ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Teicher:Prodded by Andy Reid, Chiefs QB Alex Smith learning to be more aggressive (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=273618)

Fat Elvis 06-10-2013 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Branden Albert's Huge Balls (Post 9732403)
Let the record show that Andy Reid would not have needed to coach Geno to "be more aggressive."

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoucheMcCloud (Post 9732869)
Let the record show that NO NFL team thought Smith worthy of a first round draft choice, let alone 1.1.

Let the record show that the Jets think that even Mark Sanchez is a better QB than Geno.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/6/9...ck-controversy

Quote:

There's a quarterback battle going on at New York Jets minicamp, but early impressions indicate incumbent starter Mark Sanchez doesn't have a whole lot to worry about. Considering rookie Geno Smith "hasn't blown anybody away," the team may have "little choice," but to start Sanchez, according to Rich Cimini of ESPN New York.
http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopo...t-football.jpg

WhiteWhale 06-10-2013 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 9732488)
If by 'Agressive' I hope they mean stretching the field vertically, rather than horizontally.

the last 4 years have been atrocious in attacking with the pass beyond 15 friggin' yards.

I think he's obviously talking about Alex taking riskier throws in practice and seeing what he can get away with. He's talking about throwing guys open and being aggressive against tighter coverage.

In other words, taking more chances.

Being more aggressive isn't just about throwing deep. To be a good NFL QB, sometimes you have to take chances. It sounds like Reid thinks Alex can make passes he's not attempting.

We'll see. I don't have much faith in Smith, but I don't have a problem with Reid trying to improve him as a player like some folks do.

chiefzilla1501 06-10-2013 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteWhale (Post 9742194)
I think he's obviously talking about Alex taking riskier throws in practice and seeing what he can get away with. He's talking about throwing guys open and being aggressive against tighter coverage.

In other words, taking more chances.

Being more aggressive isn't just about throwing deep. To be a good NFL QB, sometimes you have to take chances. It sounds like Reid thinks Alex can make passes he's not attempting.

We'll see. I don't have much faith in Smith, but I don't have a problem with Reid trying to improve him as a player like some folks do.

Yup. They're going to let him sink or swim, not hide behind a conservative offense. I really don't care if he sinks, as long as they recognize the problem and move on. Rather that than have mild success because he wasn't taking chances, and convince KC fans that he's the answer.

NinerDoug 06-12-2013 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9742211)
Yup. They're going to let him sink or swim, not hide behind a conservative offense. I really don't care if he sinks, as long as they recognize the problem and move on. Rather that than have mild success because he wasn't taking chances, and convince KC fans that he's the answer.

Well, Jim Harbaugh succeeded with Alex by playing to his strengths, and not asking him to do anything he didn't think he could do, or do well.

Of course, that doesn't necessarily mean he can't be more aggressive. Just that Harbs didn't need to take those chances with the team he's got. Bit of a different situation with the Chiefs.

Mav 06-12-2013 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NinerDoug (Post 9746877)
Well, Jim Harbaugh succeeded with Alex by playing to his strengths, and not asking him to do anything he didn't think he could do, or do well.

Of course, that doesn't necessarily mean he can't be more aggressive. Just that Harbs didn't need to take those chances with the team he's got. Bit of a different situation with the Chiefs.

I agree. I also think that this is the first year since perhaps his second year in the league with Norv Turner, that Alex Smith truly has a Coach, that is 100% dedicated to him. No 49er fan truly understood how Harbaugh felt about Kaepernick heading into that season, and truth be told, after seeing Kaep perform in the preseason in 2011, no one thought that Alex Smith would of had anything to worry about for a couple years. I was on record of saying that the best thing for Kaep would be that he would sit ala aaron rodgers for a few years, develop, and then take over. Obviously, with the kids work ethic, and an unfortunate concussion by Alex Smith, sadly when he was playing the best football of his career, opened that door, and accelerated that process. But, this year, with Andy Reid, the compensation given up, and the early impressions from the coaching staff, players, and gm, clearly this is Alex Smiths team, and clearly, he is not looking over his shoulder no matter how much people want to think that Chase Daniel, or Tyler Bray can be, or are better. Alex Smith is going to have his chance to cement his legacy one way or the other. Was he a product of being a care taker under Jim Harbaugh, or was he a late bloomer needing the guidance of Doug Pederson, Andy Reid, and Brad Childress to unlock the potential that landed him as the number one over all pick 8 years ago.

Lots of questions, lots of opinions, the answers, will be known in 6 months.

NinerDoug 06-12-2013 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maverick91579 (Post 9747253)
I agree. I also think that this is the first year since perhaps his second year in the league with Norv Turner, that Alex Smith truly has a Coach, that is 100% dedicated to him. No 49er fan truly understood how Harbaugh felt about Kaepernick heading into that season, and truth be told, after seeing Kaep perform in the preseason in 2011, no one thought that Alex Smith would of had anything to worry about for a couple years. I was on record of saying that the best thing for Kaep would be that he would sit ala aaron rodgers for a few years, develop, and then take over. Obviously, with the kids work ethic, and an unfortunate concussion by Alex Smith, sadly when he was playing the best football of his career, opened that door, and accelerated that process. But, this year, with Andy Reid, the compensation given up, and the early impressions from the coaching staff, players, and gm, clearly this is Alex Smiths team, and clearly, he is not looking over his shoulder no matter how much people want to think that Chase Daniel, or Tyler Bray can be, or are better. Alex Smith is going to have his chance to cement his legacy one way or the other. Was he a product of being a care taker under Jim Harbaugh, or was he a late bloomer needing the guidance of Doug Pederson, Andy Reid, and Brad Childress to unlock the potential that landed him as the number one over all pick 8 years ago.

Lots of questions, lots of opinions, the answers, will be known in 6 months.

Well, in spite of the fact that CK7 was obviously drafted to take over at some point, I always thought that Harbaugh completely supported Alex .......until the concussion, that is.

Sandy Vagina 06-12-2013 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NinerDoug (Post 9747843)
Well, in spite of the fact that CK7 was obviously drafted to take over at some point, I always thought that Harbaugh completely supported Alex .......until the concussion, that is.

Yeah, I will always be a die-hard 49ers fan, but Harbaugh is an asshole snake for stabbing Alex in the back. Jim got what he deserved by losing the SB... though we the fans didn't deserve it. (well, some did) Oh well.. won't historically be the first team I adore that is coached by a despicable person.

milkman 06-12-2013 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac-NinersChiefs (Post 9747906)
Yeah, I will always be a die-hard 49ers fan, but Harbaugh is an asshole snake for stabbing Alex in the back. Jim got what he deserved by losing the SB... though we the fans didn't deserve it. (well, some did) Oh well.. won't historically be the first team I adore that is coached by a despicable person.

