ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Other Sports *** Official USA vs Belgium World Cup Game Thread *** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=284720)

jd1020 07-02-2014 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TEX (Post 10728593)
Im sooooooo glad the networks toned down their World Cup talk. Got tired of being force fed soccer. It reminds me of all the Manning hype before the Super Bowl and everyone finally shutting the **** up about him after the game.

Probably because there isn't anything to talk about right now. 2 day break from games.

Pablo 07-02-2014 08:17 PM

Quote:

Im sooooooo glad the networks toned down their World Cup talk. Got tired of being force fed soccer. To me it was kind of like all the Manning hype before the Super Bowl and everyone finally shutting the **** up about him after the game.

I know!

It's like you were held down and forced to watch their coverage.

How unfair.

|Zach| 07-02-2014 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 10728597)
Probably because there isn't anything to talk about right now. 2 day break from games.

Yes. World Cup isn't going away yet.

Crush 07-02-2014 08:18 PM

He also doesn't understand that the USMNT still has to qualify for the World Cup. There are only 32 slots.

notorious 07-02-2014 08:19 PM

Quote:

Im sooooooo glad the networks toned down their World Cup talk. Got tired of being force fed soccer. To me it was kind of like all the Manning hype before the Super Bowl and everyone finally shutting the **** up about him after the game.

This is the worst time of the year for sports.

Hell, even ESPN mails it in and has wall-to-wall Jimmy V foundation coverage.

Why do you think they jizz over Favre/Manzel/Lebron this time of year? AIDS

|Zach| 07-02-2014 08:20 PM

CONCACAF sorta hit the skids there.

Reaper16 07-02-2014 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crush (Post 10728604)
He also doesn't understand that the USMNT still has to qualify for the World Cup. There are only 32 slots.

No way there's more than 32 nations in the world. Can't be.

Crush 07-02-2014 08:30 PM

FIFA hints at future U.S. World Cup

FIFA's leaders have flagged up a possible American bid for the 2026 World Cup after the "staggering'' impact of the tournament in the United States.

The U.S. team departed from the World Cup on Tuesday after a thrilling extra-time defeat by Belgium in the first knock-out round, having won universal admiration for their approach.

The level of support in America has been remarkable, breaking all records, with U.S. President Barack Obama and Hollywood star Tom Hanks among those watching the Belgium match and tweeting their support.

FIFA secretary general Jerome Valcke told Brazil newspaper Globo: "What we see in the United States is staggering. The audience is unprecedented, more than the NBA.

"The country has the largest level of youth soccer in the world, 20 million young people playing. There is a commitment from FIFA to work with U.S. Soccer and I think after 2022, they have an interest in hosting the 2026 World Cup.''

FIFA president Sepp Blatter has been equally impressed by the American reaction.

He told Press Association Sport: "It's fantastic -- the level of interest in the USA is very high. This World Cup is really getting under people's skin. The quality of the football is incredible.''

U.S. Soccer president and FIFA executive committee member Sunil Gulati has previously said the United States could bid for 2026 but only if bidding rules change -- it lost out to Qatar for the 2022 tournament. The U.S. previously hosted the World Cup in 1994.

U.S. skipper Clint Dempsey said it was clear the game is on a steep rise in the United States.

Dempsey said: "There is a stat about the average age watching the World Cup being 38. That shows that people who have played the game, have grown with the game, are passing it down to their kids. That is going to help us. It is great to see that the game is on the rise.''

Everton goalkeeper Tim Howard was the American hero, making a World Cup record 16 saves during the match, and he said the fact the United States had qualified from a group also made up of Germany, Portugal and Ghana should be recognised.

He said: "We dreamed and we fell short of our dream. But I think to get out of the 'group of death' and then come up against the Belgian team, it's a tough assignment.

"We were right there, you know? We nearly had it, so hats off to the way we played. We are proud of ourselves and this is a young group, so we'll be back.

"We are hungry and we've tasted what it feels like to play against the best players in the world, the best players around Europe, so hopefully we will be back for more.''

penguinz 07-02-2014 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BDj23 (Post 10728533)
2006 was a choke job. Weren't we like the 4th ranked team in the world heading into Germany?

We were ranked 5th. Still trying to figure out how we played Italy to a draw and lost to Ghana and Czech Republic.

The Bad Guy 07-02-2014 08:44 PM

2026? Hope it's 2022 when they pull it from Qatar.

KCTitus 07-02-2014 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srvy (Post 10728563)
Oh ive seen the Chiefs win and Super Bowl if thats your getting at. USA in world cup 5 wins since 1950. Thats 65 years of nothing but we are so close? As a radio guy said its an exorcise sport for lazy moms or dads to take lil johnny to run off nervous energy. A sport of the well to do and thats just a fact.

Well congratulations for you...Ive never seen KC win a superbowl in my lifetime and by your logic I should hate the entire sport of American football because my team hasnt done anything in the playoffs since 1993.

penguinz 07-02-2014 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srvy (Post 10728571)
They made the finale 16 because of idiotic rules. When you lose yet make it into the finales that's just dumb European rules. They should require teams in that situation to have a win and your in game.

Your and idiot.

Pasta Little Brioni 07-02-2014 08:53 PM

Chief fans knocking the team on a Chief board to themselves as smack is always....hilarious

TambaBerry 07-02-2014 09:02 PM

Can we please ban that guy from all soccer threads?

notorious 07-02-2014 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dingleberry (Post 10728668)
Can we please ban that guy from all soccer threads?

Thatguy isn't bad. He adds burst wherever he treads.