? It seems like the reps that feel best happen when I move quicker and think less. When I think more and move slower it generally feels like the form deteriorates.

WV 02-25-2013 10:39 AM

Changed my shoes a couple weeks ago and it messed up my right Achilles. I ran and worked through it for about a week then realized I needed to take a break. So I toke a week off from squatting and running, then last week picked squatting back up...bad idea. I still ran this weekend, but it was pretty bad. Going up hill killed me and I had to quit after about 5 miles. My achilles actually swelled a little and got all creaky again if that makes sense. I'm going to skip squatting again this week, perhaps skip running depending on how it feels and hope for the best. Any other advice or anyone else dealt with this? It isn't a bad constant pain...sort of nagging, but certain movements definitely hurt.

Saul Good 02-25-2013 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WV (Post 9436143)
Changed my shoes a couple weeks ago and it messed up my right Achilles. I ran and worked through it for about a week then realized I needed to take a break. So I toke a week off from squatting and running, then last week picked squatting back up...bad idea. I still ran this weekend, but it was pretty bad. Going up hill killed me and I had to quit after about 5 miles. My achilles actually swelled a little and got all creaky again if that makes sense. I'm going to skip squatting again this week, perhaps skip running depending on how it feels and hope for the best. Any other advice or anyone else dealt with this? It isn't a bad constant pain...sort of nagging, but certain movements definitely hurt.

I'm right there with you. Since my last post about my run, my right foot has hurt like hell. I guess this is a good a time as any to be unable to run, though.

WV 02-25-2013 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9436160)
I'm right there with you. Since my last post about my run, my right foot has hurt like hell. I guess this is a good a time as any to be unable to run, though.

I had to run through IT band issues in the beginning, but this seems like a different animal. Rest seems like the best medicine, but I'm stubborn and hate to do that.

Buck 03-15-2013 09:39 AM

So I timed myself and I did 10 pushups in 11 seconds and 25 in 41 seconds.

Interested in how long it takes you fit folks so I can compare.

The last 3 pushups took like 3-4 sec each though, I was struggling.