ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Electronics New Apple Tablet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=222464)

The Rick 01-27-2010 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewPhin (Post 6483797)
I would assume that it has the ability to set up different mail accounts, just like the iphone/itouch.

More than just email though...calendars, contacts, bookmarks, etc. :(

AustinChief 01-27-2010 01:49 PM

Wow.. epic fail from what I have seen.

Did they partner with Kotex for this project?

NewChief 01-27-2010 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirk digler (Post 6483840)
It says it has an iBook store and the screen is probably better than the Kindle

The problem, as IJH will tell you, is with the backlighting. LCD (like the itouch/ipod and presumably ipad) strains the eyes in a way that e-readers screens don't. They're neutrally lit. LCDs aren't neutrally lit, and they eventually make your eyes hurt.

NewChief 01-27-2010 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 6483848)
Wow.. epic fail from what I have seen.

Did they partner with Kotex for this project?

The worst part is how they keep selling it as a "magical" device and the most advanced technology... EVAH!!!

They've overhyped it. It might eventually measure up to the hype, but people aren't buying what they're selling at this point.

DMAC 01-27-2010 01:51 PM

I'm just shocked there is no multitasking for the ipad. Can this OS just not handle it or something?

irishjayhawk 01-27-2010 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirk digler (Post 6483840)
It says it has an iBook store and the screen is probably better than the Kindle

Yeah, except they didn't mention a comparison to e-ink once. Sure they're screen beats the kindle. IT PLAYS VIDEO. IT'S COLOR.

For reading, eink >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>x10^3834 LCD/LED/ETC for long reading.

Plus, Kennedy's memoir that they showed is priced at $15. Amazon prices the same at $10.

So, still, this basically muddles it more than anything.

irishjayhawk 01-27-2010 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMAC (Post 6483859)
I'm just shocked there is no multitasking for the ipad. Can this OS just not handle it or something?

Battery life. Batteries aren't there yet.

Pre had issues with that. Of course, that's reliant on the user. But apple knows that most people are stupid. Therefore, they're waiting for battery life to increase and then they'll figure out how to do multitouch multi-tasking.

morphius 01-27-2010 01:55 PM

It is sort of like they took the worst things to leave out from every genre of device.

It is like an ereader that isn't as easy on the eyes, cost more for 3G service, and doesn't support a simple SD card for extra storage.

It is like a netbook being small with a slow processor, yet lacks a USB connection (or even an SD card), external keyboard/mouse, hook up to a larger monitor, less usable storage, and can't run flash.

It is like an Iphone, without the phone, the camera, and the ability to fit into your pocket.

Bane 01-27-2010 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMAC (Post 6483859)

I thought it was supposed to run Snow Leopard,if so its not on the OS.

JD10367 01-27-2010 01:56 PM

Their stock dropped. Apparently, Wall Street was as unimpressed as most of you, LOL.

Again: a big iPod Touch that can actually do more stuff. Nice... but the price diff brings it close enough to PC tablets, notebooks, laptops, etc.,., that I doubt too many people will spring for Apple's version.

WoodDraw 01-27-2010 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 6483827)
I'd need to see this in a store before issuing judgement. I mean, yeah, this is a 1G product.

I don't know where this puts my ebook reader buying. I was game for one. Waiting for this announcement and I'm torn.

Apple needs others to catch up now too. Another reason why at some point you just have to release 1G and let others innovate before moving forward.

As an example, look at this youtube video of SI on a tablet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntyXvLnxyXk

Now that's cool, and the NYT app seemed similar. Once other companies catch up, that will be cool and something that can't happen on with other readers.

The niche it would fill for me would be a great travel device. Before hopping on a plane, download a few magazines I'd normally buy. Catch up on TV or watch a movie. Land, and send an email saying you've landed. Skype with friends and family (why no camera/mic? Blah!). All the essentials (email, maps, entertainment) without the weight of a laptop.

Of course, that's the iPhone and iPod too, just smaller...

Another weird Apple development is the price lines.

iPod Touch: $199/299/399
iPad: $499/599/699 (no 3G)
Macbook: $999 on up

They're really trying to have a mobile device available at every price level.

[edit]

Looks like there is a mic, but no camera. Weird...

dirk digler 01-27-2010 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewPhin (Post 6483849)
The problem, as IJH will tell you, is with the backlighting. LCD (like the itouch/ipod and presumably ipad) strains the eyes in a way that e-readers screens don't. They're neutrally lit. LCDs aren't neutrally lit, and they eventually make your eyes hurt.

That makes sense.

Reaper16 01-27-2010 01:58 PM

iPad? People in Boston won't know which Apple product the other is referring to.

DMAC 01-27-2010 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 6483891)
iPad? People in Boston won't know which Apple product the other is referring to.

ROFL

dirk digler 01-27-2010 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morphius (Post 6483875)
It is sort of like they took the worst things to leave out from every genre of device.

It is like an ereader that isn't as easy on the eyes, cost more for 3G service, and doesn't support a simple SD card for extra storage.

It is like a netbook being small with a slow processor, yet lacks a USB connection (or even an SD card), external keyboard/mouse, hook up to a larger monitor, less usable storage, and can't run flash.

It is like an Iphone, without the phone, the camera, and the ability to fit into your pocket.

Yeah I am definitely not as excited as I was. Ok let's hope MS comes out with the Courier soon I am really excited about that