ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life If you were me.. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=275051)

Discuss Thrower 08-03-2013 06:33 PM

If you were me..

and have the listed options in the poll, what do you do? I already have a bachelor of arts and have been applying to jobs but haven't interviewed for anything since April.. the no interviews thing is a product of applying for jobs that only require a HS diploma and therefore am "overqualified" for. My longest stint of employment is as a freelance sports reporter and have two or three short internships.

I've reached this point because I feel that every month I'm not employed in a legitimate field, the greater the chances I'll never be able to find a job.

Barring a total economic collapse, funding is not an issue.

Even though I'd be discouraged, I won't be surprised if I get lots of CP flaming for this poll. It's only natural but I'd still like to hear opinions from people more experienced than I.

Simply Red 08-03-2013 06:40 PM

Dane has a six car car-port bud. The weather is nice though.

KCUnited 08-03-2013 06:43 PM

You're overqualified with a BA of arts? Ok. I didn't know that existed. Anyway, the market is saturated with worthless degrees. My employer is requiring current graduate courses for 65k, and that's with work experience, which makes me chuckle. Start making money now and use your skills to rise.

mikey23545 08-03-2013 06:44 PM

Several positions should be opening up at CNN soon...

Discuss Thrower 08-03-2013 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 9856717)
You're overqualified with a BA of arts? Ok. I didn't know that existed. Anyway, the market is saturated with worthless degrees. My employer is requiring current graduate courses for 65k, and that's with work experience, which makes me chuckle. Start making money now and use your skills to rise.

Everyone hates English degrees apparently. Guess they don't want someone who can pull out arguments out of their ass using literary sources.

EDIT: Also, I'm 100% eschewing the fact I can get a degree in journalism in December because I'm not a masochist. Freelance work is just okay with me as a side job; being a salaried worker in the field that pays minimum wage for 50+ hours of work a week with absolute no job security has no appeal for me.

Brock 08-03-2013 06:45 PM

What are your current job skills?

Dunerdr 08-03-2013 06:46 PM

I would choose the field thats likely to be the least shitty in the event of another huge economic duece.

Lex Luthor 08-03-2013 06:46 PM

If you have an interest in the computer field and an aptitude for it, it's a much more marketable skill than just about any Bachelor of Arts degree. But don't do it just to have marketable skills: If you don't like it or you suck at it, you'll be miserable.

Have you ever thought about going into sales? If you're good at it, you can make bank. Best of all would be to get computer training and then sell computer hardware and software in the corporate world. Those guys do very well.

Discuss Thrower 08-03-2013 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 9856723)
What are your current job skills?

Competent at writing on deadline.. I don't mind researching text for any particular reason.

The job I interviewed for was in insurance sales, I got into the pool of the last 2-3 candidates even though I have zero sales experience.

keg in kc 08-03-2013 06:50 PM

Find something you enjoy doing. Do that.

KCUnited 08-03-2013 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower (Post 9856722)
Everyone hates English degrees apparently. Guess they don't want someone who can pull out arguments out of their ass using literary sources.

EDIT: Also, I'm 100% eschewing the fact I can get a degree in journalism in December because I'm not a masochist. Freelance work is just okay with me as a side job; being a salaried worker in the field that pays minimum wage for 50+ hours of work a week with absolute no job security has no appeal for me.

Honestly, and no offense, they're likely turned off by someone who's already wasted years a $$$ of their life. Start making money now, IMO.

Brock 08-03-2013 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower (Post 9856728)
Competent at writing on deadline.. I don't mind researching text for any particular reason.

Yeah, I'd go back to school. Look into getting some kind of cert with a program called SAP. Software used worldwide by most big companies and they always have trouble finding people who know how to make it work. Your writing skills aren't a waste though. I'm amazed at the number of people seeking jobs that write like tards.

Discuss Thrower 08-03-2013 09:55 PM

Also I have limited experience in working at a bar cleaning and preparing frozen food.

mr. tegu 08-03-2013 10:07 PM

Be an actuary.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 08-03-2013 10:23 PM

Join the military