ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Home and Auto My apartment's about to get smarter (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=274577)

luv 07-16-2013 01:59 PM

My apartment's about to get smarter

Sweet! Now I can be even lazier (which is hard to do in a studio apartment). The property management company of the apartment complex I live in have been making "smart" apartments. The 2BR apartments across the breezeway from me already are. Or at least they all have keypad locks on the doors. Anyway, they contacted me to see if I was interested in paying a few dollars more per month in rent in order to get some really cool stuff. Hell yeah!

http://tlcproperties.com/smart-apartments/

Quote:

Imagine communicating with your apartment by using a conveniently placed touchscreen within your home, or through your smart phone when you are on the go. Control your thermostat, lights, door locks and various other electronics with smart technology. Forgot to turn down your heat before you left for work? No problem! Just log into your apartment from your smart phone and it’s taken care of within seconds. Enjoy greater flexibility and increased piece of mind when you choose to lease a Smart Apartment. Call us today to discuss what a TLC Smart Apartment can do for you!

CrazyPhuD 07-16-2013 02:02 PM

Get used to this......
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/OEu4Iq5KL-Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Discuss Thrower 07-16-2013 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyPhuD (Post 9815622)
Get used to this......
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/OEu4Iq5KL-Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Open the refrigerator doors, Hal..

listopencil 07-16-2013 02:08 PM

Obligatory:

What? You're moving out?

luv 07-16-2013 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 9815633)
Obligatory:

What? You're moving out?

;)

Donger 07-16-2013 02:19 PM

Yeah, web-enabled thermostats are pretty cool. I thought about installing a smart lock on the front door of our mountain home but decided against it.

I don't think I'd do either on an apartment though.

luv 07-16-2013 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 9815651)
Yeah, web-enabled thermostats are pretty cool. I thought about installing a smart lock on the front door of our mountain home but decided against it.

I don't think I'd do either on an apartment though.

I almost said no, just because it seemed pointless to have that control whenever I can take just a few steps in any direction and adjust whatever I need to adjust. It will be nice to unlock the door for someone if I'm away and I need them to feed my cat. That way, I don't have to worry about making extra keys or leaving my key for someone else only to have to get it back from them before I can go home. Thermostat might be helpful in saving a few dollars on my electricity bill. Basically, I'm getting it for the remote features. And it's really cool. I can also schedule maintenance from this touchpad. I can already do that via internet, though.

DTLB58 07-16-2013 02:23 PM

I think that's awesome.

mr. tegu 07-16-2013 02:25 PM

So in addition to pocket dialing, you can pocket burn the place down by turning the oven on. That is much more convenient than having to light the fire and run out really quick.

ptlyon 07-16-2013 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 9815667)
So in addition to pocket dialing, you can pocket burn the place down by turning the oven on. That is much more convenient than having to light the fire and run out really quick.

That's when you turn on your fire extinguisher remotely

mr. tegu 07-16-2013 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptlyon (Post 9815675)
That's when you turn on your fire extinguisher remotely

They've thought of everything!

Donger 07-16-2013 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv (Post 9815662)
I almost said no, just because it seemed pointless to have that control whenever I can take just a few steps in any direction and adjust whatever I need to adjust. It will be nice to unlock the door for someone if I'm away and I need them to feed my cat. That way, I don't have to worry about making extra keys or leaving my key for someone else only to have to get it back from them before I can go home. Thermostat might be helpful in saving a few dollars on my electricity bill. Basically, I'm getting it for the remote features. And it's really cool. I can also schedule maintenance from this touchpad. I can already do that via internet, though.

There was something technically unpleasant about the lock that I considered, but I can't remember what it was.

houstonwhodat 07-16-2013 02:42 PM

With all that technology, somewhere big brother is watching.

houstonwhodat 07-16-2013 02:43 PM

Does your apartment tell your neighbor to STFU and turn their music down?

BlackHelicopters 07-16-2013 02:47 PM

NSA will now monitor your apartment 24/7.