ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Electronics New Apple Tablet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=222464)

irishjayhawk 01-27-2010 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD10367 (Post 6483881)
Their stock dropped. Apparently, Wall Street was as unimpressed as most of you, LOL.

Again: a big iPod Touch that can actually do more stuff. Nice... but the price diff brings it close enough to PC tablets, notebooks, laptops, etc.,., that I doubt too many people will spring for Apple's version.

The stock would have gone down no matter what. Hype inflated it. It comes back down.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirk digler (Post 6483901)
Yeah I am definitely not as excited as I was. Ok let's hope MS comes out with the Courier soon I am really excited about that

AFAIK, Courier is class A vaporware. Announced in concept (they've done this many times over the years, especially in video form).

I'm not sure why people salivate over Microsoft products until they've actually shipped them. Apple announces but ships within 3 months generally. Like clockwork. Microsoft does not.

morphius 01-27-2010 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirk digler (Post 6483901)
Yeah I am definitely not as excited as I was. Ok let's hope MS comes out with the Courier soon I am really excited about that

It is honestly what I thought it was going to be. Though I did sort of expect them to do the nice thing and add USB or SD card. I mean really, you give people a nice big screen on a mobile device, why not let them copy their pictures directly from their camera to show people?

dirk digler 01-27-2010 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 6483934)
AFAIK, Courier is class A vaporware. Announced in concept (they've done this many times over the years, especially in video form).

I'm not sure why people salivate over Microsoft products until they've actually shipped them. Apple announces but ships within 3 months generally. Like clockwork. Microsoft does not.

I wouldn't call it vaporware since they have never officially said it was a legit product or anything other than a concept.

irishjayhawk 01-27-2010 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirk digler (Post 6483958)
I wouldn't call it vaporware since they have never officially said it was a legit product or anything other than a concept.

Vaporware describes a product, usually software, that has been announced by a developer during or before its development, if there is significant doubt whether the product will actually be released.

irishjayhawk 01-27-2010 02:16 PM

Also, Apple hates cords yet won't drop this iTunes/iPod/iPad USB cord. Wireless sync lacking, still?

dirk digler 01-27-2010 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morphius (Post 6483940)
It is honestly what I thought it was going to be. Though I did sort of expect them to do the nice thing and add USB or SD card. I mean really, you give people a nice big screen on a mobile device, why not let them copy their pictures directly from their camera to show people?

According to their website it has a iPad Camera Connection kit you can buy separately to transfer photos.

http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/

dirk digler 01-27-2010 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 6483963)
Vaporware describes a product, usually software, that has been announced by a developer during or before its development, if there is significant doubt whether the product will actually be released.

I know. They never have officially said it exists that I know of.

irishjayhawk 01-27-2010 02:18 PM

If it had a front facing camera, I think it'd be a much bigger success. Coffee shop skyping on a media device? Killer, i bet.

DMAC 01-27-2010 02:22 PM

Why does my iphone all of the sudden look thick?

morphius 01-27-2010 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirk digler (Post 6483966)
According to their website it has a iPad Camera Connection kit you can buy separately to transfer photos.

http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/

LOL! I guess they do have that and a terrible keyboard. I guess this way they can probably keep people from using it as extra storage, and make people carry an extra crappy thing around with their ipad and camera...

DMAC 01-27-2010 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bane_58 (Post 6483876)
I thought it was supposed to run Snow Leopard,if so its not on the OS.

It's running Iphone 3.2 OS.

WoodDraw 01-27-2010 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morphius (Post 6483989)
LOL! I guess they do have that and a terrible keyboard. I guess this way they can probably keep people from using it as extra storage, and make people carry an extra crappy thing around with their ipad and camera...

Yeah, some weird design decisions.

No SD card
No camera
No multitasking
No horizontal docking

I think people were hoping for an OS X tablet, and instead ended up with a big iPhone. Not revolutionary, and barely evolutionary.

Pitt Gorilla 01-27-2010 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laz (Post 6483765)
at my doctor's office they actually carrier around a laptop from office to office to document the visit of each patient and have a paperless history right there.

something like this would be great for them ... especially a booklet with touch screen writing.

I was just thinking the same thing.

dirk digler 01-27-2010 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morphius (Post 6483989)

Yep. They should at least have an SD card slot, 1 usb slot, and a camera.

irishjayhawk 01-27-2010 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WoodDraw (Post 6484006)
Yeah, some weird design decisions.

No SD card
No camera
No multitasking
No horizontal docking

I think people were hoping for an OS X tablet, and instead ended up with a big iPhone. Not revolutionary, and barely evolutionary.

Yep.

For now, I can't tell if that's good or bad. I think the reason it isn't OSX tablet is because of battery life. But that's also a sideshow. I think they're merging the two very slowly.