Good god, you're a dumbass.

NinerDoug 06-12-2013 05:12 PM

Quote:

Holy Shit. My friend, Harbs is a God.

He did not "stab Alex in the back." The Niners moved up in the second round to draft CK7. He was not drafted to be a backup. Everyone, including Alex, knew he was drafted to take over eventually.

As the head coach, his "prime directive," to wax star trek, is to do what was best for the team. It was apparent to everyone that turning it over to Kaep at that point was what was best for the team. I always supported Alex and wanted him to succeed, but, unfortunately, that is part of the game.

What Harbs did for the Niners was incredible, miraculous. And Alex got to ride that wave for a while. Not going to tell you how to feel, but I just cant understand being pissed at Harbs.

Sweet Daddy Hate 06-12-2013 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NinerDoug (Post 9747964)

He did not "stab Alex in the back." The Niners moved up in the second round to draft CK7. He was not drafted to be a backup. Everyone, including Alex, knew he was drafted to take over eventually.

As the head coach, his "prime directive," to wax star trek, is to do what was best for the team. It was apparent to everyone that turning it over to Kaep at that point was what was best for the team. I always supported Alex and wanted him to succeed, but, unfortunately, that is part of the game.

What Harbs did for the Niners was incredible, miraculous. And Alex got to ride that wave for a while. Not going to tell you how to feel, but I just cant understand being pissed at Harbs.

Sweet Jesus; this.

KCinNY 06-12-2013 05:56 PM

Quote:

Unfathomable.

Harbaugh took the players Singletary couldn't do shit with...and immediately took them to the NFC title game then followed that up with a Superbowl run that came up one non-call short of a Lombardi trophy.

Yeah...if I were a Niner fan, I would hate him for upgrading the QB and hurting Alex Smith's feelings.:rolleyes:

Sandy Vagina 06-13-2013 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NinerDoug (Post 9747964)

I am not saying that I think Jim is an incompetent coach... not even saying that I am unhappy he is our HC.

... but I value honesty and loyalty... and I think those are qualities that Jim lacks. He's a silver-tongued salesman looking to get what he wants. If that produces trophies? Of course, I'll learn to live with it.... I don't respect him as a human being... and I wouldn't trust him or go to war with him as a player. (well, I would cause I love the game and they pay well, lol)

Sweet Daddy Hate 06-13-2013 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac-NinersChiefs (Post 9748858)
I am not saying that I think Jim is an incompetent coach... not even saying that I am unhappy he is our HC.

... but I value honesty and loyalty... and I think those are qualities that Jim lacks. He's a silver-tongued salesman looking to get what he wants. If that produces trophies? Of course, I'll learn to live with it.... I don't respect him as a human being... and I wouldn't trust him or go to war with him as a player. (well, I would cause I love the game and they pay well, lol)

Woman, please.

BigBeauford 06-13-2013 07:52 AM

Yeah, **** Harbs! If it wasn't for him taking Alex out, he would still be playing for your team and not for ours!

Marcellus 06-13-2013 08:01 AM

I think the suckfest for CK is a bit much. He took the team 1 game farther than Smith did and truth be told just about ****ed them several times with bad turnovers early in playoff games.He did have the talent to make up for most of it though.

He is a good QB for sure but until he can win for a period of time I'm not sold he is super man. He has had a 9 game stretch that was damn good. Lets see what he can do when teams know what they are going against.

Sweet Daddy Hate 06-13-2013 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qbsacker93 (Post 9748919)
Yeah, **** Harbs! If it wasn't for him taking Alex out, he would still be playing for your team and not for ours!

Excellent point.

Dave Lane 06-13-2013 09:02 AM

Quote:

How about we trade you Smiff and Reid straight up for Harbs? Reid is loyalty to his guys, you'd like him.

chiefzilla1501 06-13-2013 09:48 AM

Quote:

You dolt. Kaepernick threw for 280 yards and rushed for 180 against green bay. He threw for 233 yards with a 75 pct completion rate against Atlanta. Even against Baltimore, in a slow start, he threw for over 300 yards and almost had a huge comeback.

And the kid has only played a half season.

But by all means... It was a dumb decision to switch qbs to kaepernick.

NinerDoug 06-13-2013 10:39 AM

Quote:

"Loyalty" in this sense is inconsistent with coaching in the NFL. Any competent coach would have made the same decision, IMO.

ptlyon 06-13-2013 11:05 AM

Can we just backpack pressure cooker bomb this ****ing thread already?

All it is is a festering cesspool of niner fans swilling niner QB cocks. Let them go to their own site and do that shit.

Rausch 06-13-2013 11:11 AM

The only ****ing thing Smith is great at is protecting the football.

You knew what you got when you signed him.

Sweet Daddy Hate 06-13-2013 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Lane (Post 9749010)
How about we trade you Smiff and Reid straight up for Harbs? Reid is loyalty to his guys, you'd like him.

Mental Note:

Dave Lane is the Chiefs fan who deals in reality, while "just" Dave is the Lil' Chiefy moran. Got it.

Mav 06-14-2013 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NinerDoug (Post 9749213)
"Loyalty" in this sense is inconsistent with coaching in the NFL. Any competent coach would have made the same decision, IMO.

No, not every coach would of done the same thing, but, Harbs has displayed that he goes with his coaching gut, and I fully understand that. In the end, it wasnt the decision to go away from Alex that bothered me, it was the WAY it was handled. I would of preferred that it wasnt as strung out as it was. The writing was on the wall.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 9749263)

Incorrect on two parts. One, Alex Smith is great at diagnosing defenses pre snap, and getting the team into the correct play.

And, he wasnt signed, he was traded for.

Remember, if he had been a free agent, no one would of cared that the chiefs had him. I have read this about 100000 million times on here.

-King- 06-14-2013 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maverick91579 (Post 9752131)
No, not every coach would of done the same thing, but, Harbs has displayed that he goes with his coaching gut, and I fully understand that. In the end, it wasnt the decision to go away from Alex that bothered me, it was the WAY it was handled. I would of preferred that it wasnt as strung out as it was. The writing was on the wall.

How was it strung out? Alex smith got injured, Kaepernick started the rest of the season. How was there any stringing out?

Sweet Daddy Hate 06-14-2013 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 9752137)
How was it strung out? Alex smith got injured, Kaepernick started the rest of the season. How was there any stringing out?

He didn't lovingly massage Smith's vag for a while?

Dixie Land 06-14-2013 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteWhale (Post 9732396)
I can't believe people here are acting mad because Reid is trying to expand Smith's approach.

