ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Video Games ****The OFFICIAL PS3 general discussion thread**** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=180279)

Valiant 02-17-2008 01:32 AM

The PS2 flew off the shelfs and had a killer lineup just a year later completely opposite of PS3.. By the time they catch up they will be launching their next system.. I hope they do not pull a N64 or gamecube and keep pushing back the games until they are put on a new system..

http://www.engadget.com/2006/12/04/d...nd-the-corner/

Don't bother picking up a PS3, PS4 is right around the corner

In response to some fairly bogus claims by an "analyst" last week, Sony has come out of the woodwork to state that yes, it is indeed planning to build a PlayStation 4, but not until at least 2010. Therefore, by taking this quote completely out of context, we have deduced that there's a mere three year wait for some next-next-gen goodness, which can be easily tide over by FFXII, GTA and SotC. However, were we to actually do our job, we would let you know that in the interim Sony is planning on firmware upgrades for the PS3 to expand media center capability, allow third party applications, and to support third party controllers similar to that of the Wii. "To say that there will be no PS4 because of a management change is a bit far fetched," says Paul Holman. He also went on to mention the possibility of a keyboard and mouse bundle with the PS3, predict at least 20 new games for the European PS3 launch, and to tout that schmancy Cell processor under the hood. We're standing by for a PR cleanup crew any moment now.

3 years

Valiant 02-17-2008 01:32 AM

Man I really do not like this new quote and edit system..

Eleazar 02-17-2008 09:05 AM

Quote:

According to Reuters, iSuppli estimates that this recent momentum will indeed continue through 2008, and Sony should sell around 10.2 million units worldwide before the year is over. This would effectively double the installed user base (it would rise to over 20 million), and in the long-term, they believe the PS3 will have a user base of around 38.4 million by 2011. If this happens, and their other projections for the 360 and Wii are accurate, the PlayStation 3 will be the "industry leader" in total installed units. The Wii should maintain its lead in 2008 by selling 12.2 million units, but it's no surprise to anyone that the overall Nintendo momentum has begun to slow a bit. Microsoft had a one-year head-start, but at this point, many predictions say the PS3 will eventually surpass the 360.

We wonder if iSuppli is taking the blockbuster PS3 software into account; the titles that should drop this year, like Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots, Gran Turismo 5, Killzone 2, Final Fantasy XIII, etc. All of these are bona-fide system sellers, so they'll definitely help move PS3 units. Either way, the system is definitely poised to make a big run in 2008.
q

xbarretx 02-17-2008 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valiant (Post 4589008)
Man I really do not like this new quote and edit system..

yeah its really different. thanks for that link, im sure

and yes PR cleanup is good sometimes ;)

bottom line is im happy with my ps3, im just having issues deciding on the games. :cuss:

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Jack-...le-72741.shtml

i guess time will tell what a watch wont eh? :toast:

in regards to your article "I think that they are talking about starting to make a ps4 in 2010 so it'll take atleast another 5-10 yrs so itll b out in like 2015-2020-very long time."

Buck 02-18-2008 11:16 PM

Anyone down for a game of COD4?

My name on there is BuckinKaeding

kcxiv 02-18-2008 11:24 PM

Welp, i made up my mind. I am getting a PS3 instead of the Wii. I am mostly getting it because the format war is pretty much over. I am trying to buy my neighbors bro's PS3 as he has the 80 gig that plays PS1 and PS2 games. He doesnt EVER use it, becuase well, he's gone for a bit. lol

Buck 02-18-2008 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcxiv (Post 4591477)
Welp, i made up my mind. I am getting a PS3 instead of the Wii. I am mostly getting it because the format war is pretty much over. I am trying to buy my neighbors bro's PS3 as he has the 80 gig that plays PS1 and PS2 games. He doesnt EVER use it, becuase well, he's gone for a bit. lol

Well supposedly they are goin down $100 w/in 6 months or something like that if you want one new.

kcxiv 02-18-2008 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cro (Post 4591480)
Well supposedly they are goin down $100 w/in 6 months or something like that if you want one new.

