ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Draft Day (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=282953)

Pasta Little Brioni 04-12-2014 09:29 AM

Draft Day

Did anyone see this ROFL?

In58men 04-12-2014 09:52 AM

I'm going tomorrow. I'm hearing it's pretty good, so I'm not sure why you're ****ing laughing.

jd1020 04-12-2014 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inmem58 (Post 10557494)
I'm going tomorrow. I'm hearing it's pretty good, so I'm not sure why you're ****ing laughing.

I really havent looked much into this movie but isn't it focused on the Browns draft day?

Probably why...

Pasta Little Brioni 04-12-2014 10:08 AM

There is a reason for it

Hammock Parties 04-12-2014 10:19 AM

It's actually decent, holy shit. 62% on RT.

I may have to pirate.

BWillie 04-12-2014 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Douche Baggins (Post 10557526)
It's actually decent, holy shit. 62% on RT.

I may have to pirate.

Criminal and heathen

Sure-Oz 04-12-2014 10:51 AM

I'll rent this later

Deberg_1990 04-12-2014 10:52 AM

Rental or Netflix

hometeam 04-12-2014 11:33 AM

Im going to go see it tonight. Co-workers went and saw it last night and said it was very good

Passepartout 04-12-2014 11:39 AM

Like Kevin Costner so may go and see it!

RealSNR 04-12-2014 12:35 PM

Saw it last night. ****ing hated it.

(No spoilers below... I'll put them in tags when I do come across plot points)

The entire movie just seethes NFL propaganda put out by the league. They're capitalizing on one of the wildest and most popular offseason events in all of sports to make more money. I get that. Whatever. It's fine. I knew they'd get Goodell, Chris Berman, and all these draft figureheads to play themselves as well. That wasn't what annoyed me.

What annoyed me was the way they told the story to dumb down the product-- it's just more of the same from this shithole league. The story revolves around three guys the Browns are wanting to draft- an electric RB (oh the irony of the Browns taking a RB with a high draft pick) a pass rusher who loves his family, and a blue chip QB. Guess what they do? Roll out the human interest stories to give these players depth, and then match them up with Kevin Costner's 12-hour emotional change he undergoes. It praises humbleness and passion at the complete expense of logic. In other words-- it's reaching out to women and other demographics of people that just only kind of like football because they don't understand shit about how it works.

And I'm not just saying that as some nutty conspiracy theorist. Goodell gets onto the stage at Radio Music Hall to start the draft up. Guess what happens? The crowd cheers him. ARE YOU SHITTING ME? That would never ****ing happen. You go into this KNOWING the NFL had a hand in making this movie, but you never expected them to hit you over the head with this kind of bullshit propaganda at the expense of how events would REALLY go. This was an opportunity for the NFL to take the opportunity to laugh at itself a bit. It still would have resonated with non-hardcore football fans, but it also would have drawn in some appreciation from people who are getting sick of the NFL's shit. They didn't have to bring up concussions or anything like that. Just... boo Goodell. Make some of these owners look like real humans instead of gods.

Do something other than put out a dialogue of cheesy lines everybody has heard before. My god, the dialogue in this movie is horrifying. I swear, there's a moment when Denis Leary uses the "He looks like Tarzan but plays like Jane" line, and there's a PAUSE in the dialogue before Kevin Costner's line, probably because Reitman thought, "Let's give the audience some time to giggle at that clever and totally original turn of phrase!"

Oh, and did I mention the entire first half of this movie is a boring piece of shit?

Worst of all is the plot. Here are the spoilers:

Spoiler!

It didn't have to be 100% realistic. I get that. But for the love of God, try not to turn this into a flaming piece of shit. You're already making a MOVIE about the NFL draft, an entertainment event that involves people walking up to podiums and announcing picks. The setting is an NFL war room. You're already very limited in the plot points you can generate to make things interesting without resorting to tiresome cliches. Either you make the characters deep and memorable or you make it boring and draft-like. You DON'T mix the two.

Hammock Parties 04-12-2014 12:57 PM

Now I really want to see it. LMAO

RealSNR 04-12-2014 01:07 PM

Oh, and they also threw in this dorky first-day intern who works for the Browns as comic relief. Count Dooku stars as the Browns' owner, so clearly they thought this movie needed a Jar Jar Binks. Well, there's your Jar Jar.

Hammock Parties 04-12-2014 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 10557859)
Oh, and they also threw in this dorky first-day intern who works for the Browns as comic relief. Count Dooku stars as the Browns' owner, so clearly they thought this movie needed a Jar Jar Binks. Well, there's your Jar Jar.

Outstanding.

Pasta Little Brioni 04-12-2014 02:07 PM

SNR review is spot on which is why I was laughing. ..that and the
Spoiler!