I mean are we really taking the 'How DARE Andy Reid ask Alex Smith to be more aggressive!" road? Is it a bad thing for the coach to see the limits of the QB's abilities?

Jesus people. Get a grip. I'm no Alex Smith fan, but this is an area almost everyone here has blasted Smith for. Why are you pissed? Yeah, it likely won't work. It's not a BAD thing for a coach to attempt to make a QB better though. It's called coaching.

THIS Smith has been timid his whole career....not a risk taking QB at all....Dingleberry called him "meek"....he wanted more fire outta Smith....good luck with that....Can't stand his little sideways smirk during interviews also...well season 9 here we come Smith..

Dixie Land 06-14-2013 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 9749263)

He only "protected football" when Harb surrounded him with killer players though....even before that he had a good team, just lacks fire and enthusiasm and leadership and and and.....:banghead:

Dixie Land 06-14-2013 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maverick91579 (Post 9733522)
Alex Smith will do whatever is asked of him. that's just the way he is.

Whatever the game plan is, is what he will do. its always been that way. hes a perfect soldier. There is no general in him though.

Really? Jim Harbaugh changed Alex Smith in a lockout shortened offseason. Taught him to protect the ball, and to make sure that every drive ended in a kick.

Alex has a brilliant mind, and he will do whatever Andy, and Doug want him to do. That is the problem with people assume that they know Alex Smith, and then get pissed when people WHO DO know Alex Smith, try to tell you what to expect. If Andy wants Alex throwing more down field, then Alex will do that.

True the last year in Frisco the team lead the league in FG attempts and FG points....Smith socked azz getting TD's and throwing downfield even with Crabtree and Vernon Davis....better pray your kicker has good ju ju..

Easy 6 06-15-2013 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 9748937)
I think the suckfest for CK is a bit much. He took the team 1 game farther than Smith did and truth be told just about ****ed them several times with bad turnovers early in playoff games.He did have the talent to make up for most of it though.

He is a good QB for sure but until he can win for a period of time I'm not sold he is super man. He has had a 9 game stretch that was damn good. Lets see what he can do when teams know what they are going against.

No one here hopes Smithe can shut people up more than me, i HOPE this guy has a renaissance here and is an outstanding leader and player, and i've seen just enough from him to believe it might be possible... too much hard work from two preeminent NFL minds believes it to be possible as well.

But i watched the game Kaep replaced Smith in and it was just sooo immediately apparent how much more talented he was... forget "rawness" and "easier reads by design"... he just excited that team more, plain and simple, it was like watching a chemistry experiment gone well.

As i've said before, i see Smith as what Casell SHOULD'VE been... the steady vet capable of immediately digesting and implementing a new system, avoiding disasters and starting a new regime off on the right foot, setting the tone and work habits of a new team.

But i will always believe that Reid is too smart not to constantly be on the lookout for the Next Step... bottom line, if Smith does well we take a step up to the platform that preceeds the big step.

Sweet Daddy Hate 06-15-2013 10:31 PM

scott free is a goddamned WIN FACTORY tonight.

Easy 6 06-15-2013 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweet Daddy Hate (Post 9754361)
scott free is a goddamned WIN FACTORY tonight.

High praise, many thanks ;)

milkman 06-15-2013 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott free (Post 9754354)
No one here hopes Smithe can shut people up more than me, i HOPE this guy has a renaissance here and is an outstanding leader and player, and i've seen just enough from him to believe it might be possible... too much hard work from two preeminent NFL minds believes it to be possible as well.

But i watched the game Kaep replaced Smith in and it was just sooo immediately apparent how much more talented he was... forget "rawness" and "easier reads by design"... he just excited that team more, plain and simple, it was like watching a chemistry experiment gone well.

As i've said before, i see Smith as what Casell SHOULD'VE been... the steady vet capable of immediately digesting and implementing a new system, avoiding disasters and starting a new regime off on the right foot, setting the tone and work habits of a new team.

But i will always believe that Reid is too smart not to constantly be on the lookout for the Next Step... bottom line, if Smith does well we take a step up to the platform that preceeds the big step.

Spot on.

BigMeatballDave 06-15-2013 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unnecessary drama (Post 9732263)
the whole Alex Smith ordeal has pretty much kept me out of football threads this entire offseason...

it's just not even worth it

people are so oblivious it sickens me...and I'd rather waste my time on CP calling Frazod fat then explaining to everyone why Joe Flacco isn't elite

Joe Flacco wins in the post season.

Isn't that what you want from your QB?

Is he as talented as some of the usual suspects? No.

But he wins. That's all that matters.

If the Chiefs won with Matt Cassel, we'd all ****ing love Matt Cassel.

Tony Romo hasn't won shit.

BigMeatballDave 06-15-2013 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweet Daddy Hate (Post 9750664)
Mental Note:

Dave Lane is the Chiefs fan who deals in reality, while "just" Dave is the Lil' Chiefy moran. Got it.

Go tongue your daddy's ass.

You might just be the biggest 'moran' here.

Sweet Daddy Hate 06-16-2013 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrueFanDave (Post 9754428)
Go tongue your daddy's ass.

You might just be the biggest 'moran' here.

Put those claws away, girl!

Chiefshrink 06-16-2013 09:26 AM

Quote:

Bottom line: You can lose your starting spot especially at QB IF you consistently score more in the redone like Kaep did and continue to put up W's as you bring the level of play up for everyone else around you making them play better.

The only time this wouldn't have applied is if IF Marty Shot were the coach he would have given the starting QB job back to Smith and benched Kaep because in his mind it's not fair to Smith since he got injured (a la Grbac vs Gannon):rolleyes:. It was obviously clear the Chiefs O during that run was far more motivated and productive under Gannon than Grbac. The Chiefs O that year respected Gannon's leadership and playmaking abilities far more than Grbac and it definitely showed. But Marty couldn't see it. No way am I comparing Gannon to Kaep athletically although Gannon is very athletic but, I'm strictly speaking about Gannon's leadership and motivation he brought to the Chiefs O that year and the big difference between he and Grbac.

If Kaep is taken out and Smith put back in last year your Niners don't make it to the SB. Because Matt Ryan/Russell Wilson are far better athletic playmaking leaders in crunch time than Smith can ever hope to be. But Harbs did the right thing and went with his gut based on what not only what he saw in Kaep individually but how everyone else in the offense 'stepped their game up' and played better under Kaep's leadership.

Take off your Harb hating glasses and see the real picture here.

Sandy Vagina 06-16-2013 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefshrink (Post 9754612)
Bottom line: You can lose your starting spot especially at QB IF you consistently score more in the redone like Kaep did and continue to put up W's as you bring the level of play up for everyone else around you making them play better.

