ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Andy blames himself, not Alex, for Chiefs' sputtering offense (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=277519)

Brock 10-16-2013 05:11 PM

And how to fix it.

TripleThreat 10-16-2013 05:18 PM

Tom Brady's qbr rating was lower than Alex's before this last week, now Im not sure but , Could it be from no welker? No gronk, hernand, or a true #1 wr? Maybe... If you look at the elite qbs they have a shit ton of weapons to throw to on offense and then have shit defenses so they have to throw all game and put up shiny stats.. We can get rid of Hali, berry, Poe, Johnson, and then sign a shit load of offensive weapons and put a bunch of plugs in on defense.... People need to learn you can't have a elite d and a elite o. And if you do it doesn't last for long once u have to resign the players that broke out or rookies that exceeded expectations...

Brock 10-16-2013 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripleThreat (Post 10092180)
Tom Brady's qbr rating was lower than Alex's before this last week, now Im not sure but , Could it be from no welker? No gronk, hernand, or a true #1 wr? Maybe... If you look at the elite qbs they have a shit ton of weapons to throw to on offense and then have shit defenses so they have to throw all game and put up shiny stats.. We can get rid of Hali, berry, Poe, Johnson, and then sign a shit load of offensive weapons and put a bunch of plugs in on defense.... People need to learn you can't have a elite d and a elite o. And if you do it doesn't last for long once u have to resign the players that broke out or rookies that exceeded expectations...

Can we at least have an okay offense? Because there's no ****ing reason we shouldn't.

DaneMcCloud 10-16-2013 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 10092195)
Can we at least have an okay offense? Because there's no ****ing reason we shouldn't.

The Chiefs were last in scoring in 2012 with an average of 13.2 points.

While they added Alex Smith and Donnie Avery, Fasano hasn't played in 4+ games, Kelce's on IR and the interior of the offensive line has been awful.

Yet, they're scoring 19.2 points a game this year offensively, which is a 32% increase over last year.

They're improving, but they've got a long way to go before they're above average.

KCUnited 10-16-2013 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripleThreat (Post 10092180)

TripleThreat 10-16-2013 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 10092195)

Wtf? We do have a "ok" offense.. It's far from spetacular at this point in time but to say its not even a ok offense is just having too much wool pulled over your eyes.. That said. This is a entire new coaching staff. New qb. New players. Young players. 6 games in... I wasn't expecting a shut out offense, but I am expecting one come playoffs. It's wayyy to premature to say our o sucks after just 6 games under the circumstances. Plus we are 6 and 0 be thankful our "shitty" offense isn't giving the ball away to cost us games and that our "shitty" offense is putting together great 4th quarter drives to shut out games. But your right our offense isn't even in the "ok " category.

Floridafan 10-16-2013 05:38 PM

Forgive my ignorance, I was a wrestler in high school and never played football but my observations thus far are that Alex Smith doesn't seem to have much time to find an open receiver and they are not getting open as quickly as the Donkeys receivers do. Fisher is supposed to be extremely talented left tackle but he was switched to the right side and is having to learn to lead with the other foot etc.. He seems to be a swinging door and getting beat way too often. Maybe he isn't over his old injuries just yet.

I think that Reid won so many games because he does understand how to run an effective WCO and players will grow into their roles as they play more. Am I being an idiot for thinking we need help on the O line and need to use Hemmingway more? Please be gentle with me in your reply's as I said I am a neofyte when it comes to the finer points of "football" knowledge.

beach tribe 10-16-2013 05:41 PM

I hope they can get this fixed. If not I could see Bray popping a Kaep in Smiths ass next season.

You noticed they havent paid Smith like Pioli did Cassel. If they really thought Smith was the unquestioned answer he might have gotten extended.

beach tribe 10-16-2013 05:43 PM

I wonder how much Bray gets to practice against our 1s?

