ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Poop Engineers (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=282416)

BullJunkandIron 03-19-2014 10:17 PM

Missouri State Control Systems Engineer

MagicHef 03-19-2014 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief_For_Life58 (Post 10503368)
what's wrong with h town?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Armadillo Skin (Post 10503382)
You can't put a price tag on piece of mind. The summers are brutal, anything outside that doesn't rust rots, traffic and to many people.

This. Some people like it here, but I am not one of them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief_For_Life58 (Post 10503371)
are you staying in the o&g industry?

Nope, construction equipment.

Rain Man 03-19-2014 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prhom (Post 10503383)
The interesting thing about the mining industry is that there are companies whose soul purpose is to find deposits and develop them to a point where a bigger company buys it and builds a mine. These companies are called junior mining companies, the buyers are called majors. My company is a junior and have no real intent to ever mine anything. We just find the deposits that will become mines. In terms of what we look for, it is mostly gold, silver and copper deposits that we look for.

I know you. You're the guy who leads the donkey out of the mountains and yells, "There's gold in them thar hills!"

Chief_For_Life58 03-19-2014 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prhom (Post 10503383)
The interesting thing about the mining industry is that there are companies whose soul purpose is to find deposits and develop them to a point where a bigger company buys it and builds a mine. These companies are called junior mining companies, the buyers are called majors. My company is a junior and have no real intent to ever mine anything. We just find the deposits that will become mines. In terms of what we look for, it is mostly gold, silver and copper deposits that we look for.

I would rep you for the great answer but i'm on my phone and it doesn't let me. Sounds awesome though

DementedLogic 03-19-2014 10:33 PM

Graduating with my BSME on Friday, but headed towards project management instead of design engineering.

prhom 03-19-2014 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chieficus (Post 10503367)
Curious: did you do Rolla? Before my junior year, I transferred to Oklahoma and got a degree in meteorology (my first love) instead, but I'm 33 as well and did UMR August '98 - May '00.

Nah, I went to Colorado School of Mines for my degree. I would have been a year behind you anyway. A good friend of mine went to OU for a masters in geophysics after CSM.

prhom 03-19-2014 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 10503394)
I know you. You're the guy who leads the donkey out of the mountains and yells, "There's gold in them thar hills!"

Yeah, we've talked about engineering before. Our offices are pretty close to yours downtown.

Chieficus 03-19-2014 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prhom (Post 10503405)
Nah, I went to Colorado School of Mines for my degree. I would have been a year behind you anyway. A good friend of mine went to OU for a masters in geophysics after CSM.

Cool... You mentioned Rolla, so thought I'd check. CSM's pretty hefty as well (probably more so) from what I understand.

prhom 03-19-2014 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief_For_Life58 (Post 10503400)
I would rep you for the great answer but i'm on my phone and it doesn't let me. Sounds awesome though

No worries, just look it up and consider it. Of course, I'll tell you to check out my alma mater Colorado School of Mines. It's worth a look, especially if you like geology.

Rain Man 03-19-2014 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prhom (Post 10503411)
Yeah, we've talked about engineering before. Our offices are pretty close to yours downtown.

Maybe even closer. Aren't you on the east end of the mall? We moved down that way.

prhom 03-19-2014 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chieficus (Post 10503413)
Cool... You mentioned Rolla, so thought I'd check. CSM's pretty hefty as well (probably more so) from what I understand.

I'm pretty partial to CSM, of course, but UMR is a good school. I figured the OP was in MO (this being a Chiefs board) and may be more inclined to go to school in state. Your education only really helps you get the first job. Where you go from there is up to you.

prhom 03-19-2014 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 10503429)
Maybe even closer. Aren't you on the east end of the mall? We moved down that way.

Yeah, we just moved across the street last November. We're at Lincoln and 17th.

Chief_For_Life58 03-19-2014 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prhom (Post 10503417)
No worries, just look it up and consider it. Of course, I'll tell you to check out my alma mater Colorado School of Mines. It's worth a look, especially if you like geology.

I'd love to go to mines but im already more than half way done at ku

prhom 03-19-2014 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief_For_Life58 (Post 10503435)
I'd love to go to mines but im already more than half way done at ku

Well shit, I'm too late! Best of luck, and keep up the good work. This country needs more engineers.

Garcia Bronco 03-19-2014 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trivers (Post 10503068)
ex-aerospace. Now startups.

Rolla.

What do engineers use for birth control?

Their personalities

To the optimist the glass is half-full.
To the pessimist the glass is half-empty.
To the engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.