Smith had scores on 14 of 23 red zone opportunities for 60.8%.

Kaepernick has had 8 scores in 17 red zone opportunities for 47%.

http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/2012/...nd-alex-smith/

Want to try that again?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefshrink (Post 9754612)
Take off your Harb hating glasses and see the real picture here.

I generally despise dishonesty. I feel Jim promised and owed it to Alex to give him the 2012 season. To let him finish what he started... even if that meant saying g'bye to Alex the following year for his handpicked, young QB. It was a surprise to most people (outside of the few Alex hating talking heads) when Kaepernick came in and never looked back. Most analysts and fans thought it was a huge gamble... and it was. I believe Alex was ranked as the 3rd best in NFL passer rating at the time of the concussion.

To Kaep's credit, he did a great job of stepping in. I get that he has amazing potential. I actually am "over" it now, and I like where everything's at right about now. But there's no way I will ever see the decision as anything other than a betrayal.. a real dick move by a HC that would slit his own mother's throat to get what he wants. Maybe that is a mentality that fans should want out of their HC. Winning is all that matters in the end, right? Still... it was a dick move... and I would expect most of the players to see Jim in a different light now. (not that that matters much, when it comes down to it)

Coogs 06-16-2013 10:01 AM

Although Kap did appear to provide a spark to certain player(s), (Crabtree), and maybe even a portion of a fan base, he really didn't do a whole lot for the team in terms of improving the output. Points per game, yards per game, passing yards per game, rushing yards per game, wins... all very similar. Just a different way of getting those things. Just for varification, here are the numbers:

http://www.pro-football-reference.co...s/sfo/2012.htm

Now I am not saying Smith is going to be the end-all-be-all QB this franchise is looking for, but it is not like the 49ers benched Tyler Palko (Smith) and upgraded to John Elway (Kap) last season, and their fortunes suddenly took a turn for the better. Things were pretty good to begin with.

Sorter 06-16-2013 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac-NinersChiefs (Post 9754653)
. I feel Jim promised and owed it to Alex to give him the 2012 season. You have no idea what Harbaugh "promised". Additionally, he doesn't and didn't owe anything to Alex Smith.

To Kaep's credit, he did a great job of stepping in. I get that he has amazing potential. I actually am "over" it nowI'm so happy that you're over having a 2nd year QB who led his team to SB in his first 10 games and is likely a franchise player for the next several years. I don't know how you have managed to cope with that but golly, I sure am happy you managed to live through it. But there's no way I will ever see the decision as anything other than a betrayal.. a real dick move by a HC that would slit his own mother's throat to get what he wants.You seem like someone who would defend starting Grbac. Winning is all that matters in the end, right? Yes. Winning ensures job security (unless your name is Lovie) and I would expect most of the players to see Jim in a different light now. Then you're a complete mongoloid.

This kind of stupidity is quite alarming.

crazycoffey 06-16-2013 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 9754401)
Spot on.

You're agreement to a mostly optimistic post confuses me, and you didn't say dumbass.

USArmyParatrooper 06-16-2013 12:35 PM

Guys, even though I'm a 49ers fan, I shall selflessly cheer for the Chiefs to improve to 8 - 8 this season.

USArmyParatrooper 06-16-2013 12:43 PM

Quote:

Want to try that again?

Is that just throwing touchdowns, or the 49ers' overall redzone percentage? If it's the former, that's extremely misleading.

Quote:

I generally despise dishonesty. I feel Jim promised and owed it to Alex to give him the 2012 season. To let him finish what he started... even if that meant saying g'bye to Alex the following year for his handpicked, young QB. It was a surprise to most people (outside of the few Alex hating talking heads) when Kaepernick came in and never looked back. Most analysts and fans thought it was a huge gamble... and it was. I believe Alex was ranked as the 3rd best in NFL passer rating at the time of the concussion.

To Kaep's credit, he did a great job of stepping in. I get that he has amazing potential. I actually am "over" it now, and I like where everything's at right about now. But there's no way I will ever see the decision as anything other than a betrayal.. a real dick move by a HC that would slit his own mother's throat to get what he wants. Maybe that is a mentality that fans should want out of their HC. Winning is all that matters in the end, right? Still... it was a dick move... and I would expect most of the players to see Jim in a different light now. (not that that matters much, when it comes down to it)

You FEEL Harbaugh promised that to Smith? How do you feel such a thing?

What Alex Smith and all players are owed is unambiguous and easily quantified. They are owned what is in their contract, and nothing
more.

A coach's #1 priority above anything else is what is best for the team. It certainly isn't a millionaire player's feelings.

Rasputin 06-16-2013 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by USArmyParatrooper (Post 9754827)
Guys, even though I'm a 49ers fan, I shall selflessly cheer for the Chiefs to improve to 8 - 8 this season.

Sorry but 7&9 & we keep our second round draft pick 2014.

Thanks for your service for our country sir. :thumb:

milkman 06-16-2013 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazycoffey (Post 9754754)
You're agreement to a mostly optimistic post confuses me, and you didn't say dumbass.

I believe I am fairly objective about these things.

I hated the trade for Smith and the fact that we didn't draft a QB in this draft.

I firmly believe there are at least 3 QBs from this draft with a much higher ceiling than Alex Smith has reached, and don't believe that Smith is ever going to be anything more than the somewhat mediocre game manager that he has been over the last couple of seasons.

He is far better and clearly far more effective than Matt Cassel.

But far better and far more effective still doesn't equal good.

But the reality is that this team will be better than it has been because Smith is an upgrade.

But I don't give up premium draft picks for a QB that I believe has no shot to ever take this team to a SB.

It's wasted ****ing resources.

Sweet Daddy Hate 06-16-2013 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 9754864)
I believe I am fairly objective about these things.

I hated the trade for Smith and the fact that we didn't draft a QB in this draft.

I firmly believe there are at least 3 QBs from this draft with a much higher ceiling than Alex Smith has reached, and don't believe that Smith is ever going to be anything more than the somewhat mediocre game manager that he has been over the last couple of seasons.

He is far better and clearly far more effective than Matt Cassel.

But far better and far more effective still doesn't equal good.

But the reality is that this team will be better than it has been because Smith is an upgrade.

But I don't give up premium draft picks for a QB that I believe has no shot to ever take this team to a SB.

It's wasted ****ing resources.

As is this Daniel signing. That move is, comparing in a side by side manner, equally ridiculous if not worse.
The trade for the #1 QB spot: Garbages.
The filling of the #2 spot with Daniel: Garbages.
The only legit move for the entire QB roster was Bray, and we'll just have to hope in one hand and shit in the other on that.