Ace Gunner 10-16-2013 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beach tribe (Post 10092239)
I wonder how much Bray gets to practice against our 1s?

how about zero :)

here's hoping Bray can play in this league:toast:

keg in kc 10-16-2013 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripleThreat (Post 10092208)
Wtf? We do have a "ok" offense.. It's far from spetacular at this point in time but to say its not even a ok offense is just having too much wool pulled over your eyes..

This is apparently an "ok" offense: 25th in yards, 26th in yards per play, 27th in completion percentage, 21st in 1st downs, 27th in 3rd down percentage, 21st in penalties, 26th in passing yardage, 28th in yards per pass, 21st in first downs via the pass, 29th in passing 1st down percentage, 21st in qb rating. On the plus side they're 9th in rushing, 12th in rushing yards/game, 12th in rushing average, 10th in rushing first downs and 13th in rushing 1st down percentage.

I guess that's "ok" for some, but I don't see an offense that's good at anything. They're 'ok,' but not great, running the ball, and they're bottom third in every passing category aside from interceptions. This being a team that's pass-first....

The few statistical categories where they're close to or at the top of the league, scoring (9th), time of possession (7th) and turnovers (1st) are primarily attributable to the defense, who's leading the league in TD returns, sacks, passes defensed, 3rd down percentage and turnovers forced.

keg in kc 10-16-2013 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 10092109)
If THIS team could score "all the points in the world", they'd be damn near unbeatable.

Hell, if the offense could score 23 or 24 points a game, they'd be damn near unbeatable. Because the defensive scores would take that up around 30.

Similarly, if the offense could convert first downs and sustain drives, they'd be damn near unbeatable.

That's what people who think talking about this stuff is just us "bitching" don't get: what we're really saying is that we see the possibilities for what this team can actually be.

And they could or perhaps should be better than they are. Even sitting at 6-0 there's tons and tons of room for improvement. The sky could really be the limit, if the offense ever begins to click.

Anyong Bluth 10-16-2013 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mavericks Ace (Post 10091011)
This offense needs a game manager, because the talent on it after Bowe, and Charles, is pathetic. And the only people who think it is anything more than that, are blind homer Chief fans, or Alex Smith haters......

Well, I'm at least happy Andy isn't burying his head in the sand.
If Smith was even playing as well as he was last year before being injured, this offense would likely be averaging about 7 - 10 points more per game, and right about where I would feel comfortable in saying they could make some serious noise in the playoffs.

Nothing is set in stone yet and they can improve- like getting Fasano back at TE. At least the HC isn't content and thinks that 6 and 0 = he doesn't need to reevaluate how he is utilizing the offense and if the play calling needs some tweaking.

We've just had just a history of coaches that were stubborn and continued to force a square peg in a round hole, that I hope he does go over the tape and pick his other coaches brains for greater success.

I think once the bye week comes were going to have quite a bit of little new surprises especially given the key games that come up just after our bye.

houston_pressure 10-16-2013 06:11 PM

If this team is able to pick up Tony G... They have a Top 3 RB. Top 3 TE. Top 10 WR, Solid LT, first overall pick RT, a coach who's suppose to be offensive minded, and a QB we just gave up two 2nd's for. All backed by an excellent defense and ST to set them up. If they can't move the ball that's a problem.

Dayze 10-16-2013 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 10092281)
This is apparently an "ok" offense: 25th in yards, 26th in yards per play, 27th in completion percentage, 21st in 1st downs, 27th in 3rd down percentage, 21st in penalties, 26th in passing yardage, 28th in yards per pass, 21st in first downs via the pass, 29th in passing 1st down percentage, 21st in qb rating. On the plus side they're 9th in rushing, 12th in rushing yards/game, 12th in rushing average, 10th in rushing first downs and 13th in rushing 1st down percentage.

I guess that's "ok" for some, but I don't see an offense that's good at anything. They're 'ok,' but not great, running the ball, and they're bottom third in every passing category aside from interceptions. This being a team that's pass-first....

The few statistical categories where they're close to or at the top of the league, scoring (9th), time of possession (7th) and turnovers (1st) are primarily attributable to the defense, who's leading the league in TD returns, sacks, passes defensed, 3rd down percentage and turnovers forced.

Boom