ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Chiefs are about to witness what a first-round QB can do (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=267149)

Fish 11-28-2012 10:00 AM

http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/1...8607761790.jpg

Baby Lee 11-28-2012 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhillyChiefFan (Post 9158784)
Wasn't Griffin kind of lambasted as a "system QB" and "a spread QB"? I thought I remembed analysts saying that they thought he was a risky because he was a system QB. Time will tell, but he's done pretty well so far and has outplayed Luck as far as TD/INT ratio.

I have watched Smith and have been impressed. Granted I'm no analyst, but the kid has 3600 yds 37 TD 5 INT and is averaging 327 yd/gm and completing 70% of his passes. Not much of a defense to help him win games.

Put Smith under center with Charles, Moeaki, Bowe and a speed WR...I'd like to see what the kid could do.

Don't know where you got that, the only adjectives I recall were intelligent, technician, precise and fast.

The Franchise 11-28-2012 11:42 AM

Here was Walterfootball's write up on Griffin back in August of 2011.

Quote:

8/18/11: Robert Griffin III is a sleeper prospect who could surprise many in 2011. Baylor is busy promoting him as a Heisman candidate, and the junior signal caller is an exciting playmaker.

Last year, Griffin completed 67 percent of his passes for 3,501 yards with 22 touchdowns and eight interceptions. He also ran for 635 yards on 149 carries (4.3 average) with eight touchdowns. Griffin was limited to only three games in 2009 due to a season-ending knee injury, but he looked strong and fast in 2010. Griffin carried the Bears to a seven-win season and being a formidable opponent on Saturdays. He combines a strong arm with his top-notch speed and mobility. Griffin's definitely a player to keep an eye on.
Here is his write up on Smith in August of this year.

Quote:

8/16/12: Smith completed 65 percent of his passes for 2,763 yards with 24 touchdowns and seven interceptions in his first year as a starter in 2010. He made big improvements in year two and produced an excellent junior season for the Mountaineers. He completed 66 percent of his passes for 4,385 yards with 31 touchdowns and seven interceptions. Smith also ran for 180 yards and two scores. The junior played his heart out against LSU's talented defense with 463 yards passing.

Smith shows the arm to be quality passer with some natural accuracy. He has earned a reputation as a very hard worker and true student of the game who puts in a ton of time in the film room. Smith is a good athlete who could fit well in a West Coast offense. He could earn first-round consideration.

PhillyChiefFan 11-28-2012 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9159163)
Here was Walterfootball's write up on Griffin back in August of 2011.

Here is his write up on Smith in August of this year.

To me, those write ups look similar, though I'm surprised by the "he could earn first-round consideration". I thought it was pretty much a guarentee...

Am I just missing something about Smith? I was pretty impressed with his game management, his leadership and his play.

Does anyone else get the feeling like since there is no QB competition for the top spot this season, that the media/anaylsts are downplaying Smith's ability?

I feel like when there aren't your Luck/Griffin or Rivers/Manning type competition that it's downplayed. Maybe that will change after the bowls and the combine though...

The Franchise 11-28-2012 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhillyChiefFan (Post 9159214)
To me, those write ups look similar.

Am I just missing something about Smith? I was pretty impressed with his game management, his leadership and his play.

Does anyone else get the feeling like since there is no QB competition for the top spot this season, that the media/anaylsts are downplaying Smith's ability?

I feel like when there aren't your Luck/Griffin or Rivers/Manning type competition that it's downplayed. Maybe that will change after the bowls and the combine though...

I think all of this is because of the "Greatest QBs of the last 10 years" hangover. You had Luck and Griffin last year....and none of the QBs this year are in that caliber. It doesn't mean that they suck but the media has no one exciting to talk about. I think if West Virginia was winning more games.....Geno Smith would be talked about as being that first overall prospect.

PhillyChiefFan 11-28-2012 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9159226)
I think all of this is because of the "Greatest QBs of the last 10 years" hangover. You had Luck and Griffin last year....and none of the QBs this year are in that caliber. It doesn't mean that they suck but the media has no one exciting to talk about. I think if West Virginia was winning more games.....Geno Smith would be talked about as being that first overall prospect.

Definitely agree with that.

Gives me hope that they aren't making a big deal out of Smith. I went back and found this about Jamarcus Russell:

"JaMarcus Russell is going to immediately energize that fanbase, that football team -- on the practice field, in that locker room. Three years from now you could be looking at a guy that's certainly one of the elite top five quarterbacks in this league. ...You're talking about a 2-3 year period once he's under center. Look out because the skill level that he has is certainly John Elway-like." ROFL

-- ESPN's Mel Kiper

McShay said similar things.

Analyst's don't know shit. I have always wondered if they are even taken seriously in front offices around the league or if they are pretty much just recognized as time fillers on ESPN between January and April...

J Diddy 11-28-2012 12:43 PM

I'm just going to throw out the fact that a first round quarterback is going to be starting for us. Either way a former first round pick is going to win.

bevischief 11-28-2012 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gochiefss (Post 9158938)
He'll be going aganist one of the worst D's in the NFL in terms of yards given up per play, Cam will be fine

He will a career day.

bevischief 11-28-2012 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 9158950)

ROFL

PhillyChiefFan 11-28-2012 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Diddy (Post 9159348)
I'm just going to throw out the fact that a first round quarterback is going to be starting for us. Either way a former first round pick is going to win.

you with your facts...

:D

Simply Red 11-28-2012 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9158755)
NEWTON?!

****ING NEWTON?

Both Smith AND Wilson > Newton. That sorry asshole still doesn't know how to read his own ****ing playbook, much less understand the opposing defense's playbook.

**** you, Covitz.

http://i.imgur.com/vbq2Y.gif

jd1020 12-03-2012 05:12 AM

Whelp. That idea backfired.

New World Order 12-03-2012 05:51 AM

My worst fear will come true. KC is going to somehow squeeze out a couple of more wins and we will go with Quinn next year. Fat Scott, after yet another lap band surgery will talk about Quinn's mental toughness and resiliency during the preseason, then that will be followed by a couple of flat passes from quinn followed by a pick 6, they will abruptly cut to commercial break while fat scott goes to Donut King.

Ah yes, I can see it now.

Frosty 12-03-2012 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 9158879)
I'm a little worried about the game this week. It's the second of back to back road games for Carolina plus Cam tends to run hot or cold. He was hot on MNF so this could be his cold week. Also, based on the MNF game, Charles could go for 200 yards on that defense.

:doh!:

keg in kc 12-03-2012 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9159226)
I think if West Virginia was winning more games.....Geno Smith would be talked about as being that first overall prospect.

I think if WVU had 2 or 3 losses instead of 5, he'd be the Heisman winner. And I think he probably will be talked about as the first overall prospect once the workouts start next year.