Chiefshrink 06-16-2013 01:34 PM

Quote:

http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/2012/...nd-alex-smith/

Want to try that again?

Sure!! Obviously you don't have football eyes and recognize a high ceiling in a QB when it's right there in front of you. A 7yr starting vet QB compared to a 1yr limited snaps back up QB who goes 47% 'first time out' and only gets better with more time. Jim owes Alex NOTHING ! Jim owes ownership and the fans the best team on the field to win a SB. Remember, its a business of winning games pure and simple. A gamble? Hell yes ! But a gamble that HAD to happen ! Why ? The O began to sputter under Smith a few games prior to his injury and Harbs saw the Alex of old begin to creep back in. So Harbs in order to kill 2 birds with one stone allowed both to play to see what Kaep can do and see if Alex can handle the pressure and shake off the sputtering offense by playing them both. Well, we all know what happened.

Harbs gut told him Smith won't take the niners to a SB but Kaep could and DID !! Harbs saw no gamble in the decision because Smith limited the team getting to the SB in his mind, but Kaep was the wild card that was worth playing if it meant getting to the SB and it payed off. Hats off to Harbs and I applaud him.

You can throw all the red zone stats around you want but Harbs knows that defenses don't have to game plan near as much for Smith as they would for Kaep because Kaep like RGIII is a nightmare to game plan. WHY ?? Well, you said it best !! "You like where everything is at right now".
And why is that ? Because Kaep is a helluva a lot better than Smith, that's why you like where everything is at right now. Question is would you pull ' a Marty' right now if you were HC ? Hell no you wouldn't because you have already stated, "you like where everything is at right now" which is code for I like Kaep much better as starting QB than Smith.

But I have no doubt that you would have pulled ' a Marty' and would have given Smith back his job if you were HC last season never knowing what Kaep could have done for you thus you would have been one and done in the playoffs no doubt !!

milkman 06-16-2013 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefshrink (Post 9754937)
Sure!! Obviously you don't have football eyes and recognize a high ceiling in a QB when it's right there in front of you. A 7yr starting vet QB compared to a 1yr limited snaps back up QB who goes 47% 'first time out' and only gets better with more time. Jim owes Alex NOTHING ! Jim owes ownership and the fans the best team on the field to win a SB. Remember, its a business of winning games pure and simple. A gamble? Hell yes ! But a gamble that HAD to happen ! Why ? The O began to sputter under Smith a few games prior to his injury and Harbs saw the Alex of old begin to creep back in. So Harbs in order to kill 2 birds with one stone allowed both to play to see what Kaep can do and see if Alex can handle the pressure and shake off the sputtering offense by playing them both. Well, we all know what happened.

Harbs gut told him Smith won't take the niners to a SB but Kaep could and DID !! Harbs saw no gamble in the decision because Smith limited the team getting to the SB in his mind, but Kaep was the wild card that was worth playing if it meant getting to the SB and it payed off. Hats off to Harbs and I applaud him.

You can throw all the red zone stats around you want but Harbs knows that defenses don't have to game plan near as much for Smith as they would for Kaep because Kaep like RGIII is a nightmare to game plan. WHY ?? Well, you said it best !! "You like where everything is at right now".
And why is that ? Because Kaep is a helluva a lot better than Smith, that's why you like where everything is at right now. Question is would you pull ' a Marty' right now if you were HC ? Hell no you wouldn't because you have already stated, "you like where everything is at right now" which is code for I like Kaep much better as starting QB than Smith.

But I have no doubt that you would have pulled ' a Marty' and would have given Smith back his job if you were HC last season never knowing what Kaep could have done for you thus you would have been one and done in the playoffs no doubt !!

Holy ****.

You are an idiot, even when arguing something that I agree with in general.

Chiefshrink 06-16-2013 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coogs (Post 9754654)
Although Kap did appear to provide a spark to certain player(s), (Crabtree), and maybe even a portion of a fan base, he really didn't do a whole lot for the team in terms of improving the output. Points per game, yards per game, passing yards per game, rushing yards per game, wins... all very similar. Just a different way of getting those things. Just for varification, here are the numbers:

http://www.pro-football-reference.co...s/sfo/2012.htm

Now I am not saying Smith is going to be the end-all-be-all QB this franchise is looking for, but it is not like the 49ers benched Tyler Palko (Smith) and upgraded to John Elway (Kap) last season, and their fortunes suddenly took a turn for the better. Things were pretty good to begin with.

It's the high ceiling in Kaep and how players are motivated around him. And Kaep only gets better because of his elite athleticism over Smith where Smith had reached his ceiling and Harbs knew it.:thumb:

Chiefshrink 06-16-2013 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 9754945)
Holy ****.

You are an idiot, even when arguing something that I agree with in general.

Which means you have personal issues with me for whatever reason outside of football talk which is a mystery to me since you and I have never met. I really don't dislike you Milk actually I get a kick out of you but get some help Milk !!!:shrug:

SAUTO 06-16-2013 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefshrink (Post 9754955)
Which means you have personal issues with me for whatever reason outside of football talk which is a mystery to me since you and I have never met. I really don't dislike you Milk actually I get a kick out of you but get some help Milk !!!:shrug:

I have no personal issues and still think you sound like a dumb ****
Posted via Mobile Device

milkman 06-16-2013 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefshrink (Post 9754955)

No, not outside of football talk.

It's simple really.

Even with football talk, you're a blowhard.

Chiefshrink 06-16-2013 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 9754970)
I have no personal issues and still think you sound like a dumb ****
Posted via Mobile Device

Hey Gomer, get back to the garage and overhaul your engine, uh?:D

Chiefshrink 06-16-2013 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 9755010)
No, not outside of football talk.

It's simple really.

Even with football talk, you're a blowhard.

Brevity ? What's that ??? :LOL: I wish I had that gift but I struggle mightily. Contextual details when explaining a POV is like heroin for me. Sorry, but I am trying to improve:shrug:

milkman 06-16-2013 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefshrink (Post 9755066)
Brevity ? What's that ??? :LOL: I wish I had that gift but I struggle mightily. Contextual details when explaining a POV is like heroin for me. Sorry, but I am trying to improve:shrug:

Here, let me help you out.

Harbaugh saw that CK is a much more dynamic playmaker than Smith, and that gives the team a better chance to win, short and long term.

He wants to win.

USArmyParatrooper 06-16-2013 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Tattoo (Post 9754845)
Sorry but 7&9 & we keep our second round draft pick 2014.

Thanks for your service for our country sir. :thumb:

With a 7 & 8 (or so) record I could see the Chiefs' coaching staff blowing the last game or two on purpose, or just not going balls out trying to win, for the sake of preserving their second round.

