ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Armstrong Considering Comeback To Piss Off The French LOL (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=123330)

BIG_DADDY 09-06-2005 03:42 PM

Armstrong Considering Comeback To Piss Off The French LOL

You gotta love this guy.

Armstrong Considering Comeback
Sep 6, 5:03 PM (ET) Email this Story

By JIM VERTUNO
AUSTIN, Texas (AP) - After winning his seventh Tour de France title, Lance Armstrong stepped off the winner's podium in Paris and into retirement, declaring, "I'm finished."

Six weeks later, he's already talking about a comeback.

Recently engaged to rocker girlfriend Sheryl Crow, Armstrong issued a statement Tuesday confirming that he's contemplating a return to competitive cycling in part because he knows how much it would rankle French media who believe his record of seven straight Tour wins is tainted by drug use.

"While I'm absolutely enjoying my time as a retired athlete with Sheryl and the kids, the recent smear campaign out of France has awoken my competitive side," Armstrong said. "I'm not willing to put a percentage on the chances, but I will no longer rule it out."

When he retired, Armstrong said he was looking forward to time away from the grueling months of training and six-hour rides around the countryside.

He planned to spend a few days "with a beer, having a blast" with time dedicated to playing with his three young children from his first marriage.

But he's been dogged in recent weeks with allegations of performance-enhancing drug use. On Aug. 23, the French newspaper L'Equipe reported it had evidence that six of Armstrong's urine samples from the '99 Tour tested positive last year for the blood booster EPO. The substance was banned in 1999, but there was no reliable test at the time.

Armstrong has angrily denied the charge, saying he was a victim of a "setup."

He first hinted of a comeback in an interview Monday with the Austin American-Statesman. An Armstrong spokesman on Tuesday said the comments were a joke, but within hours, the cyclist confirmed it was possible.

"I'm thinking it's the best way," to anger the French, he told the newspaper. "I'm exercising every day."

Dan Osipow, manager of Armstrong's Discovery Channel team, seemed to be caught off-guard by Armstrong's comments, but said the cyclist appears determined to protect his legacy.

"That to me sounds very Lance-like. It leaves things open and the motivation seems pretty clear. He is immensely proud of his reputation," Osipow said.

"Lance was pretty definitive when he announced his plans for retirement. But circumstances change. Who knows?" Osipow said. "I leave that to him. We all know he planned on staying fit."

Although Armstrong will be 34 by next year's race, Osipow said it's likely he could win again.

"People said if he'd stuck around, he'd be the favorite the next two, three, four years," Osipow said.

Armstrong had said he'd be back on the Tour next year, as adviser for the Discovery Channel team. Now it could be as the lead rider.

"He owns part of the team," Osipow said. "If there's a certain rider from Texas who wants to join the team, we'll have space."

dirk digler 09-06-2005 03:43 PM

That's awesome. Fug the pussy Frenchies!

Bowser 09-06-2005 03:47 PM

I'm not saying he did anything wrong, but even if he took some supplement that was outlawed the same year, how do the Frogs go about explaining 2000-2005 to us?

Simplex3 09-06-2005 03:47 PM

Hehe. I hope they keep talking and I hope he kicks their ass for an 8th straight year.

mikey23545 09-06-2005 04:52 PM

I think I just became a Lance Armstrong fan....

Halfcan 09-06-2005 05:08 PM

I hope he comes back and kicks their azzes again.

runnercyclist 09-06-2005 05:14 PM

Go Lance. I love this little fugger. He is the reason I ride.

Tell me again I can't do it!

Keep doubting the Armstrong!

morphius 09-06-2005 05:17 PM

This might force the French to just burry the issue. Stupid bastages.

WisChief 09-08-2005 08:59 AM

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/news/story?id=2154059
Updated: Sep. 7, 2005, 9:28 AM ET

Armstrong to ride with Discovery in DecemberAssociated Press

PARIS -- Lance Armstrong plans to train with his team this winter, increasing speculation he will end his retirement and attempt an eighth straight Tour de France win.

"It's definitely an open possibility, I know he is on the bike," Discovery Channel team director Johan Bruyneel told The Associated Press in a telephone interview Wednesday.

"He absolutely wants to be part of the training camp in December and wants to get fit to compete with the guys there," Bruyneel said, adding that Armstrong can decide to return as late as February.

When Armstrong retired in July after his seventh straight Tour win, Bruyneel had to decide whether to recruit a new team leader. He opted not to do so, suggesting the door may have been kept open for the Texan.

"We didn't really look for somebody to replace him," Bruyneel said. "For one there is nobody, not a strong leader like he was. Without him we have a very good team ... but not the favorites."

The Amaury Sport Organization, which organizes the Tour, would not comment on the speculation.

"We will express ourselves only if and when he decides to come out of retirement," spokesman Christophe Marchadier said. "There is nothing to stop him coming back on the Tour as a professional cyclist."

Armstrong, who turns 34 later this month, won this year's Tour by a comfortable margin -- 4 minutes, 40 seconds ahead of Italian Ivan Basso and 6:21 ahead of Jan Ullrich of Germany.

"I'm sure he could win [another Tour]," Bruyneel said. "The way he won this year ... everything pretty much under control and he never showed any weakness. He has another Tour in his legs yet."

Armstrong, who announced his engagement Monday to rock singer Sheryl Crow, issued a statement Tuesday confirming that he's considering a comeback in part to rankle French media.

On Aug. 23, sports daily L'Equipe, which is owned by the Tour organizer, reported it had evidence that six of Armstrong's urine samples from the 1999 Tour tested positive last year for the blood booster EPO. The substance was banned in 1999, but there was no reliable test at the time.

"I think he's been very offended," Bruyneel said. "If you know him he doesn't need a lot to find some motivation. I think it woke up the competitive side of him."

Should Armstrong return, the media scrutiny surrounding him would be intense and he would likely receive a hostile reception from the French public.

"He proved in the past that he can deal with that. He is at his maximum under pressure," Bruyneel said. "Physically and mentally he can deal with a lot."

beavis 09-08-2005 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser
I'm not saying he did anything wrong, but even if he took some supplement that was outlawed the same year, how do the Frogs go about explaining 2000-2005 to us?

They can't.

It'd be great to watch him come back smoke him again. He must be really pissed considering how adament he was about not coming back.

bkkcoh 09-08-2005 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikey23545
I think I just became a Lance Armstrong fan....

add me to that list also :)

Pennywise 09-08-2005 10:31 AM

Awesome. I think the next time he gives a urine sample he should fill the cup up and throw it in the face of the French observers or collectors.

ROYC75 09-08-2005 11:05 AM

OK Lance, Just Do It ...........

Adept Havelock 09-08-2005 11:10 AM

Go Lance!

BIG_DADDY 09-08-2005 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WisChief
"I think he's been very offended," Bruyneel said. "If you know him he doesn't need a lot to find some motivation. I think it woke up the competitive side of him."

Should Armstrong return, the media scrutiny surrounding him would be intense and he would likely receive a hostile reception from the French public.

"He proved in the past that he can deal with that. He is at his maximum under pressure," Bruyneel said. "Physically and mentally he can deal with a lot."

He has been so good to the French too I find it unbelievable that they would treat him the way they are. It's good to see him back in the saddle I would be pissed as hell if I was another rider. If he spanks all their riders again as old as he's getting it will just make the French look like bigger weasles than they already are if that's even possible.