I want his, becuase first off its new. 2ndly he doesnt use it as he may be in prison for a bit. lol 3rdly, his has the ps1 and ps2 emulator chip inside. 6 months is to long of a wait when i want to get it now. lol

CrazyPhuD 02-19-2008 04:25 AM

If it's the 80GB PS3 it DOESN'T have the emulator chip in it. Only the 60GB has the PS2 chipset which guarantees compatibility. The 80GB only has software compatibility and doesn't work for all games.

Eleazar 02-19-2008 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcxiv (Post 4591521)
I want his, becuase first off its new. 2ndly he doesnt use it as he may be in prison for a bit. lol 3rdly, his has the ps1 and ps2 emulator chip inside. 6 months is to long of a wait when i want to get it now. lol

You can find whether a game is backward compatible here:

http://www.us.playstation.com/Support/CompatibleStatus

xbarretx 02-19-2008 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cro (Post 4591473)
Anyone down for a game of COD4?

My name on there is BuckinKaeding

i just started playing it last night and OMG! that is some of the best looking, most entertaining, and well thought out games ever!

once i beat the campaign mode ill start doing some multi and ill look for ya :)

TinyEvel 02-19-2008 12:45 PM

HEre's my response to some of the above threads:

Valiant: PS4? Not likely on shelves for another 7 to 9 years at best. PS2 was around, what, 10 years before PS3? They make these things to go way into the future, that;s why PS3 got off to the slow start: ahead of its time. Now looking back 18 months, you can see that.
The 60g actually had hardware for backwards compatibility. That's why it's 100 percent compatible with PS2. The 80G has a chip, but they activate all the most popular games for that. So, you could say that basically any game you'd WANT to play, chances are it will work. check the link in Cochise's response to see if a specific title is compatible. Also, as new games come out they add them through system updates.

As far as another price drop is concerned? I wouldn't hold my breath. They already dropped them each $100, and the 60G was never reduced in price after it was discontinued, so even if they come out with new versions, I would not think the 40/80G will be dropped to clear them out. THe margins on consoles are not very high.

Valiant 02-19-2008 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TinyEvel (Post 4592162)
HEre's my response to some of the above threads:

Valiant: PS4? Not likely on shelves for another 7 to 9 years at best. PS2 was around, what, 10 years before PS3? They make these things to go way into the future, that;s why PS3 got off to the slow start: ahead of its time. Now looking back 18 months, you can see that.
The 60g actually had hardware for backwards compatibility. That's why it's 100 percent compatible with PS2. The 80G has a chip, but they activate all the most popular games for that. So, you could say that basically any game you'd WANT to play, chances are it will work. check the link in Cochise's response to see if a specific title is compatible. Also, as new games come out they add them through system updates.

As far as another price drop is concerned? I wouldn't hold my breath. They already dropped them each $100, and the 60G was never reduced in price after it was discontinued, so even if they come out with new versions, I would not think the 40/80G will be dropped to clear them out. THe margins on consoles are not very high.

Maybe you can answer this.. Why is Sony getting rid of the 80gig?? We no longer sell the 80gig and I cannot find another skew for anything else coming in new to replace it.. So is Sony giving up on backwards compatibility to keep the price outlook low to consumers or decided that most do not use it?? I heard rumors of a 120gig version but could not find any skews/model numbers or upc's in our companies ordering database..

Eleazar 02-19-2008 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valiant (Post 4592347)
Maybe you can answer this.. Why is Sony getting rid of the 80gig?? We no longer sell the 80gig and I cannot find another skew for anything else coming in new to replace it.. So is Sony giving up on backwards compatibility to keep the price outlook low to consumers or decided that most do not use it??

Since it's only software compatibility, how would it save them any substantial amount of money?

My guess is that research showed no one was using it.

Deberg_1990 02-19-2008 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TinyEvel (Post 4592162)
. PS2 was around, what, 10 years before PS3?

Not quite.

PS2 came out late 2000.

PS3 came out late 2006

PS1 came out fall 1995

So it appears the span between systems is about 5-6 years.