PS: Thank you for your kind words. I'm a 49ers fan to the core but I have no hate for the Chiefs.

Good luck with Alex Smith. Regardless of how he plays, at the very least you're getting one of the hardest working, most classy players in the game.

Unfortunately the Alex Smith BFF's on the 49ers forums make me almost hope he will bomb. That's not fair to him, so that's why I said "almost."

Good luck next season, and see you in the pre-season!

Mav 06-16-2013 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 9755074)
Here, let me help you out.

Harbaugh saw that CK is a much more dynamic playmaker than Smith, and that gives the team a better chance to win, short and long term.

He wants to win.

or what was more than likely, knew what he had Kaep from the moment he met him when him and greg roman went out to personally work him out in Nevada. And Kaep was more when, than if he was going to take over, and Alex Smith was a decent stop gap to give Kaep the time he needed.

That's actually how it happened....He was always married to Kaep, that's why they traded up for him. Alex was a lame duck from the word go..

Coogs 06-17-2013 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefshrink (Post 9754949)
It's the high ceiling in Kaep and how players are motivated around him. And Kaep only gets better because of his elite athleticism over Smith where Smith had reached his ceiling and Harbs knew it.:thumb:

They are actually pretty close in athleticism...

Kaep:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2011/profil...ick?id=2495186

Smith:

http://nflcombineresults.com/playerpage.php?i=7256

Mav 06-17-2013 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coogs (Post 9756633)

Okay, I am a huge Alex Smith guy. Love Alex Smith. Tape don't lie. Their athleticism, is no where close. Kaep in every way shape and form is heads and shoulders above Alex Smith athletically.

Kaep has a bigger arm, Kaep has natural scrambling ability, home run speed, size, quickness, agility, is built more like a truck, where alex is on the skinnier side.

I love Alex, I think fundamentally, hes far better as a pure qb than Kaep is at this point, but, the athleticism thing, no matter how close their times were, in football speed, its no where close.

Kaep hands down.

Sandy Vagina 06-17-2013 09:29 AM

^ Kaep does get a larger amount of separation from rushers when he drops back... but hey, the same can be said about Kaep vs almost all (maybe all) other QBs in that respect. It isn't a knock on those QBs as much as it's just a freakish ability for Kaep.

Mav 06-17-2013 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac-NinersChiefs (Post 9756716)
^ Kaep does get a larger amount of separation from rushers when he drops back... but hey, the same can be said about Kaep vs almost all (maybe all) other QBs in that respect. It isn't a knock on those QBs as much as it's just a freakish ability for Kaep.

exactly. I am pro alex from the word go. The only two qbs that I think that can even come close to having athleticism comparable to Kaep, are Newton, and Vick, but neither one of them use it like Kaep does. Cam is close, but I have yet to see Cam role to his left and put the velocity, and accuracy on balls that Kaep does, or use his athleticism to extend plays like Kaep. Rodgers is the closest I can think of, but hes not any more athletic than Alex Smith measurable wise, but tape wise, miles ahead.

Coogs 06-17-2013 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maverick91579 (Post 9756707)
Okay, I am a huge Alex Smith guy. Love Alex Smith. Tape don't lie. Their athleticism, is no where close. Kaep in every way shape and form is heads and shoulders above Alex Smith athletically.

Kaep has a bigger arm, Kaep has natural scrambling ability, home run speed, size, quickness, agility, is built more like a truck, where alex is on the skinnier side.

I love Alex, I think fundamentally, hes far better as a pure qb than Kaep is at this point, but, the athleticism thing, no matter how close their times were, in football speed, its no where close.

Kaep hands down.

I'll buy that.

I'm just down on the line of thinking around here that we bought something that can't be pretty special here.

I've started using the Houston Texans model of the West Coast offense as to what we could be. When you look at it, we match up damn close all over the board. And FWIW, if I could have Schaub or Smith to QB that offense, I would go with Smith in a heartbeat.

mcaj22 06-17-2013 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coogs (Post 9756938)
I'll buy that.

I'm just down on the line of thinking around here that we bought something that can't be pretty special here.

I've started using the Houston Texans model of the West Coast offense as to what we could be. When you look at it, we match up damn close all over the board. And FWIW, if I could have Schaub or Smith to QB that offense, I would go with Smith in a heartbeat.

What

are you nuts? I know Matt Schaub is a good seasonal QB and a choker in the playoffs but Alex Smith has NO credentials that make him better than Schaub in the regular season or the playoffs really.

Matt Schaub has thrown for 4000 yards in that offense THREE SEASONS in his career.

Alex Smith has reached 3000 yards once in like 8 years. And you'd take him over the guy that threw over 4000 yards @ 250 per game last year? Are you nuts?

Mav 06-17-2013 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcaj22 (Post 9756963)
What

are you nuts? I know Matt Schaub is a good seasonal QB and a choker in the playoffs but Alex Smith has NO credentials that make him better than Schaub in the regular season or the playoffs really.

Matt Schaub has thrown for 4000 yards in that offense THREE SEASONS in his career.

Alex Smith has reached 3000 yards once in like 8 years. And you'd take him over the guy that threw over 4000 yards @ 250 per game last year? Are you nuts?

That's because, you are simple. Matt Schaub has had the coaching, a qb friendly HC, his entire career in Houston. He has also had Andre Johnson, his entire time in Houston. Where had that been for Alex Smith, EVER, in San Francisco. I say ever, because as I have stated with Bowe being Alex Smiths best receiver he has ever played with up to now, he for sure never had a receiver the caliber of Andre Johnson, nor a head coach that had his back the way that Kubiak has Schaubs. Don't let those little things like details get in your way of your blind reeruned hatred of Alex Smith.

mcaj22 06-17-2013 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maverick91579 (Post 9756988)
That's because, you are simple. Matt Schaub has had the coaching, a qb friendly HC, his entire career in Houston. He has also had Andre Johnson, his entire time in Houston. Where had that been for Alex Smith, EVER, in San Francisco. I say ever, because as I have stated with Bowe being Alex Smiths best receiver he has ever played with up to now, he for sure never had a receiver the caliber of Andre Johnson, nor a head coach that had his back the way that Kubiak has Schaubs. Don't let those little things like details get in your way of your blind reeruned hatred of Alex Smith.

You homers act like Alex Smith has had nothing his whole career in San Fran

hes had worked with some of the best offensive coaching minds, has had a top 10 defense for the last 5 years there and had a year and half of Harbaugh who is better than GARY ****ING KUBIAK

That fact that you think Schaub excelled caused of Gary Kubiak is hilarious.

Here's what Matt Schaub can throw for 4000 yards in a 16 game season: He doesnt have a ****ing broke dick shoulder and can actually throw the ball farther than 10 yards without it losing velocity.

