ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Sound Card upgrade...nominations are now open... (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=113120)

Gaz 03-29-2005 08:58 AM

Sound Card upgrade...nominations are now open...

I want to upgrade the sound card that came with my HP. I am not a gamer. What I want is better audio on my music. I watch DVDs on the big screen, so I do not need Dolby Digital 7.1 or DTS decoding. I just want to listen to my tunes.

What is my best choice? So far, my research has led me to the Creative Labs basic Audigy card.

Any other favorites out there?

xoxo~
Gaz
A bit concerned about opening up the case.

Saulbadguy 03-29-2005 10:44 AM

I've got one one of the Original Audigys, bought it in 00. It still works great.

nmt1 03-29-2005 12:11 PM

I can't reccomend a better card for what you want to use it for but you might consider speakers too. I've got a set of Altec Lansing speakers that I've been very happy with.

These look nice: Altec Lansing
As do these: Creative Labs

nmt1 03-29-2005 12:20 PM

This is probably a little more than what you're looking for but it's a good card nonetheless: M-Audio

Gaz 03-29-2005 12:27 PM

Chill, Bose haters...

I have some Bose speakers that I like [for the moment].

I expect the computer to be like the audio/visual center. Upgrade the sound card then then realize I need new speakers.

Do you have the M-Audio card? Is it superior to the Audigy if I am not into games or DVDs on the computer?

xoxo~
Gaz
Standing on the lip of another money pit at Rancho Gaz.

Saulbadguy 03-29-2005 12:31 PM

Speakers are going to make the big difference.

Klipsch pro-media or Logitech are the best brands, IMO.

Pants 03-29-2005 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saulbadguy
Speakers are going to make the big difference.

Klipsch pro-media or Logitech are the best brands, IMO.

Yeap, except for Bose. Klipsch are the best by far, except if you want to shell out the money for Bose.

Saulbadguy 03-29-2005 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Metrolike
Yeap, except for Bose. Klipsch are the best by far, except if you want to shell out the money for Bose.

BOSE is nothing more than an advertising giant. Their product has remain largely unchanged for 30 years, and all they do is pour money in to advertising, and making sure their name remains synomous with "quality".
Have you ever listened to a BOSE set up? Its not terrible, but definately NOT worth the money you pay for it. The bass is muddy as it uses a multi chambered subwoofer, with a very small driver.

No highs, no lows, must be Bose.

Saulbadguy 03-29-2005 12:52 PM

FYI:
http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html

Gaz 03-29-2005 01:06 PM

Bose and Mac...same song, different verse...

Can we put aside the Bose-bashing for a moment, please?

Am I going to hear a difference between a Creative Sound Blaster Live! 24-Bit, Creative Audigy or M-Audio card? I listen to CDs and stored music files [a mish-mash of MP3, WMA & OGG] both via speakers and headphones [Koss Porta Pros; who hates them?].

xoxo~
Gaz
Knew he should not have mentioned the B word.

Gaz 03-29-2005 01:16 PM

Innie or outie?

Another question, please.

Does anyone use [or used to use] a USB sound card? I am not exactly comfortable with opening up the case. Will I get the same sound quality from an external USB card?

xoxo~
Gaz
Wading into unknown waters.

htismaqe 03-29-2005 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaz

Can we put aside the Bose-bashing for a moment, please?

Am I going to hear a difference between a Creative Sound Blaster Live! 24-Bit, Creative Audigy or M-Audio card? I listen to CDs and stored music files [a mish-mash of MP3, WMA & OGG] both via speakers and headphones [Koss Porta Pros; who hates them?].

xoxo~
Gaz
Knew he should not have mentioned the B word.

I don't think you're going to hear a difference. The speakers are the biggest difference-maker in sound quality.

htismaqe 03-29-2005 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaz

Another question, please.

Does anyone use [or used to use] a USB sound card? I am not exactly comfortable with opening up the case. Will I get the same sound quality from an external USB card?

xoxo~
Gaz
Wading into unknown waters.

I personally shy away from using USB for things that are core to the PC's operation (sound, networking, etc.). I use USB for peripherals like storage and printing.

Saulbadguy 03-29-2005 02:12 PM

Creative made an "extigy" which was a USB based sound card. IIRC it did not go over well. I agree with rufusmaqe, USB is for peripherals.

Gaz 03-29-2005 02:43 PM

Okay...

Thanks for your help, guys.

xoxo~
Gaz
Warming up the credit card.