Here's who cant do that: Noodle Arm Alex

which is why, he will never, ever have a lot of passing yards in a 16 game sample

Mav 06-17-2013 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coogs (Post 9756938)
I'll buy that.

No matter how many times I have tried to show the parallels between the situation Alex Smith is in now, compared to his first year with Jim Harbaugh, down to the very minute details of how eerily similar they are, the people who are gloom and doom, and feel they have seen this story before, are just going to be that way, until wins follow. The excuses have already started even if for some strange reason things do go well. "Matt Cassel had one good season too!", here is another of my favorites, "If the Chiefs do well, its because the defense and run game drug him along.", and that one is just hilarious to me. Who cares HOW you get there, as long as you get there. Even for me last year, with Alex Smith as the starter in SF, I knew that the defense and running game was going to carry the team and anything Alex Smith did to help get them there, was a bonus. Because that is what the team was built around. The running game, and defense. No different than the Chiefs at the moment honestly. So, don't even worry about it. People want the 5000 yard passer, but fail to realize that the two qbs who were in the super bowl last year, neither one, or either team as it were, had 4000 passing yards, nor either broke 30 passing tds. So I just let it run off my back....

BigMeatballDave 06-17-2013 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcaj22 (Post 9756992)

hes had worked with some of the best offensive coaching minds, has had a top 10 defense for the last 5 years there and had a year and half of Harbaugh who is better than GARY ****ING KUBIAK

Here's what Matt Schaub can throw for 4000 yards in a 16 game season: He doesnt have a ****ing broke dick shoulder and can actually throw the ball farther than 10 yards without it losing velocity.

which is why, he will never, ever have a lot of passing yards in a 16 game sample

LOL Homers. What shall we call you? Oh, right. Bleeding vagina.

Mav 06-17-2013 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcaj22 (Post 9756992)

ahhhhhh, Yes, because Gary Kubiaks system, you know the same one that is run by Mike Shanahan, and is founded on the bootleg, and misdirection passing plays certainly doesn't help. Oh, and Matt Schaub playing a minimum of 9 games a year in a DOME doesn't help him either. The irony that you actually think that Schaub has a stronger arm than Alex Smith one shows what a lunatic you are, and please, PLEASE, tell me about these stud weapons alex smith has had to work with at receiver over the years,, and please, outside of Mike McCarthy in year one, and Norv Turner in year two, what GREAT OFFENSIVE MINDS has he played under?

This should be great. Let me save you the trouble. The Mike Martz year, was the year that Alex Smith was on the IR, because Mike Nolan got him killed. But please. Do tell.......

It is really tough to lob the ball 40 yards in the air for andre Johnson by the way. REALLY TOUGH....

mcaj22 06-17-2013 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrueFanDave (Post 9757011)
LOL Homers. What shall we call you? Oh, right. Bleeding vagina.

Bleeding Vagina because I hate a 30 year old broke dick injury prone noodle arm game manager QB we gave up two draft picks for?

by all means.

Rausch 06-17-2013 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcaj22 (Post 9757016)
Bleeding Vagina because I hate a 30 year old broke dick injury prone noodle arm game manager QB we gave up two draft picks for?

by all means.

This is who we are and what we do.

At this point I don't even know why I let myself get angry about it...

mcaj22 06-17-2013 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maverick91579 (Post 9757013)
ahhhhhh, Yes, because Gary Kubiaks system, you know the same one that is run by Mike Shanahan, and is founded on the bootleg, and misdirection passing plays certainly doesn't help. Oh, and Matt Schaub playing a minimum of 9 games a year in a DOME doesn't help him either. The irony that you actually think that Schaub has a stronger arm than Alex Smith one shows what a lunatic you are, and please, PLEASE, tell me about these stud weapons alex smith has had to work with at receiver over the years,, and please, outside of Mike McCarthy in year one, and Norv Turner in year two, what GREAT OFFENSIVE MINDS has he played under?

This should be great. Let me save you the trouble. The Mike Martz year, was the year that Alex Smith was on the IR, because Mike Nolan got him killed. But please. Do tell.......

It is really tough to lob the ball 40 yards in the air for andre Johnson by the way. REALLY TOUGH....

Your argument is, let me get this straight:

That 8 years, it has never been the #1 overall draft picks fault, it was every single circumstance around him. Owners, coaches, players, schemes. Everything. 8 years that a franchise spent on a #1 overall pick to rely on carrying them, and it was NEVER his fault. So that nice inflated #1 draft slot contract he had and everything else. Not him.

So hes not a bust in your eyes? Cause everything around him for his career has held poor Alex back

that's your argument then? The coaches, systems and players around him sucked and he couldnt turn the franchise around being a #1 overall pick playing the most important position in the sport.

That's your defense of him.

Mav 06-17-2013 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 9757020)
This is who we are and what we do.

At this point I don't even know why I let myself get angry about it...

Im addressing you because I actually have a healthy respect for your posting, but the fact that people cant even let these guys get to camp, before having this same ol bullshit here we go again routine, is just silly to me.

I understand the frustration of not having a qb to call your own, but lets be real, there is already talks that Mark Sanchez is going to be the starting qb in NY, and we wont know much else about Ej Manuel until preseason, so there really weren't that many options. All the chiefs front office knew for sure, is that what you had, was not working, so they had to go a different direction.

I don't know, for me, I would at least wait to start abusing my liver until I saw some games.....

BigMeatballDave 06-17-2013 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcaj22 (Post 9757016)

by all means.

Why are you still a fan? Why are you here? Do you and others think you are Holier than Thou?
Is it your agenda you are trying to push? Are you try to make sure everyone hate Alex Smith? If so, do you realize how ****ing stupid that is? I'm always a wait and see guy.

Mav 06-17-2013 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcaj22 (Post 9757034)
Your argument is, let me get this straight:

That 8 years, it has never been the #1 overall draft picks fault, it was every single circumstance around him. Owners, coaches, players, schemes. Everything. 8 years that a franchise spent on a #1 overall pick to rely on carrying them, and it was NEVER his fault. So that nice inflated #1 draft slot contract he had and everything else. Not him.

So hes not a bust in your eyes? Cause everything around him for his career has held poor Alex back

that's your argument then? The coaches, systems and players around him sucked and he couldnt turn the franchise around being a #1 overall pick playing the most important position in the sport.

That's your defense of him.

Well, no. I have never been one to soley dismiss alex smith from the blame of anything. But, to take your point of view with it, is RIDICULOUS. Like situation, and stability, and talent around your first overall pick doesn't matter.

Look at the Elite qbs. What do they all have in common? Stability?

Look at Drew Brees, his stability, the way they are constantly upgrading the talent around him, how about Aaron Rodgers? He has been driving a Ferrari from the word go in Green Bay, compared to the talent he has had since becoming a starter, to what Alex Smith has had collectively at any time, from front office to the last player on the roster, is a Ford Pinto. Can you even attempt to argue that?

Are you telling me that there is no correlation to the entire team around Tom Brady, Joe Flacco, Aaron Rodgers, and Drew Brees? Can you honestly tell me that with the constant coaching changes, the poorly run management the lack of talent on the offensive side of the ball, that someone like Alex Smith was supposed to over come that? I know the reason that Alex Smith went first overall. And it wasn't Talent. Aaron Rodgers was MORE talented than Alex Smith. The experts knew it, the 49ers knew it, but the head coach, Mike Nolan, didn't like Aaron Rodgers attitude, and the 49ers front office, IE JOHN YORK, didn't want to pay Aaron Rodgers what Aaron Rodgers agents were wanting, which significantly more than Alex Smith. No, Alex Smith is not a franchise qb, no Alex Smith can not win on his own. But, you can not show me ONE single qb who can, and if Alex Smith is not on the qb level of the elite qbs, how could he ever even remotely be successful without the other pieces in place?

Now, if you can disagree with anything I have said right there, you are doing nothing more than trolling, and your mind is made up completely about Alex Smith, which is fine. Im not going to try to change your mind, but as an "alex homer" as you put it, im at least going to try to state the obvious.

mcaj22 06-17-2013 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maverick91579 (Post 9757069)
Well, no. I have never been one to soley dismiss alex smith from the blame of anything. But, to take your point of view with it, is RIDICULOUS. Like situation, and stability, and talent around your first overall pick doesn't matter.

Look at the Elite qbs. What do they all have in common? Stability?

Look at Drew Brees, his stability, the way they are constantly upgrading the talent around him, how about Aaron Rodgers? He has been driving a Ferrari from the word go in Green Bay, compared to the talent he has had since becoming a starter, to what Alex Smith has had collectively at any time, from front office to the last player on the roster, is a Ford Pinto. Can you even attempt to argue that?

Are you telling me that there is no correlation to the entire team around Tom Brady, Joe Flacco, Aaron Rodgers, and Drew Brees? Can you honestly tell me that with the constant coaching changes, the poorly run management the lack of talent on the offensive side of the ball, that someone like Alex Smith was supposed to over come that? I know the reason that Alex Smith went first overall. And it wasn't Talent. Aaron Rodgers was MORE talented than Alex Smith. The experts knew it, the 49ers knew it, but the head coach, Mike Nolan, didn't like Aaron Rodgers attitude, and the 49ers front office, IE JOHN YORK, didn't want to pay Aaron Rodgers what Aaron Rodgers agents were wanting, which significantly more than Alex Smith. No, Alex Smith is not a franchise qb, no Alex Smith can not win on his own. But, you can not show me ONE single qb who can, and if Alex Smith is not on the qb level of the elite qbs, how could he ever even remotely be successful without the other pieces in place?

Now, if you can disagree with anything I have said right there, you are doing nothing more than trolling, and your mind is made up completely about Alex Smith, which is fine. Im not going to try to change your mind, but as an "alex homer" as you put it, im at least going to try to state the obvious.

Then my question to you is what are your expectations of Alex Smith in the Andy Reid system?

2010 Michael Vick? Some poor man's version of McNabb's numbers? A 30 year old Trent Green/Rich Gannon late career resurgence where hes really, really good in a 3 or 4 year window?

Is that the type of lightning in a bottle you hope to have caught with this player?

so what? 3500 yards and 20 touchdowns and 300 rush yards? Is that your projection?

BigBeauford 06-17-2013 01:44 PM

Most of us expressing the anti-Alex sentiment do so from this prospective: If we are right, there won't be much dissapointment, and if wrong, we can be pleasantly surprised. I know that never again will I be a victim of being so overoptimistic of our qb situation, and to look like a fool in front of my non Chief-fan friends.

Rausch 06-17-2013 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maverick91579 (Post 9757042)
Im addressing you because I actually have a healthy respect for your posting, but the fact that people cant even let these guys get to camp, before having this same ol bullshit here we go again routine, is just silly to me.

When you see your team do the same thing for 20 years you get real tired of it.

And it's not like we don't know what we're getting. This isn't a guy who was a b/u who never got a shot. He's been in the league for years. We know his upside and his drawbacks. You either like what you see or you don't.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maverick91579 (Post 9757042)
I don't know, for me, I would at least wait to start abusing my liver until I saw some games.....

If only I could blame Alex Smith for my liver...

BigMeatballDave 06-17-2013 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qbsacker93 (Post 9757102)
Most of us expressing the anti-Alex sentiment do so from this prospective: If we are right, there won't be much dissapointment, and if wrong, we can be pleasantly surprised. I know that never again will I be a victim of being so overoptimistic of our qb situation, and to look like a fool in front of my non Chief-fan friends.

I've been a fan for 30 years. I'm always prepared for disappointment. The anti-Alex group complains about the same shit every ****ing day. And posts the same stats every ****ing day. Why is that?

mcaj22 06-17-2013 02:34 PM

because it's the NFL and the entire sport is built on statistics. So why wouldnt you use that sample size to argue for or against a player?

Coogs 06-17-2013 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcaj22 (Post 9757092)
Then my question to you is what are your expectations of Alex Smith in the Andy Reid system?

2010 Michael Vick? Some poor man's version of McNabb's numbers? A 30 year old Trent Green/Rich Gannon late career resurgence where hes really, really good in a 3 or 4 year window?

Is that the type of lightning in a bottle you hope to have caught with this player?

so what? 3500 yards and 20 touchdowns and 300 rush yards? Is that your projection?

http://www.pro-football-reference.co...s/htx/2012.htm

Look at these numbers for the Texans last year. Is that too much to expect from this team? I don't think so. Nice balance between the run and the pass. That team was pretty good too... up to the last 4 games of the year.

mcaj22 06-17-2013 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coogs (Post 9757245)
http://www.pro-football-reference.co...s/htx/2012.htm

Look at these numbers for the Texans last year. Is that too much to expect from this team? I don't think so. Nice balance between the run and the pass. That team was pretty good too... up to the last 4 games of the year.

I dont disagree with that balance, my argument was where are we getting a Matt Schaub-like QB from? Who is throwing for 4000 yards? Alex Smith?

What makes anyone think Alex Smith is capable of a 4000 yard season? Because he has Bowe now? That's literally ALL he has on this team in the passing game now until a bunch of borderline Pioli bust draft picks decide to wake up and produce.